Main Menu

Gary Clark Jr.

Started by columba78, May 17, 2011, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

columba78

Just learned about him in an article of "Rolling Stone". A 27 year old blues guitarist who is really, really good. His Song "Bright Lights" sounds a bit like "The Black Keys"

It is worth checking him out:
http://www.garyclarkjr.com/videos

ALady

I am in love with this man.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

capt. scotty

I probably read the same article a month or so ago in that Rolling Stone that was like X# of things to look for in 2011. Saw him mentioned and made a note in my phone because it sounded worth listening to, but forget to give him a listen. Plus theres an ALady approval? I guess I'll have to make sure I listen soon!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

subinai

downloaded his EP from iTunes and it is aaaaaweesssommeeee.

Jaimoe

He fucking rocks! He's a combo of alot of old school influences, R&B too. He's a devolved rough-around-the-edges player, which I love. Blues needs more artists such as Clark and Black Keys. I haven't felt this kind of blues buzz for one dude since Robert Cray and Stevie Ray resurrected the genre back in the '80s.

This kicks out the jams:

Gary Clark Jr. - Bright Lights

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

oistheone

Going to see him in a tiny club tonight, looking forward to it!

JaneCool

I just now saw this thread! I recently discovered him myself. As a matter of fact, I just posted that very same video in "songs that are blowing your mind" last night!  8)

Lucky you oistheone, I hope you'll post about it after!
So, I do believe.....

Murph

ironmike

Please come home is sick!!...guy has so much talent....would love to see him live

oistheone

As expected, Gary was fuckin' awesome last night. Played for nearly two hours, mixin' up his Delta blues numbers with some Chuck Berry-style rock and some sweet, sweet soul. The guy is not going to be playing clubs for very long -- a definite star in the making. There was a serious buzz throughout the place, and it seemed like Gary and the band really appreciated all the support. It was the drummer's birthday and he seemed to be having a blast. I somehow ended up in the dressing room after the show and got a chance to give Gary and the band some props. And damn, Gary is one tall dude.

Here's a video from last night of the Gary Clark Trio (as I call them) jamming out Don't Owe You a Thing:

Gary Clark Jr. -- Don't Owe You a Thang -- Live at the Rivoli

ALady

Dang.  So I should go see him tonight, then?

Hmmm.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

oistheone

Quote from: ALady on Aug 22, 2011, 01:42 PM
Dang.  So I should go see him tonight, then?

Hmmm.

Yes. Yes you should.

tdb810

OK, heard this guy about a month ago, and now just really getting into him....

Whoa...nice sounds man, nice sounds. 
.....Back at the Model Home

bold992006

heard about him a while back....music needs people like this.  The Blues are my favorite and there should be more it.

Def need to see him live.

tdb810

Quote from: bold992006 on Sep 13, 2011, 11:54 AM
heard about him a while back....music needs people like this.  The Blues are my favorite and there should be more it.

Def need to see him live.

YES!

tdb810

Night before MSG at Mercury Lounge....oh my

http://www.garyclarkjr.com/

subinai

Quote from: tdb810 on Nov 04, 2011, 11:41 PM
Night before MSG at Mercury Lounge....oh my

http://www.garyclarkjr.com/

hell. yes. not even up on the mercury lounge site yet. i am IN for this.

Fully

Thanks to you guys, I just bought the ep. I'm blown away by the music. Thanks for pointing me to this find.

Wonderful_Man

Saw him a couple years ago at Clapton's Crossroads Festival, had some technical issues and only those of us up front really got to hear him. But he was easily the surprise of the day for me, definitely worth a listen.