tornadic activities

Started by wellfleet, Mar 30, 2006, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wellfleet

my first spring living in tornado alley and i'm freakin' terrified. what's the deal with wind blowing people's houses away? what's up with that?! don't we have enough problems? i sit here and watch local weather dudes dissect Doppler images and there are all these colours and warnings and time estimates and tail rotations and the lightning and thunder... WTF?
and my apartment, it ain't got no doors... our 4 outside walls are all giant windows. awesome-looking, but not very safety-oriented.
anybody here also scared of becoming Dorothy?
everything sucks. really.

ali

scary!! i'm glad we don't get them here... cyclones yes, but no tornadoes... when you move to the area (tornado-prone area ) does anyone tell you "this is what you should do if..."? maybe they need to put together a little "welcome to tornado country" advisory kit!

slightly off-topic, but if anyone's into F1 grand prix racing, i can hear the cars now! (from inside my office)
love a song for the way it makes you feel

ycartrob

I've always wanted to see a tornado.

This fall I begin taking on-line meteorology classes from Mississippi State.

wellfleet:

-Go at once to a windowless, interior room; storm cellar; basement; or lowest level of the building.
-If there is no basement, go to an inner hallway or a smaller inner room without windows, such as a bathroom or closet.
-Get away from the windows.
-Go to the center of the room. Stay away from corners because they tend to attract debris.
-Get under a piece of sturdy furniture such as a workbench or heavy table or desk and hold on to it.
-Use arms to protect head and neck.

Tree

QuoteI've always wanted to see a tornado.

yeah me too! i´ve only seen a 10 meter dust devil that lastet for 20 seconds... :-X

last week there was a tornado in Hamburg (north of germany). two men were killed. i think both died while working on a crane!!!!   :-/ in the stormweather-forum people say that it was a F2/F3...

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteI've always wanted to see a tornado

Trust me on this one;  no you don't.  Unless you're inclined to become a storm chaser, they are probably the most terrifying thing (other than a flash flood at night) weather-wise one can experience this far inland...the sound is the scariest thing, sounds like a 1000 trains inside the same tunnel-plus, it's always a mystery as to it's path-it could be right on you, or miles away, or totally gone, but you don't know, it's just that unpredictable.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there