X-MAS JAM JIM JAMES FULL SET ( VIDEO)

Started by cshum372, Dec 11, 2018, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cshum372

Hey folks,

If you haven't already had a chance to check out Jim's set at Christmas Jam- there is a beautiful stream posted on YouTube. Enjoy!

Setlist:

Just a Fool
Throwback
Get to Rome
Here in Spirit
Over and Over
No Use Waiting
No Secrets
New Life ( Has it ever been played at this tempo??)
State of the Art

cshum372

If you wanna check out the rock tempo " New Life" it starts around 31:09

parkervb

nice, looks like this guy has all the Xmas Jam stuff. Going to checkout Dark Side of the Mule (Jim on Us and Them)
Don't you ever turn it off

cshum372

Quote from: parkervb on Dec 11, 2018, 02:34 PM
nice, looks like this guy has all the Xmas Jam stuff. Going to checkout Dark Side of the Mule (Jim on Us and Them)

I used to live in Asheville, and have attended or streamed every X-mas jam for the past 10 years or so. This year's was really wonderful! There's so much great music that came from the " house band"- Now i live 10 hours away from Asheville, but still love the tradition of staying up, making cookies, eggnog, and jamming through these marathon shows! :P

ericm

I heard there was a killer pop up show in town taboot as guys couldn't get out of town because of the snow.   :cool:  $10 a ticket and sold out in a heartbeat.   :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

cshum372

Quote from: ericm on Dec 11, 2018, 04:01 PM
I heard there was a killer pop up show in town taboot as guys couldn't get out of town because of the snow.   :cool:  $10 a ticket and sold out in a heartbeat.   :thumbsup:

Yeah- It was Warren Haynes with David Grohl and a bunch of other musicians the next day. Talk about a once in a lifetime show!

ericm

Quote from: cshum372 on Dec 11, 2018, 04:14 PM
Quote from: ericm on Dec 11, 2018, 04:01 PM

Yeah- It was Warren Haynes with David Grohl and a bunch of other musicians the next day. Talk about a once in a lifetime show!

Yup, must've been great to see.

https://jambands.com/news/2018/12/10/warren-haynes-and-dave-grohl-play-surprise-asheville-pop-up-show/
"Where's Jim going?"

RobRoy286

I hate to be negative but...that just does not sound good. I know Jim is in this quick and dirty rock phase but it really just sounds flat. I guess it's unfair to compare any band to Jacket, but I'd way rather hear Jim play solo acoustic. That A New Life is...something.

jttouch2

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Dec 12, 2018, 08:38 AM
I hate to be negative but...that just does not sound good. I know Jim is in this quick and dirty rock phase but it really just sounds flat. I guess it's unfair to compare any band to Jacket, but I'd way rather hear Jim play solo acoustic. That A New Life is...something.

That other guitar player was pretty rough and I don't love that A New Life arrangement either. No Secrets still kicks major ass though.

RobRoy286

Quote from: jttouch2 on Dec 12, 2018, 10:03 AM

That other guitar player was pretty rough and I don't love that A New Life arrangement either. No Secrets still kicks major ass though.
Yeah...no idea what he's seeing in that guitarist.

Mr. White

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Dec 12, 2018, 10:13 AM

Jim's guitarist is Kevin Ratterman (formerly of Wax Fang - a Louisville band that's still around without him). He's been in Jim's solo band since the beginning (2013). He's a big friend of Jim's and owns and operates La La Land in Louisville where he produces and does engeneering for lots of local and national bands - including MMJ. He recently moved out to L.A. (probably to be near Jim and collaborate better with him) but still owns La La Land and has left trusted friends in charge of the place while he's away.

Also, Ratterman is in Twin Limb who have opened for MMJ and for Jim solo on several occasions.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

jttouch2

Quote from: Mr. White on Dec 12, 2018, 10:35 AM

Jim's guitarist is Kevin Ratterman (formerly of Wax Fang - a Louisville band that's still around without him). He's been in Jim's solo band since the beginning (2013). He's a big friend of Jim's and owns and operates La La Land in Louisville where he produces and does engeneering for lots of local and national bands - including MMJ. He recently moved out to L.A. (probably to be near Jim and collaborate better with him) but still owns La La Land and has left trusted friends in charge of the place while he's away.

