Main Menu

Strand Of Oaks

Started by BH, Apr 06, 2011, 01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slappymoe

Quote from: robb on Apr 10, 2019, 08:09 AM
Quote from: Hoptimus Prime on Apr 09, 2019, 02:06 PMWhats up with Tim's tweet?

"Trust me when the time comes I will let you know when a certain group of four other musicians will be joining me"

Sounds like it's when, not if.

i remember seeing tim say they had big plans behind touring for this album. i wouldn't be shocked if there was a fall leg added with the jacket guys.
3 weeks of shows coming, september 5th thru 26th.  i have my ticket for zanzabar in louisville.

anyone have intel, or just a wild ass guess, on whether the guys will be doing this leg? 

sillyboob

Quote from: slappymoe on Aug 21, 2019, 10:27 AM

"Trust me when the time comes I will let you know when a certain group of four other musicians will be joining me"

i remember seeing tim say they had big plans behind touring for this album. i wouldn't be shocked if there was a fall leg added with the jacket guys.
3 weeks of shows coming, september 5th thru 26th.  i have my ticket for zanzabar in louisville.

anyone have intel, or just a wild ass guess, on whether the guys will be doing this leg? 

I'm guessing no, seeing that Tim posted 4 days ago on Twitter that Patrick Berkery (ex War On Drugs, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah) will be joining Oaks on drums for the fall tour.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Mr. White

Quote from: sillyboob on Aug 21, 2019, 11:52 AM
Quote from: slappymoe on Aug 21, 2019, 10:27 AM

I'm guessing no, seeing that Tim posted 4 days ago on Twitter that Patrick Berkery (ex War On Drugs, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah) will be joining Oaks on drums for the fall tour.

I'd say it's a definite no on the members of MMJ backing him up at the Zanzabar show in Louisville on 9/11/2019 (I'm going), but I'd bet a couple of them show up to be in the audience (Patrick ALWAYS shows up at shows in Louisville). When I saw Carl and Tyler Ramsey at the final show of their most recent tour in Franklin, Tenn. (about 20 mins. south of Nashville) back on 7/27/2019, I made a point of it to ask Carl about the possibility of this happening. I got there super early and spoke to him as they were setting up the merchandise table (got both to sign my show poster). Carl said there were no plans for that ... at the time. Also, as people started filling up the 146 seat Mockingbird Theater, I spotted Tom just a few rows from the top as he and a friend sat down (I was on the top row next to the soundboard). I took the opportunity to thank him in person for the Get Well card he sent me with a cool hand-drawn cartoon when I was recovering from my terrible car wreck back in Nov./Dec. of 2017. I also asked about the possibility of them showing up to be part of the show (prefacing the discussion with the information Carl had given me earlier in the evening). Tom said no plans for that but also mentioned the possibility of it happening in the future (can't remember his exact wording though). Sorry for the bad news, but I did end my conversation with Tom with the comment/request that they should definitely play a show up in Louisville soon and very soon. Hopefully the Hometown Folk pressure gets to them. Good Luck to all us local (Kentucky and surrounding states) folks!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

slappymoe

i appreciate the replies.  at the time i bought my tickets it was definitely a FOMO kinda thing.  wasn't familiar with strand of oaks, but if 4/5 of MMJ were playing, i had to be there.

months later, it turns out eraserland is one of my favorite records in years.  can't wait to be there.

sillyboob

Quote from: slappymoe on Aug 21, 2019, 03:45 PMi appreciate the replies.  at the time i bought my tickets it was definitely a FOMO kinda thing.  wasn't familiar with strand of oaks, but if 4/5 of MMJ were playing, i had to be there.

months later, it turns out eraserland is one of my favorite records in years.  can't wait to be there.

It really is a great album.  The LA show was a really good show.  Only downside was it was a little short.  Would've loved to hear a couple more older songs.

Crispy

Quote from: sillyboob on Aug 21, 2019, 04:02 PM
Quote from: slappymoe on Aug 21, 2019, 03:45 PMi appreciate the replies.  at the time i bought my tickets it was definitely a FOMO kinda thing.  wasn't familiar with strand of oaks, but if 4/5 of MMJ were playing, i had to be there.

It really is a great album.  The LA show was a really good show.  Only downside was it was a little short.  Would've loved to hear a couple more older songs.

