Bonnaroo Artist Announcement Feb. 14

Started by The_DARK, Feb 09, 2007, 10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ms. yvon

oh man.  i may just have to hit it this year.

although...the memory of that mud from 2004 still haunts my dreams...  :P

wilco!  black keys!  gillian welch!  manu chao!  old crow!  the police!  the decemberists!

everyone get there "please don't let all the acts i want to see be playing at the same time" voodoo working.  ;)
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

el_chode

i have faith they'll be added. the lineup is so good already they had to save someone for the end. my bets are that mmj, the stooges, or neil young get tapped for rounds 2 or 3. plus, maybe i've missed it, but aside from bob weir there doesn't seem to be a single member of phish OR the dead slated to play yet. that just seems off. they've got some tricks up their sleeve still.

last year they were pretty good about scheduling acts so there was minimal overlapping.

mmj is a bonnaroo institution. they have to be incorporated somehow. imagine that the superjam is none other than my morning jacket? that would be amazing.
I'm surrounded by assholes

soapypnkprojctle

I've got to agree, Les Claypool isn't on there either, and we all know he's always there, so he's gotta be added, and he was last year. I think they're just putting us all in suspense! I mean that has to be the answer.. My Morning Jacket, as a whole, has always said in any interview that playing Bonnaroo is their favorite festival/venue to play! So they've got to... more or less..

el_chode

yeah my buddy and i were noticing that there's no claypool anywhere on there. also, this lineup so far is very light on hip hop and jazz-based music. i'd expect to see MMW or scofield at least, if not bad plus and benevento/russo or some other variant of that style.

i admit, i could go without rx bandits and franz ferdinand, and i'm praying they don't add arcade fire. we don't need to add any pretentious hipster bands to cry on stage for us.

all in all though, even if they didn't add anyone else, it's still a great show. it just needs the mmj cherry on top. though i think that spinal tap would be a better headliner than tool.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Don Dante

QuoteI just thought of this idea thats so awseome i would die from it
Saturday night at the roo, just as The White Stripes wrap up and people head over to see Tool, they gather around the dark stage. They wait for 30 minutes and nothing happens. Tons of hipsters and hippies, put off by Tool, wander around to the other stages or an MMJ party. Just then, out of no where, the riff from One Big Holiday sounds through the whole farm and the stage stays dark. Everyone runs to the stage in a giant stampede, and just then, the lights fly on and standing in the forefront, shredding away, hair flying, is Jim James, flanked by the rest of the band. Apparently Tool's flight is late, and they had to call up Jim and the boys in an emergency. They then proceed to play the most amazing 3 and half hour set in recorded history.

This was awesome by the way.  Every sould on the farm would be absolutely rocked.  I just know that if you give them enough wattage, the highest volume and brightest lights, people will come.  Oh yes, people will come.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

fan75

QuoteAm I the only one who thinks the White Stripes suck live? I've seen a number of televised performances, and I would never pay to see them. Them and Modest Mouse are just sloppy as hell live. I love both of them, but damn... pull it together.

I saw them at the Fox Theatre and it was fantastic.  I also have the DVD Under Black Pool Lights and I love it.   I did however think the sound on the MTV special that they did from Brazil (? I think) was not great, so maybe you are thinking of that?  I think their raw powerful sound is better in person than on video.
You must've missed this classic performance of The White Stripes then http://youtube.com/watch?v=xi8KdTk0u0g&mode=related&search=  (I just loved their chemistry when I orignally saw this on TV 3 yrs ago.  ;))

On a separate note, I think we are SOL on the jacket.  Why would they be added later?  I mean at this point, don't you think they would have a pretty good idea if they wanted to play there again?   I just think Jim, has fully conquered that festival after '06 and wants to move on to other things.  They really would have a hard time topping that last performance.  Maybe Jim could just swing in for a hour long daytime solo set.

I like your idea about Jim playing a guest solo set.  Yeah that'd be pretty cool 'd imagine.  8-)
http://savefile.com/projects/808465307
[url]http://savefile.com/projects/808465344[/url]

GaFunk

QuoteYou must've missed this classic performance of The White Stripes then http://youtube.com/watch?v=xi8KdTk0u0g&mode=related&search=  (I just loved their chemistry when I orignally saw this on TV 3 yrs ago.  ;))

I guess my issue is that meg is an ok drummer at best. Jack is an amazing musician, I just don't get her. I don't really feel there is much chemistry between them. I just see tons of energy coming off off him and a bland 4/4 beat coming off the drums.

EC

yeah, meg is a shitty drummer, but she gets a pass since she's a chick.
please explain this statement.

and it'd better be good.

cmccubbin@work

and it'd better be good.

uh oh aMD...you're in trouble now!
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Arcade Fire? Cry? You must be out of your mind? have you ever seen them live? they are by far one the most incredible bands you will ever see preform...beside MMJ.  I put them up there with all the great shows i have had the pleasure to see in my life

Tool - Coachella
Radiohead - 2 nights at the Greek Theater in Berkeley
Widespread Panic - Vegoose closing night 2
White Stripes - 2 nights at the Greek Theater in Berkeley
My Morning Jacket - New Years S.F (#1 NO DOUBT)
but Arcade Fire - Vegoose simply stole the show

while everyone was running to Dave Mathews panzy ass, Arcade Fire threw down harder than any band at that fest.  They are an amazing band and it would be an honor if they got added for they push the limits of music and push the limits of how far your soul can really reach towards music.  

