New live album coming...

Started by johnnYYac, Jun 10, 2016, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

"We're in the process of doing another live record so another thing that I found while remixing this is like "Wow, all these songs have changed even more live."

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/jim-james-interview-my-morning-jacket-it-still-moves-remaster

It Still Moves, Still: Jim James Discusses My Morning Jacket's Remastered Blast from the Past

By Dan Hyman

Jim James is not one for nostalgia. Indulging in it can fool one into a grander opinion of themselves. The My Morning Jacket frontman even goes so far as to call it "dangerous." Yet his band just reissued its monumental 2003 album It Still Moves, and, by some small wonder, I found myself on the phone with James discussing it on a recent afternoon.

On the surface, It Still Moves was a mammoth success. It took a then up-and-coming band signed to a independent label into a revered major-label rock outfit in the elite class of bands to have headlined nearly every major music festival. Earwormy tracks like "One Big Holiday," "Golden," and "Mahgeetah" have become staples of the band's celebrated live show because of their anthemic choruses, ripping riffs and crowd sing-along potential. But the album always nagged at James. Yes, on the rare occasions the singer listened back to It Still Moves, he couldn't stand what he heard.

"Any time I would listen to it I would be like 'Oh man, I wish this could have come out better' or 'I wish that could have been a little more clear,'" he admits. "It didn't sound right." So when ATO Records, in celebration of the label's 15th anniversary, presented the band with the opportunity to reissue It Still Moves, the Louisville musicians jumped at the chance. The remixed and touched-up deluxe reissue, which also includes a handful of demos from the album's recording sessions, was released May 27.

Now, as James reflects back with Noisey on the album's initial recording, the remixing process, and the mountains of other My Morning Jacket demos he hopes to eventually release, he can breathe easy knowing that It Still Moves at last sounds as he'd hoped it would from the start.

Noisey: Let's start with the obvious question: What bothered you about the original version of It Still Moves?
Jim James: Well, it was just kind of that we were rushed through the original mixing process. We were still pretty new to making records. Our first two records we made completely by ourselves at our home studio. We worked on them over the course of a couple months. So we weren't rushed; as we'd finish a song we'd mix it or whatever. But with this record, when we finished, we just had this really short window of time before we were supposed to get back out on the road. So we were really stressing over mixing it. And when we tried mixing it at home it didn't sound right. So we flew out to Capitol in LA and mixed it there. When we left it we were happy with it; it's not like we were severely bumming on it. But I think we were just green and didn't know that we should have taken more time on it rather than rushing to go play more shows. We should have waited on the record or canceled the shows to take the time to finish the record.

Has it nagged at you for the last 13 years?
Hindsight is always 20/20. It's not one of those things that has made me lose sleep or anything. It's just one of those things in the back of my mind. I always thought (a reissue would happen) for more of a 25th anniversary of the album or something like that. But then when ATO approached us about wanting to re-release it for their 15th anniversary it lit up a light in my head and I was like, "Yeah, let's do that. I've always wanted to remix it anyway."

Are you one to listen back to old MMJ albums?
No. I can't listen to them. When you listen to yourself so long ago it's such a weird experience. But there are times when I had to go back and listen to a song to learn it if, say, it was a song we hadn't played in awhile just to re-remember how I played it or what I did. Those are the only times I listen to them. And any time I would do that (with It Still Moves) I would be like "Oh man, I wish this could have come out better" or "I wish that could have been a little more clear." That kind of stuff.

It Still Moves came at a very transitional point for MMJ.
It was definitely a big time of change for us. We'd signed to a major-label deal and there's always the pressure of that process and wanting to do something we believed in artistically but also hoping it would be successful. Also, after we did some touring for the record, our original guitarist (Johnny Quaid) and keyboardist (Danny Cash) left the band so it was also a lot of change and turmoil in that regard. But luckily we found (guitarist) Carl (Broemel) and (keyboardist) Bo (Koster), and they came in and have been in ever since. But yeah, it was a crazy time.

Some of the songs on the album have become live staples. Do you feel then it was a crucial one for the band?
I consider every album important. I kind of consider them all the same. I look back at them, and it's like looking back through a time machine. At that particular moment of time, whatever album it was, that was the most important thing in the world to me other than the people I love. I know every album we've done I've put every last ounce of energy that I had into it.

When looking back at old albums I also imagine there's a fine line of not indulging in the nostalgic aspect of it all.
Yeah. Nostalgia is dangerous. It's fun and it's nice, but I feel like it can be a dangerous thing if you get too sucked into it and living in the past. That's one of my favorite things about music: It will last forever. And hopefully people will enjoy it forever. Obviously everybody hopes the music they make will stand the test of time and people will want to listen to it years from now. I looked at this project as remixing this thing and getting it the way I wanted it to be and then kind of walking away from it forever. Because the rest of our catalog I don't really have any desire to revisit or remix or anything. Now I can set this one on the shelf.

How active a role did you personally play in the remixing?

We had Kevin Ratterman mix it; he's worked with us a lot and played a lot of shows with us and really knows us and also knows that record really well. So he would start and pull up the old mix and then pull up the mix he was working on and get it started, and then I would come in and say "Oh, it needs more snare or more guitar" or whatever I thought. It was a pretty quick process actually 'cause he's got really good ears. He'd cook up a quick mix and then (drummer) Patrick (Hallahan) and I would listen to it and give him a few notes. But other than that we were pretty happy about it.

I was happy to see you guys included demos for nearly every album track on the reissue.
I think that stuff's fun. I know any band I enjoy I really love hearing the demo recordings. It's such a cool thing to hear. It's usually just the person sitting there with a guitar or piano or whatever just working through the song or committing the song to tape for the first time just to remember it. I dunno... there's just something so fascinating about that when you compare it to not only what the album version ends up being but if you listen to a live recording of how the song is now it's even different still. It's kind of cool that a song can change and grow over time. We're in the process of doing another live record so another thing that I found while remixing this is like "Wow, all these songs have changed even more live."

I'd have to imagine watching these songs evolve over time in the live setting is what keeps them fresh.
Yeah, it's crazy. It just sounds different. We all change as people, and even if the song structurally hasn't changed I feel like I sing it differently or we play it faster or slower or however we've changed in regards to that song. I think that's pretty cool.

Back to the demos—do you guys have a backlog of them for all your material or is it pretty limited?

There are tons of demos for every record. That's one of the fun things as the years go by: We can do a release of demos for whatever anniversary of the record or whenever that comes up. Hopefully people would enjoy that 'cause I really enjoy that.

On a widescreen level, does a project like the It Still Moves reissue help you assess where you're at now as a songwriter versus earlier in your career?

I mean I hope the music I make always sounds different than the music I've made before. I think the only reason to want to keep listening to somebody is if they are making new sounds. Obviously part of what you do will always sound like you because you are who you are. But I feel like there's so much music in the world, and you could never listen to it all. So therefore there's so much limitless inspiration from which to make new music. I'm not listening to what I was listening to back then or living the way I was living. I try to keep an open ear.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

wheelhousetunes

This is the part that got me most excited:

"There are tons of demos for every record. That's one of the fun things as the years go by: We can do a release of demos for whatever anniversary of the record or whenever that comes up. Hopefully people would enjoy that 'cause I really enjoy that."

Glad Jim feels that way. I know I do!

MOWJO8185

This, to me, explains the relative silence on the livedownloads.com front. They don't want too many recent shows out there available for purchase when they have a proper live album on the horizon.

Very exciting news. I'm assuming it's the Beacon based on the no taping policy. I just hope, that in addition to the compilation of songs over the 4 nights that is likely to be the more widespread release, they also release a box set of all 4 nights for the diehard fans. Not having every song just feels criminal to me.

Cameron

walterfredo

I would assume the Beacon as well.

Murph

How the hell do you not follow up that answer with:
"Can you tell me about this live record?"

That's just poor journalism haha.  Very exciting news though.  Here's hoping for the Beacon Run to be released since I've given up hope of ever hearing the T5 shows.

ericm

Quote from: Murph on Jun 10, 2016, 03:54 PM
How the hell do you not follow up that answer with:
"Can you tell me about this live record?"

That's just poor journalism haha.  Very exciting news though.  Here's hoping for the Beacon Run to be released since I've given up hope of ever hearing the T5 shows.