Strand of Oaks shows are always fantastic, and always too short. I've seen him a few times and it's never gone longer than about 90 minutes, start to finish. I've heard the same from everybody I know who's seen him too -- it's hard to make that complaint about such a great show, but I wish he'd draw it out a bit sometimes!  :wink:
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

sillyboob

Quote from: Crispy on Aug 21, 2019, 04:35 PM
Quote from: sillyboob on Aug 21, 2019, 04:02 PM

Strand of Oaks shows are always fantastic, and always too short. I've seen him a few times and it's never gone longer than about 90 minutes, start to finish. I've heard the same from everybody I know who's seen him too -- it's hard to make that complaint about such a great show, but I wish he'd draw it out a bit sometimes!  :wink:

That really was my only complaint about the show.  I wish I'd caught previous incarnations of the band, but I've made up by going to Youtube and checking out some of their older shows.  A great way to hear the songs from their earlier albums live!

Mr. White

I went to my first Strand Of Oaks show last night, September 11, 2019, at Zanzabar in Louisville, Kentucky. It was really special. I was on the front row/rail with lots of MMJ Family and even a few Forum members. I stepped back for the last song, so I could get a good audio/video recording. I think it turned out pretty good.

Strand Of Oaks
"Forever Chords"
Zanzabar
Louisville, Kentucky
Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Murph

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 12, 2019, 11:14 PMI went to my first Strand Of Oaks show last night, September 11, 2019, at Zanzabar in Louisville, Kentucky. It was really special. I was on the front row/rail with lots of MMJ Family and even a few Forum members. I stepped back for the last song, so I could get a good audio/video recording. I think it turned out pretty good.

Strand Of Oaks
"Forever Chords"
Zanzabar
Louisville, Kentucky
Wednesday, September 11, 2019

He was really hyping these "special guests" on social media.  I thought there was no chance that the MMJ guys didn't show up.  Did anyone?

Mr. White

Quote from: Murph on Sep 13, 2019, 08:56 AMHe was really hyping these "special guests" on social media.  I thought there was no chance that the MMJ guys didn't show up.  Did anyone?

Only Lacey Guthrie from Twin Limb actually performed. She sang on several songs that she sang on Eraserland. I was on the rail for most of the show so didn't see all who were there, but I did see and spoke with Aaron Hallahan (Patrick's brother) after the show. Craig Pfunder from VHS or Beta and a band member along with Patrick in Jake Shears' band was there too (Jake Shears is performing at Zanzabar tonight, so Patrick and Craig will probably be in the band tonight - wish I was going but have too much to do and another show up in Louisville tomorrow night - Drive-By Truckers). I'm sure there were plenty of people there who were hoping MMJ members would perform, but I knew they probably wouldn't be after having spoken with Carl and Tom at the Carl and Tyler Ramsey show in Franklin, Tenn. back on July 27th. They both told me there were no plans to be there or to perform. However, Tom said they might perform with him at a later date maybe next year.

Derek713

Just a heads up for anyone close to Austin. Tim is doing a November residency at the Continental Club. It will be every Wednesday. There will be no presales and tickets will be limited to 70 people. Wish I could make one of these shows.

Derek713

Quote from: Derek713 on Oct 29, 2019, 02:06 PMJust a heads up for anyone close to Austin. Tim is doing a November residency at the Continental Club. It will be every Wednesday. There will be no presales and tickets will be limited to 70 people. Wish I could make one of these shows.

Correction...... it will be every Saturday in November

subinai

was listening to the latest episode of the Joe Pug podcast and he interviewed Tim. He mentioned he was recording his new record in LA with Kevin Ratterman over the next few weeks. Pretty cool!

sillyboob

Quote from: subinai on Oct 02, 2020, 04:20 PMwas listening to the latest episode of the Joe Pug podcast and he interviewed Tim. He mentioned he was recording his new record in LA with Kevin Ratterman over the next few weeks. Pretty cool!

Good to hear!!  For something to listen to in the meantime, here are some Strand Of Oaks bootlegs https://livebootlegconcert.blogspot.com/search/label/Strand%20of%20Oaks

subinai

Bo was shown playing keys in the studio on Tim's IG so assuming he will be on the record?

TommyBurnz

Tim's new album is up on ITunes and the new single "Galacticana" is fantastic. Can't wait to hear the rest and I am looking forward to seeing him at Sea Hear Now this year!

Murph

I asked him on Instagram if any of the MMJ guys are on the new record.  He said Carl is playing guitar and Bo is playing keys on that first single!  It's a great song too..

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

rkwedge

Quote from: parkervb on Jul 14, 2021, 09:45 AMgiddy up

https://twitter.com/Strandofoaks/status/1415295023227232259
That's awesome, Carl's the best!  I bet Tim would say Carl saved his career by talking him into getting back at writing then the boys helping him with the music on Eraserland.
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

parkervb

really like this song. Feels like it would have fit right in on Eraserland as well. Looking fwd to hearing Carl and James Iha on the same track.
Don't you ever turn it off