But to the real topic...MMJ will get added.  they have to right? they will be the only reason i will make the drive from Calif.  I need to seem them in their HOME.
God damn those shaky knees.

Reverend ToneZone

QuoteLet this be clear, my fellow fans:

If MMJ does not play this year, I will host a MMJ party at my campsite. I make sure to get there early to get central camping. Last year we were pushing jello shots onto everyone under the giant "2"
Count me in.  I'll be there for that!
None of this is physical . . . at least not to me.

cmccubbin@work

QuoteArcade Fire? Cry? You must be out of your mind? have you ever seen them live? they are by far one the most incredible bands you will ever see preform...beside MMJ.  I put them up there with all the great shows i have had the pleasure to see in my life

Tool - Coachella
Radiohead - 2 nights at the Greek Theater in Berkeley
Widespread Panic - Vegoose closing night 2
White Stripes - 2 nights at the Greek Theater in Berkeley
My Morning Jacket - New Years S.F (#1 NO DOUBT)
but Arcade Fire - Vegoose simply stole the show

while everyone was running to Dave Mathews panzy ass, Arcade Fire threw down harder than any band at that fest.  They are an amazing band and it would be an honor if they got added for they push the limits of music and push the limits of how far your soul can really reach towards music.  

But to the real topic...MMJ will get added.  they have to right? they will be the only reason i will make the drive from Calif.  I need to seem them in their HOME.

then you need to see them in L'ville
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

aMD

and it'd better be good.

I think it's pretty self-explanatory, but I'll put in other words: she would not be in a band on the level on white stripes if she didn't have tits.

EC

I think it's pretty self-explanatory, but I'll put in other words: she would not be in a band on the level on white stripes if she didn't have tits.
right, so to make it even plainer: it's ok to be a crappy musician if you're a girl.  
am i understanding you correctly?
meg white is a bad drummer (according to you), but that's ok, you don't care, because she's a woman.

aMD

right, so to make it even plainer: it's ok to be a crappy musician if you're a girl.  
am i understanding you correctly?
meg white is a bad drummer (according to you), but that's ok, you don't care, because she's a woman.

well, not completely.  I don't much care for the white stripes because she sucks and because jack's voice gets on my nerves.  i'm saying the general public gives her a pass because she's a woman.  that said, if she looked like sasha cohen I might be more tempted to go see them.

Believe me, I'm not the only one who feels this way and it goes both ways.  do you think John Mayer would be as popular as he is if he looked like Meatloaf?  

For me, there's not anything sexier in the world than watching a chick bare her soul and rock out on stage.  Is there something wrong with that?

EC

no, there's nothing wrong with that.
i just had to google john mayer because i didn't know who he was.
and it looks like kathleen edwards is opening for him here in canada.
which just makes this whole series more circular...  what a funny day.
anyhow, wow, that dude had 14,000 plays on myspace.  holy.
did kathleen edwards sign to columbia??  let me check.  it doesn't appear so.
yeah, i'm not crazy about that dude's music, but i also don't really find him attractive.  i like watching women rock out on stage, too, aMD.  i also like watching fellas rock out.  moreso.  
i actually like the white stripes, and i dig meg.  but i have different ideas about drumming.

it just felt like you might've been suggesting that women had different perameters of musical ability than men, so i needed to clarify.  'tis all.

just one fan

Now that the Bonnaroo festival is set up as an annual "event" and the spontaneity is gone, we, the people, need to understand something: although Bonnaroo is an amazing place for fans and bands alike, it is now a corporate money-maker.  It's a venue for up-and-comers, has-beens, and bands who are attempting to discover a new audience and sell more albums.  For My Morning Jacket it served as a vehicle.   I wouldn't have gone to Bonaroo last year if My Morning Jacket wasn't going to be there, but when the announcement came that they were playing at midnight in a tent I knew it was going to be a show.  Who can deny the '06 3hr+ late-night tent performance as nothing short of DEFINATIVE? My life would be incomplete if I wouldn't have been there. If you missed it, you really missed it.  But why would a band like MMJ even want to follow up this year?  We've seen them grow with each year at Bonnaroo and it's given us music to love. Take a break, spread it around to other festivals and venues, work on the next album, the next move.  Bonnaroo has seen the show, and it was GREAT! I doubt they'll even be there this year.  But let's be happy about what's to come instead.  Am I wrong?

aMD

agreed, justonefan.  I also think that this must have had something to do with the band's decision.  Didn't MTV buy the roo last year?  It's devolving and it may be time to move on.

cobrah

QuoteNow that the Bonnaroo festival is set up as an annual "event" and the spontaneity is gone, we, the people, need to understand something: although Bonnaroo is an amazing place for fans and bands alike, it is now a corporate money-maker.  It's a venue for up-and-comers, has-beens, and bands who are attempting to discover a new audience and sell more albums.

Bonnaroo has always been an annual event. They have always made money. It has always been a venue for up-and-comers, has-beens, and bands who are attempting to discover a new audience and sell more albums (and bands that just kick ass no matter what). Why diss Roo now? Because MMJ isn't on the bill? I, the people, do not understand.

MTV never bought the festival, nothing but a rumor.

TEO

Try to go see Gogol Bordello. You may not care for their music all that much, but they will give a performance that you will not soon forget. A little fodder for the campsite discussions so to speak.......    
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary