Coachella DVD

Started by true, May 15, 2006, 01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Anyone else have it? I really liked it. A little dissapointed theres no MMJ but I guess this was there first year playing this festival? I Didn't like every band on it but I guess they wanted to show the diversity. I don't understand why everyone here likes Belle & Sebastien so much. I guess I like my music slightly more rockin.
Favorite moments: Radiohead, Wayne in the bubble, the giant robots spittin fire and flingin around shopping carts.
In the dvd the singer of Queens of the Stone Age said Iggy Pop and the Stooges was the greatest rock band of all time or something along those lines. I don't even think they're the greatest punk band (if you consider them punk) of all time let alone in all of rock n roll. I know theres some Iggy Pop fans here what do you guys think about that statement?
Overall its a cool dvd and I wish to experience Coachella by being there someday.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jaimoe

Quote.
In the dvd the singer of Queens of the Stone Age said Iggy Pop and the Stooges was the greatest rock band of all time or something along those lines. I don't even think they're the greatest punk band (if you consider them punk) of all time let alone in all of rock n roll.  

Look at who made the statement: Josh Homme. It makes sense that he'd think that, given QOTSA raunchy brand of rock. Jack White is probably of the same opinion regarding Iggy & company's legacy. The Stooges aren't a punk band, but are the best rock band ever to come out of Detroit. Their influence has always surpassed their commercial popularity, making them even more powerful and timeless. And this is coming from an MC5 worshipper!

peanut butter puddin surprise

this coming from a guy who is keeping questionable company these days...

what's next?  a remix of "Sleeping Bag"??  ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dragonboy

Josh Homme is a dude, so what if he hangs out with Santa's skinny brother?  :-/
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jaimoe

Josh is ok in my books. Kyuss was a good band and QOTSA play real balls out rock. And his other band, Eagles Of Death Metal, are one of the more intriguing throwback blues rock bands around. Billy Gibbons is still petty cool, even if ZZ Top's output post 1980 is/was not.

peanut butter puddin surprise

awwwwwwwww c'mon fellas, I'm just joshin'.  

I bet Josh and ol Billy had a lot in common...somehow.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dragonboy

QuoteJosh is ok in my books. Kyuss was a good band and QOTSA play real balls out rock.
Seeing Kyuss live was simply out of this world. I was lucky enough to see them 3 times in London back in the early 90's. Mind-blowing stuff...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Chills

Quote.
In the dvd the singer of Queens of the Stone Age said Iggy Pop and the Stooges was the greatest rock band of all time or something along those lines. I don't even think they're the greatest punk band (if you consider them punk) of all time let alone in all of rock n roll. I know theres some Iggy Pop fans here what do you guys think about that statement?

The Stooges fucking rule. They define punk rock for me.
Just put on Fun House. What a freakin' violent piece of music. Yeah, gotta agree with Josh there. At least the best punk band ever.

By the way, Dragonboy, who's the strange dude in yr new picture??

dragonboy

Captain Spaulding from House Of 1,000 Corpses:

Best horror movie I've seen in ages!!!

Chills

Haha, that looks great! The hat really finishes it off.

Jaimoe

The Stooges fucking rule. They define punk rock for me.
Just put on Fun House. What a freakin' violent piece of music. Yeah, gotta agree with Josh there. At least the best punk band ever.

By the way, Dragonboy, who's the strange dude in yr new picture??

I doubt The Stooges consider themselves punk rock. Iggy didn't write politically charged lyrics and the band certainly pre-dated punk by at least five years - with The Ramones being credited as the first punk band - although even Joey and company played songs that were rooted in 50's rock & roll. If anything, The Stooges kick-started or laid the groundwork for the punk movement, with their angry, aggressive music and unpredictable live shows. That being said, The Stooges are more in league with The New York Dolls.

The greatest real punk band ever is Blink 182.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................I mean The Clash!

ManNamedTruth

The greatest real punk band ever is Blink 182.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................I mean The Clash!

I would go with The Clash or The Ramones
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!