My Morning Jacket album reviews

Started by MMJCOBRA, Oct 18, 2021, 09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halesdd

Pitchfork My Morning Jacket Album Review

Another less than positive review.  I swear, it's like I am listening to another album than these people or maybe they forgot what good music sounds like.  I. Just. Don't. Get. It.
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

MOWJO8185

I get a lot of what Pitchfork is saying, particularly in regards to lyrics. Fortunately, the jammier elements they chose to highlight this album are right in my wheelhouse so I'm pretty obsessed with this one.

TommyBurnz

Pitchfork is the most pretentious music site out there. I don't hold a high opinion of what they consider a good album.

Nikkogino

Old guys with guitars: deduct 5 points

C.S.

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Oct 27, 2021, 10:57 AMI get a lot of what Pitchfork is saying, particularly in regards to lyrics.

Quote from: TommyBurnz on Oct 27, 2021, 11:29 AMPitchfork is the most pretentious music site out there. I don't hold a high opinion of what they consider a good album.

I get where they are coming from, but Tommy's point is the truth. Basically every Pitchfork review comes across as some neckbeard or "professional music critic" looking for any little reason to knock something.

TommyBurnz

Quote from: C.S. on Oct 27, 2021, 02:18 PM
Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Oct 27, 2021, 10:57 AMI get a lot of what Pitchfork is saying, particularly in regards to lyrics.

Quote from: TommyBurnz on Oct 27, 2021, 11:29 AMPitchfork is the most pretentious music site out there. I don't hold a high opinion of what they consider a good album.

I get where they are coming from, but Tommy's point is the truth. Basically every Pitchfork review comes across as some neckbeard or "professional music critic" looking for any little reason to knock something.
I get not being into the lyrics on this album. But Jim has always had some weird songs (Into the Woods, Librarian etc) I just don't get giving this a 5 and some other album that's blips and pterodactyl noises a 10 like it's some god gift to the ears. Pitchfork just tries to hard to like what no ones else likes.

ranyart

From the Pitchfork review:

"A band that self-titles its ninth album has committed to some serious introspection and My Morning Jacket all but admits they had been living a lie: For two grueling decades, they thrived in the jam-band ecosystem without being a band that actually jams."

Huh?  I beg to differ...

dookie shoot bandit

I fucking can't stand Pitchfork's reviews!!
It is a good site to get music updates and news
But their reviews are always SHIT
I had a bad feeling it was gonna be a low score, since it took 5 days for them to put the review up

SplatSplatSplat

Eh, as much as I loathe pitchfork, this review brings up some very valid criticisms.  Although, I think I'd give it 6 instead of a 5.
You need it.  That's for sure.

Hatfield

Quote from: ranyart on Oct 27, 2021, 03:56 PMFrom the Pitchfork review:

"A band that self-titles its ninth album has committed to some serious introspection and My Morning Jacket all but admits they had been living a lie: For two grueling decades, they thrived in the jam-band ecosystem without being a band that actually jams."

Huh?  I beg to differ...

Is Pitchfork just basically trolling at this point?

Nikkogino

Quote from: Hatfield on Nov 15, 2021, 02:59 PM

Huh?  I beg to differ...

It's more about looking cool while they review something than it is actually reviewing the quality.  Giving an older band like MMJ (snooze...dad rock) a good review would not be good for their street cred.

Hennings

Quote from: Nikkogino on Nov 15, 2021, 03:31 PM
Quote from: Hatfield on Nov 15, 2021, 02:59 PM

Huh?  I beg to differ...

It's more about looking cool while they review something than it is actually reviewing the quality.  Giving an older band like MMJ (snooze...dad rock) a good review would not be good for their street cred.

The guy who loves Emo wrote this review.

Come Closer

Pfork has been that way for a while and MMJ has been viewed that way for just as long, which is what makes the positive ratings of Circuital and The Waterfall kinda bizarre.

roffrs

Waterfall II had a pretty good review there too.

The fact that just a couple days after the new MMJ review they published a piece about a guy falling in love with Phish over the pandemic had my eyes a-rollin.
Good luck comes from trying.