Tennessee Fire 20th Anniversary Celebration at the Cap

Started by parkervb, Jun 13, 2019, 08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkervb

Quote from: dexter on Aug 10, 2019, 11:05 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Aug 10, 2019, 10:17 AMListening to the show this morning and it's a great recording. The recordist thanked Ryan Pickett so I'm assuming he was right at soundboard.

What an amazing show, so many great moments but They Ran was perfection. Jim's voice and Bo's keys. Wow. War Begun was on another level. Twilight. Holy Metal Jacket. Rocket Man was THE perfect encore opener.

Reiterate what dexter said about the crowd too! Made it even more special

Glad to see ya robb, APR, and the other familiar forum faces. Say hi tonight

How do I get this recording please? It's never been my strong suit finding these things and figuring out how to play it

https://archive.org/details/mmj2019-08-09.mk41.flac16/mmj2019-08-09.mk41.flac16-10.flac
Don't you ever turn it off

tourist12

I'll echo the other fellas' sentiments: that was a special performance. I was at T5 and OBH and this was pretty easily the best I've seen them do TTF. Carl was the MVP of the night for me - dude had nothing to do with writing any of these songs but he was throwing lightning bolts all night long. For my money he's never been better.

Sadly my crowd experience was not the same. dexter - I wish I was wherever you were brother because the crowd around me near the back of the floor was TERRIBLE. Felt like I was surrounded by dozens of chatty Cathys all night long. I can't fathom why anyone would buy a ticket to THIS show and then spend the whole night flapping their yapper. That was a bummer. Regardless, the boys on the stage more than made up for it. Glad I was there.

dexter

Sorry to read tourist , that's a bummer. We were in the loge and was reasonably quiet up there. I don't get the full on drunk convos during something like this.  A few quiet words here or there with a neighbor is fine, but OBH itnwas like people weren't even at a concert.

Lonndown27

Quote from: dexter on Aug 10, 2019, 01:02 PMSorry to read tourist , that's a bummer. We were in the loge and was reasonably quiet up there. I don't get the full on drunk convos during something like this.  A few quiet words here or there with a neighbor is fine, but OBH itnwas like people weren't even at a concert.

this absolutely angers me. how the fuck could you talk over THIS album? absolutely worst album to talk over. The music is quiet and when it explodes you've earned it from the quiet moments and they play off each other with ultra-fantastic dynamics that were obvious even when that album came out but are only better NOW. AND YOU TALK OVER A 10 MINUTE TWILIGHT? GET OUT!!!
Sorry Tourist!

Also: what I love is how every time they put Twilight into their setlist now it says TWILIGHT SERIES. you know why? because they made a setlist for the first show I ever saw them do, 8/2/2012 called the TwilightConcert Series. Why the fuck else would it keep saying that, every year i've seen it in a setlist it says Twilight Series. Very bizarre but probably an auto correct issue but one they've kept leaving.

Love the ode to my first show.
Shit I need more. Devastated to miss these shows.
Whoever was talking at this show and was in the same room while they played Tonite I want 2 and Weeks go by Like Days needs to be crucified
LONG IS THE ROAD WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD HOW LONG DOES ONE MAN WAIT FOR WEEKS GO BY LIKE DAYS?
I guess it's 9 years (played it in 2001, then played it in 2010, played it again in 2019)
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lonndown27

(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

APR

Thanks parker for posting that audio.  It sounds excellent!

I loved that show so much.  Hearing some of those songs in that environment was special.  The crowd was great and full of die hards as tons of people were singing the lyrics to what many would consider obscure songs.

A big part of wanting to go in early was increasing the odds of being surrounded by non-talkers.  I didn't hear much chatter at all.  Except for a little and too loud conversation during By My Car...... and of course it was the guy who, an hour before the show started, asked everyone around to be quiet during the night.  I seconded his request and jokingly told him we were in a no-talking section.

Weeks Go By was a really awesome surprise.  Twilight was off the charts rocking metal.  And the jam at the end of The Dark was a nice bonus.  It can't get much better than War Begun and Picture of You back to back though.  Even though we've heard those before, I can hear those at every show and be content.  The Beat was brilliant.

I don't think I have ever seen Bo smile as much during a show.  Carl was on fire all night as usual.  Jim talking to the crowd was great too.  He said his grandmother died within the last year and dedicated what was her favor song, Evelyn Is Not Real, to her.  I always think of my grandmother (who died years ago) during that song, as her name was Evelyn.

Lonndown27

Quote from: APR on Aug 11, 2019, 01:02 PMThanks parker for posting that audio.  It sounds excellent!

I loved that show so much.  Hearing some of those songs in that environment was special.  The crowd was great and full of die hards as tons of people were singing the lyrics to what many would consider obscure songs.

A big part of wanting to go in early was increasing the odds of being surrounded by non-talkers.  I didn't hear much chatter at all.  Except for a little and too loud conversation during By My Car...... and of course it was the guy who, an hour before the show started, asked everyone around to be quiet during the night.  I seconded his request and jokingly told him we were in a no-talking section.

Weeks Go By was a really awesome surprise.  Twilight was off the charts rocking metal.  And the jam at the end of The Dark was a nice bonus.  It can't get much better than War Begun and Picture of You back to back though.  Even though we've heard those before, I can hear those at every show and be content.  The Beat was brilliant.

I don't think I have ever seen Bo smile as much during a show.  Carl was on fire all night as usual.  Jim talking to the crowd was great too.  He said his grandmother died within the last year and dedicated what was her favor song, Evelyn Is Not Real, to her.  I always think of my grandmother (who died years ago) during that song, as her name was Evelyn.

that was a special fucking dedication. Makes me think of every time they've played that song live. Lucky to have seen it my first show, along with a War Begun. But you fuckers at the Cap were so lucky. Weeks Go By Like Days...see ya every 9 years!

parkervb

yea, I was very happy that the crowd was super respectful to Jim sharing some of the backstory on Above the Cadillac Studios and how much his Mermer (?) meant to him and to what has become the band that we all love so much.

I got to share this really special show with some really great friends, 2 of whom live a combined 10k miles away from me that I have known since the 8th grade (we're 40). Loads of memories made.

parkervb

the intro music was the instrumental from the end of TTF

eleaf14

Just a quick line to tip the hat for a most special evening. A whirlwind 30 hour solo trip up from NC & I couldn't have had a better time if I tried to recreate that over again. Met many super friendly folks at the VIP celebration & in our section - a reminder that this fanbase is truly the best in the game. The CAP certainly runs a tight ship - but if the results are an experience like Friday thats totally worth the squeeze. The sound was as amazing as ive heard - the performance was tight as it could've been. Having had to bail on t5 & not having been to Mexico - this felt redemptive in a sense - at least hearing many of the fav's. Having been around for 15 plus - hearing 8 tunes for the first time was beyond a treat & nearly all I had heard before were likely best versions. Just a special special night. An all timer. See y'all down the road!

dexter

Patrick showed up at the FH bbq and I was still in the afterglow of that show and I thanked him and asked if it felt as special for tha band as those in attendance. He hesitated and said "it was tough, a lot of emotions." Sounded like good and bad and it makes you think. You know they're humans but onstage they're some other form.

parkervb

ok, after a few more listens...

the performance of If All Else Fails will be giving me goose bumps for years to come

crooney

Man, I looove the outro after 'Butch Cassidy.'  So special, the acoustic over the pedal steel.  Into a massive 'Hell'.  Will be one of my favorite Jacket live moments for a long time.

jttouch2

The jam on Old Sept. Blues is incredible. Jim's solos normally fall into pretty similar patterns overall but he really seemed to let loose on that one with some real gnarly stuff. + he seems to really love that flanger (I think? maybe its a phaser but they're pretty similar) pedal this run, I've never heard that be a part of his rig before but it was in there a lot this time around and was pretty cool in this jam.

Lonndown27

Quote from: jttouch2 on Aug 14, 2019, 01:56 AMThe jam on Old Sept. Blues is incredible. Jim's solos normally fall into pretty similar patterns overall but he really seemed to let loose on that one with some real gnarly stuff. + he seems to really love that flanger (I think? maybe its a phaser but they're pretty similar) pedal this run, I've never heard that be a part of his rig before but it was in there a lot this time around and was pretty cool in this jam.

Yes it IS a phaser!!! Ive heard it on many things this run too and mentioned that on the Facebook forum but nobody knew what I was talking about, he's definitely using one and you hear it clearly on Old September.

Man that was easily that song's greatest version but also one of the best moments of the night. You're absolutely right on Jim's soloing there going to another level. He just went for it and just like his crazy solo on "Melissa / Beautiful Ones", his riff on "Thank U Fa Lettin Me Be Mice Elf Agin", his vocals on "Older Guys" etc upon etc it's absolutely note for note perfection.

It's extremely interesting to hear Patrick say "yes and no". Could mean so many things. It could be Patrick riding or dying back there with violent diarrhea or the songs physically scared them or Jim was farting repeatedly with Patrick as the centrally-placed "benefactor"...all of these are leads