Dead Covers at the Fillmore?

Started by Pookiecool, Nov 29, 2006, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghosts_on_TV

I bet if Jerry were still alive, He'd be a huge Jacket fan.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

lazybones

On a side note:  I saw a quote from Dylan in Rolling Stone that claimed that even Dylan claimed that Jerry found the 'song buried' in Dylan's songs and Dylan would actually listen to a Jerry version of a Dylan song to get ideas of new ways to play it.   Crazy but he said it.....[/quote]

I think the reinvention process of a Dead song by the Jacket is what would make it extra special.  If you think about the covers the they have done already, (Prince, Dylan, the Band, etc.) they reinvent the song in their own style without  detracting from the original.  The same way in my opinion that the Dead did with Dylan and many others.  Someone covering a song and sounding exactly like the original is not only pointless but it  lacks any sense of integrity.  MMJ exudes musical truth for lack of a better phrase even in their covers.   They lack any sort of pretension in what they play.   I think they just want to make and play good music which they appreciate and their fans appreciate. The same way the Dead and Dylan did. Sorry for the drunken rambling and/or preachiness.  But as a longtine Dead and Dylan fan I am always amazed at the way true music can influence other great musicians.  It is a testament to the folk cycle.
"There are only two kinds of songs; there's the blues, and there's zip-a-dee-doo-dah."
-Townes Van Zandt

CTdeadhead

I only discovered MMJ last Spring, mostly through the Elizabethtown soundtrack.  I bought it for the Tom Petty track and heard Where to Begin.  I liked it and managed to catch them opening for PJ. I was blown away by their set.  Since then I have gotten every lick of MMJ I can manage to find or download.  The Archive is a godsend.  

That being said, I think its important to point out the not so obvious...it all goes back to the Grateful Dead.  The whole concert industry business model is in large part patterned after theirs.  Taping, trading, ticket sales via the band its all evolved from the Dead.  There was none of that before them. Playing different set lists each night.  Fans migrating to multiple shows...all that stuff...its all from the Dead.  Its embedded in the culture of concerts today.  

I am myself perhaps a little older than many MMJ fans, based on my not so scientific observation at the Avalon last week.  Im almost 40 and have had the chance to see the Dead nearly 4 dozen times over the years.  I haven't had a charge from live music like the one I got from MMJ last week since long before Jerry died.  If you never saw the Dead, I can understand not liking them.  Had I not seen MMJ live, I'd never have "gotten" them.  I will be seeing them as often as possible in the future.  Some bands have to be experienced live and I think this is true of MMJ and the Dead.  

I think Ship of Fools would be great cover material.  Or perhaps Sugaree...that would be great!

MyMorningBongHit

I would love them to cover a Dead tune.. Wharf Rat comes to mind as one that could be incredible

mmjindy

I'd imagine they'd limit a cover tune to 4-5 minutes...Although I'd love to hear Jim belt out "I'll get up and fly away.....", it's just too long of a song.

I'm still in favor of High Time or Candyman.... or any Dead tune with pedal steel...

starkvillebug

id be surprised if they did a dead cover.....but thats just me and if they do...brown eyed women...oww
4 on the floor, 4 in the air....

BluesPower

QuoteI'd imagine they'd limit a cover tune to 4-5 minutes...Although I'd love to hear Jim belt out "I'll get up and fly away.....", it's just too long of a song.

Whats the hurry.

We got all night.    :) :) :)

Pookiecool

Whats the hurry.

We got all night.    :) :) :)

Oh yeah, ALLL night, so soon as well, can't wait, I am seriously losing it.

I LOVE this band.

One of my good friends went and saw the Roseland show in NYC having never heard any of them before, i made him go even though i wasn't there.  In high school he had a ton of Dead tapes, ah the time of the tape...

Anyways, he told me that the Roseland show made him want to go out and start seeing more shows now that he knows that there are bands like MMJ out there.  

During the show he turned to the guy next to him in awe of the power of the jacket and exclaimed "DUDE these guys are ROCKING!"

That they do, and will continue to do for a long time yet.

See you all at the fillmore on the 30th, and the crystal not too long after.  

