The Amish Appreciation Thread

Started by ratsprayer, Sep 25, 2005, 06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratsprayer

ok, theres this huge amish community spread out in the hills just about 30 miles south of where i live.  we went to their general store the other day (which is fucking massive), and got some fresh baked bread, among other things.  i just wanted to say this banana nut bread is one of the best things ive ever had.   ;D

anyone else share some love for the amish and their delicious cooking?  am i the only one obsessed who likes to follow their buggies and wants to talk to them to ask them all sorts of questions?   ;)

peanut butter puddin surprise

Quoteok, theres this huge amish community spread out in the hills just about 30 miles south of where i live.  we went to their general store the other day (which is fucking massive), and got some fresh baked bread, among other things.  i just wanted to say this banana nut bread is one of the best things ive ever had.   ;D

anyone else share some love for the amish and their delicious cooking?  am i the only one obsessed who likes to follow their buggies and wants to talk to them to ask them all sorts of questions?   ;)

The Amish are awesome.  I lived in PA most of my life before moving here in '89, so I got to experience the "amish effect" firsthand...do they still have "Green Dragons" in your area?  

Most Amish won't talk to you, but some will.  The ones who will aren't at all annoyed with questions, per se.  I'm a fan of their craftwork, for sure...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

ratsprayer

The Amish are awesome.  I lived in PA most of my life before moving here in '89, so I got to experience the "amish effect" firsthand...do they still have "Green Dragons" in your area?  

Most Amish won't talk to you, but some will.  The ones who will aren't at all annoyed with questions, per se.  I'm a fan of their craftwork, for sure...

i dont know wot green dragons are, so im not sure.  the ones in southern ohio arent the ridiculously strict ones, so theyll chat to you like any normal person, probably moreso.  hell the general store & bakery we went to survives on business from "outsiders" mostly, even though it is where all the amish families go to buy their food.  i think the pennsylvania dutch back there in PA are the classic true to form, only black and white clothes, etc.  actually i was just reading theyre the descendants of the original 200 swish inhabitants, so they have a limited gene pool.  PA usually gets credit for it, but Holmes County northeast of Columbus, OH has the highest concentration in the world.  gooooo amish fatty delicious foods!!   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

EC

I like Amish stores.  Jen and I found the greatest grocery/organic/Amish store on our travels, and I'm trying to remember now where that was...  It wasn't in Iowa.  It was a camping place...  Is it possible it was near Mammoth Cave?  Kentuckyiers, do you recall a massively huge Amish store with thousands of square feet of produce?

tomEisenbraun

my friends drive-by-mooned a buggy once in wisconsin...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Golden_Shores

holy cow... ratsprayer, where are you from?  We have a slew of Amish and Menonites here in NWPA.  As a matter of fact, when my sexual partner and I walk "The Dam" (it's called Woodcock, but I figured you wouldn't believe me because I'm a nOOb) there's a Menonite girl that rollerblades across the dam.  She has all of her Menonite gear on too.  It's great!  I might even have a picture still...  

shit.  I deleted it :(
Sometimes I wear pants.

ben grimm

You have to video that. Sounds awesome.

Alligator Gar

When I was in Michigan in October I saw lots of Amish youth riding bicycles to teh shores of Lake Michigan in their traditioanl garb. When at teh shore they stood in awe of teh massive waves crashing upon a lighthouse.

HorkoLad

[img][url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/JeffoC6/cracknow.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/JeffoC6/cracknow.jpg[/url][/img]

corey

Me and one of my buddies that doesn't live here in town anymore have a musical project that we call "The Amish Kickboxers". Pretty much everything that we record together is under that name. :)

ratsprayer

Quoteholy cow... ratsprayer, where are you from?  We have a slew of Amish and Menonites here in NWPA.  As a matter of fact, when my sexual partner and I walk "The Dam" (it's called Woodcock, but I figured you wouldn't believe me because I'm a nOOb) there's a Menonite girl that rollerblades across the dam.  She has all of her Menonite gear on too.  It's great!  I might even have a picture still...  

im in southern ohio.

Golden_Shores

QuoteYou have to video that. Sounds awesome.

I don't mean to poke fun, but it's hard not to.  She wears sunglasses too, which makes it all the more chucklable.
Sometimes I wear pants.

Half

amish people are rude and smell like a yard, but they can bake a pie and raise a barn like its nobody's business
but i done went and plum forgot it

Spider_Beard

i sometimes sport an amish beard just to throw people off

Golden_Shores

Sometimes I wear pants.

ali

are amish allowed to have rollerblades???? i thought they were totally against all sorts of modern stuff...
love a song for the way it makes you feel

Golden_Shores

Quoteholy cow... ratsprayer, where are you from?  We have a slew of Amish and Menonites here in NWPA.  As a matter of fact, when my sexual partner and I walk "The Dam" (it's called Woodcock, but I figured you wouldn't believe me because I'm a nOOb) there's a Menonite girl that rollerblades across the dam.  She has all of her Menonite gear on too.  It's great!  I might even have a picture still...  

This was the original post... she's a menonite I believe.
Sometimes I wear pants.