I'm with you just about all the way there Murph!  :thumbsup:

I haven't really given up on ever hearing the T5 shows but I've just stopped thinking about them. I'm the eternal optimist so always holding out hope but I'm not giving them any more thought til if and when there's an official announcement on them.  :wink:  :beer:

"Where's Jim going?"

walterfredo

As much as I would prefer it to be T5, the Beacon seems more logical based upon the inclusion of songs from the recent albums. I've all but given up hope on T5 ever being released.

subinai

Quote from: walterfredo on Jun 10, 2016, 04:43 PM
As much as I would prefer it to be T5, the Beacon seems more logical based upon the inclusion of songs from the recent albums. I've all but given up hope on T5 ever being released.

agreed. if they do beacon, i wonder if they'll do all of the nights or a compilation.

as for T5, i'd be more than happy with buying it off of live downloads. but we'll see.

oistheone

I know this is a VERY unpopular opinion around here, but I really wouldn't mind seeing a "Live Anthology"-type release, with a bunch of awesome takes from different shows stitched together to create a "show" per disc. Petty and Bruce did similar releases and I love 'em. Flows all the way through and you get bangin' take after bangin' take, no weak spots!

MOWJO8185

I'm good with compilations or anthologies in general, as the idea of getting only the best live performances from a tour, or even a series of tours, would make for a great live album. What I am NOT in favor of is for any potential compilation to take songs from Beacon or T5, at the expense of those ever getting a more comprehensive release.  They seem like they were both just such a special run of shows with so many deep cuts, that it's hard to imagine me not being disappointed about something that was left off.

Now, I could care less about what format I get those complete shows in.  If they put all those shows on livedownloads.com, and save the more proper "live album" for a compilation type thing, I'd be thrilled with that.

parkervb

Okonokos is not a complete show, so it appears the precedent has been set. If I had to guess, it's another 4 disc record release with digital downloads of the remaining songs.
Don't you ever turn it off

subinai

just re-visited the set lists from the beacon run and yes please - will take that as a box set!

beardedwonder

Quote from: subinai on Jun 13, 2016, 08:05 PM
just re-visited the set lists from the beacon run and yes please - will take that as a box set!

yes. I'm in for this. how many records is that? 16 likely?
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

ericm

Quote from: beardedwonder on Jun 13, 2016, 10:53 PM
Quote from: subinai on Jun 13, 2016, 08:05 PM

yes. I'm in for this. how many records is that? 16 likely?

That'll work!    :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

subinai

if the PC shows were 2-3 discs per night (based off my iTunes), i have no idea how that would translate into vinyl. my mention of a box set in my earlier post is speculation. if they did do that though it would be $$$

Lonndown27

i dont like the idea of a limited edition vinyl boxset that costs 300 dollars for either T5 OR Beacon or whatever is coming out next....I think this live album / DVD NEEDS to be something anyone can buy to get into these guys...Okonokos got them so many fans, and still does, that needs to be replicated with the second phase of their career....cause now we're getting to the third phase....the EVIL URGES / CIRCUITAL / WATERFALL era must be captured, with applicable cuts not shown or heard on the Okonokos first volume: Phone Went West, War Begun, Picture of You, The Bear etc.

I would buy anything the guys put out, obviously, but I'd rather go for a DVD / multiple CD set instead of a vinyl only release. That seems so limiting to me...I LOVE and ADORE vinyl...but I gotta have things on multiple formats.

Knowing MMJ they'll get this exactly right. They always do
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Woody

Any new rumblings on the live release which I assume will be from the Beacon run? A release leading up to the holidays perhaps?

rna2525

I think its a outside shot but the "LIVE" album might very easily be the run from Lousville shows.They had the stage flowered up & it was an amazing two night.

This is the underdog call that i think takes it.

parkervb

Quote from: rna2525 on Oct 18, 2016, 01:01 PM
I think its a outside shot but the "LIVE" album might very easily be the run from Lousville shows.They had the stage flowered up & it was an amazing two night.

This is the underdog call that i think takes it.

would definitely make sense for a live DVD. I feel like someone said they saw cameras set up but I am hazy on that.
Don't you ever turn it off