Pookiecool

QuoteI only discovered MMJ last Spring, mostly through the Elizabethtown soundtrack.  I bought it for the Tom Petty track and heard Where to Begin.  I liked it and managed to catch them opening for PJ. I was blown away by their set.  Since then I have gotten every lick of MMJ I can manage to find or download.  The Archive is a godsend.  

That being said, I think its important to point out the not so obvious...it all goes back to the Grateful Dead.  The whole concert industry business model is in large part patterned after theirs.  Taping, trading, ticket sales via the band its all evolved from the Dead.  There was none of that before them. Playing different set lists each night.  Fans migrating to multiple shows...all that stuff...its all from the Dead.  Its embedded in the culture of concerts today.  

I am myself perhaps a little older than many MMJ fans, based on my not so scientific observation at the Avalon last week.  Im almost 40 and have had the chance to see the Dead nearly 4 dozen times over the years.  I haven't had a charge from live music like the one I got from MMJ last week since long before Jerry died.  If you never saw the Dead, I can understand not liking them.  Had I not seen MMJ live, I'd never have "gotten" them.  I will be seeing them as often as possible in the future.  Some bands have to be experienced live and I think this is true of MMJ and the Dead.  

I think Ship of Fools would be great cover material.  Or perhaps Sugaree...that would be great!

You are totally right, I never really thought of it that way, but I guess I always knew that the Dead were the forefathers of the whole live music family if you will.  Being a New Englander, I followed Phish for a while and enjoyed the late 90's following until it became too huge and drugged out with a gradual decline in music quality.

I couldn't believe how strong of a following MMJ had when i first discovered them.  They are by far my favorite band: diverse, talented, kick ass and beautiful.  I can see myself travelling far to witness their greatness live.  Judging by the setlists, they do still play a lot of the same songs each night, which i definately do not mind.  I am curious to see their evolution as they gain popularity exponentially and continue to write more music.  

I think with the arrival of their next album (2007?) we will start to see a lot more variation in their setlists from show to show.  Especially in multi-night runs in the same town.  Can't wait.

megisnotreal

I don't know Corey, I swear I don't have a hard time picturing you noodling in a loin cloth to a Grateful Dead cover band's version of Sugar Magnolia in some random field in northern Alabama with 2 or 3 hippy chicks who dropped out of Birmingham-Southern, whacked out on X and driving their daddy's SUV. I can see this pretty clearly...

this post is reason #46 that I think Tracy is awesome.

CTdeadhead

this post is reason #46 that I think Tracy is awesome.
Can you smell the patchouli oil???

pawpaw

I think that some of the more straight forward, "rocking" Dead songs would be great with the MMJ treatment, something like 'Bertha' or 'Big River'. But, another great song for the New Years run, paying tribute to another historical Fillmore band, would be Jefferson Airplane's 'Volunteers'. My Morning Jacket would absolutely RIP that song up!

I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THESE SHOWS!!!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

wordawg

Morning Dew
Tenesee Jed
Ship of Fools
Althea
Deal
US Blues
Trucking
Watkins Glen Jam!
Scarlet Begonias
He's Gone
China Cat Sunflower

anything.............

deadawg
the future is Ginger

TheBigChicken

The thought of that makes me want to skip the concert completely.  >:(
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

ManNamedTruth

QuoteThe thought of that makes me want to skip the concert completely.  >:(
you're loss
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

pjtaper

QuoteOK then. How about:
I really, really, really dislike their music.

I'm not denying the fact that they are/were talented musicians. I just can't stand the music.

[size=10]Although, I enjoy Counting Crows' cover of "Friend of the Devil". Did I just admit that?
[/size]
I wouldn't admit that you prefer Countin Crows covering a dead song to the original...
yikes...

Jaimoe

Any chance MMJ will try out covers from another legendary Fillmore band: The Allman Brothers?

Chills

QuoteAny chance MMJ will try out covers from another legendary Fillmore band: The Allman Brothers?

That would indeed be cool. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed?

Although, to end all discussions, they should just open with Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy and close with Breaking The Law by Judas Priest.  [smiley=evil.gif]

Anu

JJ on JG: "There was just something about him that was insanely magical."

I'm sure that some of us would say the same about the Jacket, and it's in our devotion that the similarity continues.

However, I felt the kinship the first few times I listened to Z, and now having seen the band, I sense it even stronger than before.

If they were going to do a dead cover, New Year's Eve would be a time to try it, no?