maybe my favorite of theirs, but that's like picking a favorite child

and the song itself, "At Dawn".....

so simple, yet so powerful and moving

Angry Ewok

I love Hopefully
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Love Dogg

QuoteI love Hopefully

My favorite record of theirs and one of my all-time three favorites.  

I think Hopefull is definitely underrated.  I love it, too.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Mr. T.

Bermuda Highway got my into My Morning Jacket, so At Dawn will always have a special place in my heart. Also because it's a f***g incredibly brilliant album.

I think "I needed It Most" is underrated...

"To have and to hold you, that's the way it's got to be"
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

cmccubbin25

QuoteBermuda Highway got my into My Morning Jacket, so At Dawn will always have a special place in my heart. Also because it's a f***g incredibly brilliant album.

I think "I needed It Most" is underrated...

"To have and to hold you, that's the way it's got to be"

Easily some of Jim's best lyrical work is on that album...

"I cannot crumble, what you want this to be"

OR

"Aw if you don't know yourself, how could you ever know me."
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

Bigsky

I'm going to go start from the begining and play it all the way through...I'll be back with my thoughts...if I survive the incridible journey. :o

AllyDee

Honestly...

the entire 2nd half ot the record

from xmas curtain thru strangulation

it's musical perfection

Bigsky

The entire album is so smooth and flows as one. The way it starts with the building up of At Dawn and ends with Stragulation...it feels like the life story of someone. I also think if you listen to Strangulation and then Dondante...so moving.

Goat Boy

Yeah but Honest Man is shit isn't it?  The rest is wonderful.  Phone Went West especially.  

LEATHER KID

Honest Man is one of my favs but I do agree it doesn't exactly flow with the rest of the album . This is one of the reasons that they're my favorite band.  Phone Went West, Cobra, Rollin' Back, Wordless Chorus.  All very different, all very good.
QuoteYeah but Honest Man is shit isn't it?  The rest is wonderful.  Phone Went West especially.  
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

Bigsky

QuoteYeah but Honest Man is shit isn't it?  The rest is wonderful.  Phone Went West especially.  

You mean Honest Man is the shit? For a second I thought you were saying it sucks...

Goat Boy

You mean Honest Man is the shit? For a second I thought you were saying it sucks...

It sucks.  It stands out like a hideous boil on a perfect ass.  Plus it goes on for 7 minutes!

Love Dogg

QuoteYou mean Honest Man is the shit? For a second I thought you were saying it sucks...

I agree with you.  Honest man not only is awesome, but it is awesome, too.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

peanut butter puddin surprise

It sucks.  It stands out like a hideous boil on a perfect ass.  Plus it goes on for 7 minutes!

WHAT?!?  Blasphemy!  Honest Man rawks, it IS the shit!

Come on now, did you expect lil Jimmy not to rock a bit on AD?  This thread reminds me of the greyhairs at the first really big Headliner's show back in the day-they put CHAIRS, chairs I tells ya, in the front of the stage to listen to the sweet acoustic numbers, but then the beast was released and they were were ROCKED LIKE A HURRICANE to the demonlike "Honest Man", roaring like King Kong on LSD, and the yunginns all rushed the stage, bangin' heads and whatnot.... ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Bigsky

WHAT?!?  Blasphemy!  Honest Man rawks, it IS the shit!

Come on now, did you expect lil Jimmy not to rock a bit on AD?  This thread reminds me of the greyhairs at the first really big Headliner's show back in the day-they put CHAIRS, chairs I tells ya, in the front of the stage to listen to the sweet acoustic numbers, but then the beast was released and they were were ROCKED LIKE A HURRICANE to the demonlike "Honest Man", roaring like King Kong on LSD, and the yunginns all rushed the stage, bangin' heads and whatnot.... ;)

After Bermuda Highway, and I'm all sleepy and comfortable, Honest Man wakes me up "kicking and screaming." I love this thrust-in-your-face-rock!

Goat Boy

Honest Man does not rock.  At all.  Unless your definition of rock is a tuneless dirge that overstays its welcome by about 5 minutes.  Perhaps a two minute blast would work but not all seven minutes.  And coming after the lovely Xmas Curtain (one of my fave MMJ songs) it drags the album down when it's absolutely flying.  It just doesn't belong there.

Angry Ewok

I like Honest Man.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

courtlandfoster

I like "Honest Man", too.
But I think it should have been replaced with the AD demo version of "Chills"

Bigsky

QuoteHonest Man does not rock.  At all.  Unless your definition of rock is a tuneless dirge that overstays its welcome by about 5 minutes.  Perhaps a two minute blast would work but not all seven minutes.  And coming after the lovely Xmas Curtain (one of my fave MMJ songs) it drags the album down when it's absolutely flying.  It just doesn't belong there.

Do you like it out side of At Dawn?

Goat Boy

QuoteHonest Man does not rock.  At all.  Unless your definition of rock is a tuneless dirge that overstays its welcome by about 5 minutes.  Perhaps a two minute blast would work but not all seven minutes.  And coming after the lovely Xmas Curtain (one of my fave MMJ songs) it drags the album down when it's absolutely flying.  It just doesn't belong there.

Do you like it out side of At Dawn?

No but it sounds worse in that context.