Tennessee Fire 20th Anniversary Celebration at the Cap

Started by parkervb, Jun 13, 2019, 08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eleaf14

can any of you CAP vets share some insights on hotels, travel, etc? im likely rolling solo for vip & may have to make it somewhat of a quick trip up. is it best to stay in city & take train up? if so easy to get back later in evening, etc? thanks in advance for any pro tips.

CountSA

Quote from: eleaf14 on Jun 13, 2019, 04:00 PMcan any of you CAP vets share some insights on hotels, travel, etc? im likely rolling solo for vip & may have to make it somewhat of a quick trip up. is it best to stay in city & take train up? if so easy to get back later in evening, etc? thanks in advance for any pro tips.

Never been myself but I just looked at the train schedule from Port Chester to Grand Central and trains leave at 10:11, 10:41, 11:12, and 12:11.  The show is supposed to start at 8:00 and would be over at 10:00-10:30 I would guess.  The train station appears to be literally next door to the theater so getting back into the city shouldn't be much of an issue.

jay.king

Yeah, didn't get tickets. Tried right at noon, then non-stop through 1:30pm, and on-and-off since. Working towards 4 GA as there's 4 of us going to FH. Strange little ticket site, it would show floor as an option, enter 4, no message, try again, floor not showing as an option, then it would pop up again.

Not stressing too much as it was going to be a 50/50 proposition anyway due to schedules and travel from DC and Vermont.

Zutroy

Quote from: CountSA on Jun 13, 2019, 04:16 PM
Quote from: eleaf14 on Jun 13, 2019, 04:00 PMcan any of you CAP vets share some insights on hotels, travel, etc? im likely rolling solo for vip & may have to make it somewhat of a quick trip up. is it best to stay in city & take train up? if so easy to get back later in evening, etc? thanks in advance for any pro tips.

Never been myself but I just looked at the train schedule from Port Chester to Grand Central and trains leave at 10:11, 10:41, 11:12, and 12:11.  The show is supposed to start at 8:00 and would be over at 10:00-10:30 I would guess.  The train station appears to be literally next door to the theater so getting back into the city shouldn't be much of an issue.

I've been many times. Awesome venue. Pete Shapiro runs a great great place.

The train to GC is the way to do it for sure. Runs regularly before and after the show and if you stay in the city it's super easy.

My favorite local place is Coals pizza which is walking distance. I hit it every time. So awesome. Get the duck bacon and Brussel sprouts.

chieftokenpuff6

Everyone whose code didn't work try again. I just did and scored.  Not only that I got VIP GA! I bought a stubhub earlier in a panic. Now I am relisting it for a profit.

walterfredo

Quote from: chieftokenpuff6 on Jun 13, 2019, 05:27 PMEveryone whose code didn't work try again. I just did and scored.  Not only that I got VIP GA! I bought a stubhub earlier in a panic. Now I am relisting it for a profit.

Or you can choose to not be part of the problem and relist for what you paid.

chieftokenpuff6

Profit was the wrong word to use there. Get my money back and their fee from both buying and reselling. Is what I meant.

I was just so happy at the time of posting I didn't think my words out. It was a stressful day.

I have never even considered Stubhub for tickets until I didn't get this one. Which was after I bought a ticket to the other show just to get in the presale to have it not work out.

If it doesn't resell I am going to offer it to a friend at a substantial loss anyway.

robb

Quote from: chk on Jun 14, 2019, 10:28 AMHey all- i was unable to login early enough yesterday and missed out. I'm looking for a GA pair.

I'm a taper and will be recording the show if I can get a ticket, so if anyone can help a brotha out...?  Thanks in advance.

someone help this person out!
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

Woody

The Cap is the best. Security getting in is a bit handsy and they are super strict about puffing even a vape inside so know that going in. Plenty of hotels within 10 min. I stayed at the Hilton Westchester last time I was there which worked out great. The Cap obviously has a storied history, especially with the Dead. Here's a great article which highlights that and the unique connection with the local fire station. The Mexican spot mentioned is a decent pre-show option as well. Can't make this one but will be at Forest Hills. Enjoy!

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/rye-brook-port-chester/2016/04/16/how-grateful-dead-became-part-port-chester/82793854/

dexter

Quote from: Woody on Jun 15, 2019, 07:06 AM

The Cap is the best. Security getting in is a bit handsy and they are super strict about puffing even a vape inside so know that going in. Plenty of hotels within 10 min. I stayed at the Hilton Westchester last time I was there which worked out great. The Cap obviously has a storied history, especially with the Dead. Here's a great article which highlights that and the unique connection with the local fire station. The Mexican spot mentioned is a decent pre-show option as well. Can't make this one but will be at Forest Hills. Enjoy!

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/rye-brook-port-chester/2016/04/16/how-grateful-dead-became-part-port-chester/82793854/

As mentioned the train is right there. Definitely the way to go up there from Manhattan. I usually stop here at the train station to get a beer or two and a pretzel for the ride: https://www.beertable.com. There's a ton of Mexican places near the venue, I haven't researched them to see which is "the best" but the 2 or 3 Ive been to were all solid.  Coals is indeed a good spot as mentioned, it's not pizza slices, rather a thin grilled pie. Saltaire is good if you're in the mood for seafood shack type stuff and good cocktails, a little on the higher end side but I e always enjoyed myself at the bar pre concert. Bar taco is also good, it gets pretty busy but they have outdoor space which is always a bonus.

I'm sure mmj is done before last train departs but a local cab will run between 80-100 back to Manhattan if I remember correctly, Uber probably a little more. The fun part about the cap is the bar downstairs stays open so it's not like a typical venue where you're shuffled out and you can't enjoy a wind down drink or two post show.

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

DirtyPancho

Quote from: parkervb on Jun 17, 2019, 12:03 PMdid they even have non VIP tickets today????

There is no way.  I was ready the second it hit 12pm EST and it said nothing available except $250 VIP.  This upselling for VIP and blood bath for tickets is getting really old.

parkervb

Quote from: DirtyPancho on Jun 17, 2019, 12:06 PM
Quote from: parkervb on Jun 17, 2019, 12:03 PMdid they even have non VIP tickets today????

There is no way.  I was ready the second it hit 12pm EST and it said nothing available except $250 VIP.  This upselling for VIP and blood bath for tickets is getting really old.

yea, I can't fault them for maximizing their income on the VIP but tying the presale to another show seemed like a new wrinkle that I am not sure how to feel about.

This was going to be a hard ticket no matter what - smaller venue with a one-off type performance
Don't you ever turn it off

DirtyPancho

Man, I don't need a copy of an album I already have preordered or a BBQ sandwich.  We just want tickets to the show, and it seems like the last year or two, so many tickets get held for these stupid upsale events.

I was at a work conference and wasn't able to use my code last week.  I guess we will be spending 2x on StubHub.

dexter

Ill also echo the sentiment above about security there when it comes to puffing/vaping etc. the security guys are militant in looking for smokers. They work in teams spying from the balcony on the floor, spotters, flashlights,  etc, it's quite annoying. The guy Shapiro that runs it tries to present this laid back music hippy persona but he has the place a semi police state.

MMJCOBRA

I rolled solo for final night of Phils Lesh's 79th B-day bash.  Flew in from Bham, AL.

I had never been to the Capitol before. Incredible venue and I'm sure you'll be surrounded by super nice super fans. Lots of cool little places to eat and drink. You can basically stay wherever you want downtown since the venue is a short block away from the station. For reference, it's about a 35-40 minute ride to Times Square by train.  We'll take good care of you Dex! :-)

WH7Gator

Desperately looking for 4 tickets to Port Chester.  Was there for all 3 nights in 2012 and am travelling from Dublin, Ireland to try and catch lightning in a bottle one more time.  I bought tickets on AXS for the Forest Hill show and then the code wasn't working on the presale so got shut out there and then again for general onsale.  Help would be much appreciated.

Also, first time back on the boards in a while.  Nice to be back : )

Cheers, William
As long as my heart's beating, that's all the proof you need....

Lonndown27

really wish the band didn't release tickets like this...really bums me out from the band itself to be honest, like come on ...give EVERYONE a chance to get a ticket. I get that EVERYONE won't be able to go, it isn't feasible numbers wise, I get that, but maaaan is it tailored to people who have more than enough money on hand at a moment's notice.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

sillyboob

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 30, 2019, 01:56 PMreally wish the band didn't release tickets like this...really bums me out from the band itself to be honest, like come on ...give EVERYONE a chance to get a ticket. I get that EVERYONE won't be able to go, it isn't feasible numbers wise, I get that, but maaaan is it tailored to people who have more than enough money on hand at a moment's notice.

You can't pin that on the band.  Life is tailored to people who have more than enough money on hand at a moment's notice.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Lonndown27

Quote from: sillyboob on Jul 01, 2019, 10:45 AM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 30, 2019, 01:56 PMreally wish the band didn't release tickets like this...really bums me out from the band itself to be honest, like come on ...give EVERYONE a chance to get a ticket. I get that EVERYONE won't be able to go, it isn't feasible numbers wise, I get that, but maaaan is it tailored to people who have more than enough money on hand at a moment's notice.

You can't pin that on the band.  Life is tailored to people who have more than enough money on hand at a moment's notice.

Exactly why our society needs to change. I fucked myself out of tickets though and I thank everyone for the offers, it just sucks cause NOW I have the money hahaha wish the money had been there when they were released. Just a bitter Jacket vet.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018