Tribute to 2 - new Jim covers album

Started by parkervb, Oct 30, 2017, 09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkervb

Looks like our guy Jim has another album of covers as a sequel to A Tribute To, his George Harrison tribute album.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tribute-to-2/id1298109507

Beach Boys covers, Willie Nelson, Dylan and more

Don't you ever turn it off

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

Tribute to 2 comes out December 8

http://atorecords.com/tributeto2/

Includes his sought-after cover of Lucky Man by ELP, originally recorded for a Volkswagen commercial...

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Cameron

parkervb

oh man, so so good. I need an entire album of Pet Sounds/Wild Honey era Beach Boys. Ordered the Deluxe bundle since they ingeniously included A Tribute To on vinyl
Don't you ever turn it off

Stevie

that's weird.. if you click on that top link to ATO, it says he covers Ella Fitzgerald.  But there are no Ella Fitzgerald songs on the track list.  The description must have been edited at some point after he decided to cut that song..if there was one.

APR

Wow this came out of nowhere.  The man is always working (thankfully).  I'd love a JJ covers tour!  I can't wait to listen to the new tune posted above.  Thanks!

CountSA

1. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (The Beach Boys)
2. Baby Don't Go (Sonny & Cher)
3. Wild Honey (Dianne Izzo)
4. Midnight, the Stars and You (Ray Noble & al Bowlly)
5. Crying in the Chapel (Elvis Presley)
6. Funny How Time Slips Away (Willie Nelson)
7. Love Is The Sweetest Thing (Ray Noble & Al Bowlly)
8. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Bob Dylan)
9. Lucky Man (Emerson, Lake 7 Palmer)
10. The World is Falling Down (Abbey Lincoln)
11. Blue Skies (Irving Berlin)

Cameron

Quote from: APR on Oct 30, 2017, 12:59 PM
Wow this came out of nowhere.  The man is always working (thankfully).  I'd love a JJ covers tour!  I can't wait to listen to the new tune posted above.  Thanks!

Agree. Or just a solo acoustic tour.

sillyboob

Quote from: Stevie on Oct 30, 2017, 12:49 PM
that's weird.. if you click on that top link to ATO, it says he covers Ella Fitzgerald.  But there are no Ella Fitzgerald songs on the track list.  The description must have been edited at some point after he decided to cut that song..if there was one.

In a Facebook post, from Rough Trade records, it says all formats come with a Rough Trade bonus CD featuring This Is Romance and It's All Forgotten.  Either one of these an Ella Fitzgerald track?
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

dogwoody

one of the coolest pictures I've seen of him

Stevie

Quote from: sillyboob on Oct 30, 2017, 03:06 PM
Quote from: Stevie on Oct 30, 2017, 12:49 PM

In a Facebook post, from Rough Trade records, it says all formats come with a Rough Trade bonus CD featuring This Is Romance and It's All Forgotten.  Either one of these an Ella Fitzgerald track?

good find! but no it doesnt appear so.  in fact i cant place either song via simple google search so they must be relatively obscure..

or

new Jim songs?

TheRoof

Maybe?

It's All Forgotten

This Is Romance

You Are Everything

DaFunkyPrecedent

Just heard "The World Is Falling Down" and I must say...that was probably the most unlistenable Jim James / My Morning Jacket thing I've ever heard. 
God damn those shaky knees.

oistheone

I agree that the latest single is a little jarring. There's some obviously mangled chords halfway through the song -- those might be the first bum notes I've ever heard on a JJ or MMJ track. But I think the flub just adds to the song's charm. And these are some of Jim's most impassioned vocals in years. Clearly this one isn't meant for the party mix, but toss on some headphones and you can't help but be impressed.

justbcuzido

Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on Nov 21, 2017, 12:18 PM
Just heard "The World Is Falling Down" and I must say...that was probably the most unlistenable Jim James / My Morning Jacket thing I've ever heard. 

Have you heard the Backstreet Boys cover? That was straight garbage and I pretend it doesn't exist.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

wheelhousetunes

The first Tribute To was great, but that was the At Dawn era Jim.

I haven't liked anything he's done solo since (other than his live performances of MMJ stuff).

I love the guy and I'm sure I'm in the very minority there, but it's just not for me.

BH

Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on Nov 21, 2017, 12:18 PM

I kind of dug that one actually.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH