The Black Crowes Appreciation Thread

Started by Shug, Nov 17, 2012, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefOKONO

Finished the book in a few days and it was amazing.  Sad to see how really dysfunctional the band was and all the opportunities that were lost.

Oh well... at least we have the memories still and live recordings and albums!

APR

There might be more than that soon.  I read on Jam Base that the Robinson brothers are going to get together again and reform the Crowes (minus some original members).

LBSUNFLWR

I finally found time to sit and start reading the book this morning. I'm loving it so far.

If a tour happens I will find a way to be there. I know it won't be the same and I'll try to appreciate it for what it is.

No matter what, I'll never be done with this band.

Jbpats

ChiefOKONO

Well, I am not planning to see this "reunion" tour, unless Steve Gorman, Marc Ford and Sven Pipien are there.  Otherwise, I don't think they really be that great.  Losing Eddie means to me the magic is lost.

LBSUNFLWR

I'm pretty happy about all the news that broke yesterday and I got tickets for Deer Creek this summer. I think these giant venues might be a little ambitious, but I hope it goes well.

I know it'll never be what it was and I'm very lucky I saw the old band as many times as I did. But all these years off has only made me want to see them more. I loved the CRB but that is over. I saw Magpie Salute, and although the band was excellent, their live show was really lacking in the singer department.

From what I've read about the first show last night, it sounds like the band they have are all quality musicians. I wish they weren't going to play the same set every night, but since that's what this tour is about, I'm only planning on going to one show.

parkervb

at least they aren't bs'ing anyone on their motivations for the reunion and the venues they've decided to play

"It was always there for us to put this band together and do it because there's money to be made and that motivates 99.9999% [of people]," Chris said in addressing how the brothers got back together. "I think Rich and I have made decisions separately and together that yes, I'm a capitalist, I'm not trying to be a marxist or anything that I'm not ... but everything has come full circle."

https://www.jambase.com/article/chris-rich-robinson-black-crowes-kcrw-video
Don't you ever turn it off

APR

I'm happy for Black Crowes fans that this is happening (even though none of the original band members are involved except the Robinsons). 

Out of curiosity, I checked availability and prices....... tons of seats available and prices are high.  It may have been wishful thinking as far as demand.  I heard the brothers on Howards Stern, and said they now get along and can make this reunion happen.  I didn't hear the entire interview, but at some point they may have mentioned that they are in the 99.999999 motivated by money.

If the Gallaghers buried the hatchet, that would be huge.  Oasis, especially in England, would be massive.

parkervb

Quote from: APR on Nov 15, 2019, 02:16 PMI'm happy for Black Crowes fans that this is happening (even though none of the original band members are involved except the Robinsons). 

Out of curiosity, I checked availability and prices....... tons of seats available and prices are high.  It may have been wishful thinking as far as demand.  I heard the brothers on Howards Stern, and said they now get along and can make this reunion happen.  I didn't hear the entire interview, but at some point they may have mentioned that they are in the 99.999999 motivated by money.

If the Gallaghers buried the hatchet, that would be huge.  Oasis, especially in England, would be massive.

yea, see my quote in a post earlier. Chris said its about the money. He tried to run some BS a couple weeks back about this is the "purest" Black Crowes because its back to basics, no jamming. They are hoping that brings back casual fans I guess but most fans that have stuck with them and follow the various offshoots probably like the jamming.

Gonna be gross when he tries to re-boot CRB without Neal...
Don't you ever turn it off

ChiefOKONO

Yep - if by "pure" he means the band as it was in 1990, then that's fine if Chris wants that.  We shall see how many fans of that there are out there.  I couldn't believe that they are trying to fill the Forum in LA - pretty huge venue!!

However to me and many other fans who have been into the band over the recent years, I think the jamming is part of what made them special.  Playing the songs just as they are on the album just isn't very interesting to me - IMO.

Jbpats

No jamming, is a big no thanks for me with this band. That is was brought me in and started to love them in the early 2000's.
Combine that with the exorbitant ticket prices they are charging for a Wednesday night concert at a venue that is way too big for them. Hate to be negative but i see this being a huge failure.

ChiefOKONO

I wonder if they will change any of their plans since everything has been pushed due to the pandemic?  Unless Marc Ford is playing with them I am not interested.

I did find this old clip from the classic lineup days, they were on fire back then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkfpW2lGHkM

ChiefOKONO

wheelhousetunes

Hey, Chief! Someone also just uploaded a bunch of demos - do you know if those are circulating individually? Are there any trading groups left or good message boards anymore?

Hope you're doing OK.

ChiefOKONO

I don't know... what are these demos? Do you have a list or where to get them?

I have no idea if there are any good groups left anymore.   Sadly, it seems like fb destroyed all of those.

Thanks, i'm ok - hope all is well with you.

ChiefOKONO

Another great one that just popped up from their heyday in 95 which I'd never seen before -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hg-suMoIk

wheelhousetunes

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Jan 21, 2021, 02:31 PMI don't know... what are these demos? Do you have a list or where to get them?

A user on YouTube has been steadily uploading them.

ChiefOKONO

Can you post the link?  I want to see if there are any I hadn't heard before....thanks!

ChiefOKONO

interesting.  I'll have to check them out - I've heard some demos before but not sure if these are "new" or not.