Evil Urges: Your Thoughts 1 Year Later...

Started by capt._headdy, Jun 10, 2009, 09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headhunter

QuoteLast night just proved my theory: whatever it lacks in the studio is irrelevant when done live.

perfectly stated.  last night's performance was spectacular!
was some shakin' and some record playin'

johnnYYac

QuoteLast night just proved my theory: whatever it lacks in the studio is irrelevant when done live.

perfectly stated.  last night's performance was spectacular!
I second that emotion!  Even though its 5th out of 5 on my list of favorite MMJ albums (ISM #1, no question), EU is a great album.  The songs that don't put me in a state of ecstasy (Sec Walkin', Two Halves) have been transformed on stage.  Saturday night was a fantanstic performance of EU, better than many I've seen since Nov. '08.  Add the presence of all you crazy critters all around me, it was "and Beyond!"  
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Brother Beck

I remember listening to Evil Urges when it came out and thinking to myself that some of the songs that I wasn't feeling as much would probably be great live and would win me over.  Unfortunately, for various reasons, I haven't been able to see them live since 2007  :'(  >:(  :-/  so I never got to see whether that held true for me or not.  As a result, there are still a couple tracks that I am just not that into.  That being said, the following chart holds true:  98.8% of MMJ's Glorious Music > The other .2% of MMJ's Glorious Music > All other sounds.  

e_wind

I listen to EU and get a feeling that the other records don't give me. It's my least favorite but it's got a huge "what the fuck" factor (in a good way). I am completely blown away by this bands other side and versatility. Not the best, but really shows what these mother fuckers can bring if they want to.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteI remember listening to Evil Urges when it came out and thinking to myself that some of the songs that I wasn't feeling as much would probably be great live and would win me over.  Unfortunately, for various reasons, I haven't been able to see them live since 2007  :'(  >:(  :-/  so I never got to see whether that held true for me or not.  As a result, there are still a couple tracks that I am just not that into.  That being said, the following chart holds true:  98.8% of MMJ's Glorious Music > The other .2% of MMJ's Glorious Music > All other sounds.  

EU night at T5 was fantastic, if that makes you feel any better.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

capt. scotty

yeah. when I listen to the album, it sags in the middle to the point where i want to skip some songs, but that portion was great live. remnants fuckin shredded as well, too bad they might never play it again..

i shed a couple tears during look at you then again during smokin as i realized the week was almost over.

Oh! Sweet Nuthin was spectacular as well. Jim kills the ending solo.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ws11oLNFY[/media]
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

BH

yeah. when I listen to the album, it sags in the middle to the point where i want to skip some songs, but that portion was great live. remnants fuckin shredded as well, too bad they might never play it again..

i shed a couple tears during look at you then again during smokin as i realized the week was almost over.

Oh! Sweet Nuthin was spectacular as well. Jim kills the ending solo.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ws11oLNFY[/media]

That is spectacular!   That was real close to were I was that last night with my friends Kevin and Steph.  You can here my friend Kevin "Woooooh"ing like a mfer.  

:) :o :'(
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

e_wind

4 years later....

In the past two weeks I've listened to EU many times because my iPod hook up broke and I have super limited CDs in my car.

1.  Its awesome, I think I'm realizing that my least favorite studio album is Z. I think that may be frowned upon, but I'm really diggin EU now more than ever. I've become obsessed with the title track recently.

2. I never realized that the into music on Celebracion... Is the actual strings from EU (the song). That's cool.

3. My lady knows Jims little brother fairly well from childhood/high school and she told me that he let her hear some EU demos before it was released, including a totally different version of Highly Suspicious that was way more 'normal'. Anyone else heard any of these? On a side note, he got he a backstage pass to the MSG NYE show. He used to always say things about "his brothers band" in high school  and people would dismiss it. In my face now, huh?

4. I think Smokin would be a perfect set closing song.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

SaraBananaBear

Agreed! Evil Urges is a beautiful album, I love it with all my heart ♥! :D The Touch Me songs, Librarian, Smokin, Evil Urges, Highly Suspicious, ok I'm about to name every song... It's all good! :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

MamaKel

Evil Urges changed everything for me. I listened to It Still Moves and Z in college, but I feel like I was so into hip hop that those albums were like the planted seeds of my MMJ awakening. Evil Urges came out when I was back home in Chicago, surrounded by a constant influx of different influences and genres. When I heard "Off the Record" on WXRT for the first time, I blasted it immediately. It was one of those "pull over to the side of the road and make sure you hear the name" type songs. And hearing the album, which was so eclectic that you couldn't really call it anything, you just had to let it speak to you...it just made me dive head first into the junkie you read before you today. I will always have a special spot for E.U. And I'm not talkin' the European Union.