Dang, didn't know that was Kevin. Obviously love all the engineering work he's done but some of those guitar tracks on this show are pretty subpar. Hope they can get it ironed out before the expected solo tour this spring.

Mr. White

Quote from: jttouch2 on Dec 12, 2018, 10:37 AM
Quote from: Mr. White on Dec 12, 2018, 10:35 AM
I hate to be negative but...that just does not sound good. I know Jim is in this quick and dirty rock phase but it really just sounds flat. I guess it’s unfair to compare any band to Jacket, but I’d way rather hear Jim play solo acoustic. That A New Life is...something.

Yeah...no idea what he’s seeing in that guitarist.

Dang, didn't know that was Kevin. Obviously love all the engineering work he's done but some of those guitar tracks on this show are pretty subpar. Hope they can get it ironed out before the expected solo tour this spring.

He's really a drummer. That's what he was in Wax Fang. When he toured with Jim for the Regions ... album, he didn't do a lot of soloing stuff or stuff that resembled what Carl does. Instead, he manned the computers/synthesizers/drum machine aspects and played some filler on guitar. He does need to work on not getting out of sync with what Jim's playing and just going with it. He can do a wonderful job, if he tries ... in my opinion.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

RobRoy286

Jim's solo bands are just not good. It's a bummer that Jim seems more interested in this mediocre stuff while the best live band to ever exist is just sitting on the sidelines, and will be for ANOTHER year. Obviously they're all humans, and MMJ won't get together just because I want them to. But mannn, these solo bands just sound bad.

crooney

imho, jim's solo bands are fantastic.  different than the jacket, but when you have ratterman, seth from floating action, and givan, that's a killer band.  different strokes for different folks i guess, but maybe listen a little closer.

RobRoy286

For the record, I love Uniform as a studio album. The live performances just sound flat, jagged, and awkward. If this was my first exposure to Jim, I don't think I'd be in a rush to hear more.

Okay, I'm done. I'll crawl back into my hole and wait for Red Rocks.

cshum372

you guy's aren't wrong. I thought the X-mas jam performance was pretty flat also.

MOWJO8185

Yeah, this didn't sound great, but I thought the Regions and Eternally Even bands were pretty solid. I listened to the Tabernacle show from the Eternally Even tour just a couple days ago and enjoyed it a good deal. I would expect, if there's a full band spring tour, they will work out some of the kinks and sound pretty good.

In any case, glad to have this recording just so the completist in me has some live documentation of Jim full band touring behind Uniform Distortion. Hope there are longer shows this spring!

jttouch2

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Dec 12, 2018, 04:40 PM
Yeah, this didn't sound great, but I thought the Regions and Eternally Even bands were pretty solid. I listened to the Tabernacle show from the Eternally Even tour just a couple days ago and enjoyed it a good deal. I would expect, if there's a full band spring tour, they will work out some of the kinks and sound pretty good.

In any case, glad to have this recording just so the completist in me has some live documentation of Jim full band touring behind Uniform Distortion. Hope there are longer shows this spring!
The touring band behind Eternally Even was PHENOMENAL, and the KCRW session of Uniform Distortion sounds a lot better than this so maybe it was just a rough day

cshum372

Quote from: jttouch2 on Dec 12, 2018, 05:32 PM
Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Dec 12, 2018, 04:40 PM

The touring band behind Eternally Even was PHENOMENAL, and the KCRW session of Uniform Distortion sounds a lot better than this so maybe it was just a rough day

It's the same exact band; I think the difference is the nature of the songs- these Uniform Distortion songs are just so raw ( garage band-y) whereas Eternally Even was these really produced, synth led tracks-( which I also preferred in the live setting.)

I have yet to hear a solid performance of this new material- in fact, I think I ended up preferring the stripped down acoustic takes in the live setting.