Third grade...

Started by eiseyrokker, Aug 14, 2006, 10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

So whethrewthecake begins her career as one of humanities most important societal roles tomorrow: she'll be starting her first day ever as a teacher of the third grade, and i figured, we should have a thread so everyone can tell her to rock the hell outta third grade.

Was that all one sentence?

So yeah, Anna, rock the hell out of third grade. Seriously, and if anything goes wrong, there's another thread around here where Tracy will be quick to remind you that you still have us. Which you most certainly do.

Toodles,
Tom
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

MMJ_fanatic

watch out for those third graders--they get older and older every year...!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

dragonboy

How old are third grade students? I always get confused with the American system.
I teach students from 3 years to 10 years.
Man, I've got some 10year olds who are getting too big-for-their-boots  :-/

[size=10]GOOD LUCK WHOTHREWTHECAKE!!![/size]
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ali

good luck, hope you have a great first day!!!

and yes, you do have us!

must be a lot of school-related stuff happening at the moment - i'm designing art rooms for years 7 - 12 at a girls school today
love a song for the way it makes you feel

Jaimoe

As we'd say in Canada: Good luck with those GradeThree's.

ycartrob

-My 3rd grade teacher was Mrs. Prine.
-Pretty sure that was the year I read Otis Spofford and Henry  & Ribsy.
-That was the year I gave a book report on Knute Rockne and I did it as Howard Cosell.
- That was definently the year I changed the calendar every day for 1 solid week.  You see, we had this wooden calendar, about the size of an 8 track cassette, and you would flip one knob to change the date and another knob to change the day of the week. I had successfully changed the first 4 days of the week and no one yet had been able to string 5 days in a row (you get to change it when you get to class in the morning, if you're the first one there and/or you gave a shit). My nemesis, Bobby Neal, had come close to changing it every day for the previous week, but he was absent on Friday. So, it was a Friday, and we were saying the pledge of allegiance, and I knew once it was over I was going to go change the calendar (I was late that day so did not have a chance to change it, and no one had noticed). Just as we were getting to the part where we say, "and to the republic..." Bobby Neal turned around and looked at me, then looked at the calendar, then back at me and smiled (he was 2 rows closer and 1 seat further up to the calendar). I knew he was going to change it and he could easily beat me to it after the pledge. I was considering breaking the sanctity of the pledge, risking going to hell and everything, and walking up and changing the calendar during the pledge, when out of no where, Bert Blasingame blasted a vomit stream at a 90 degree angle, startling everyone to stop (right around, "indivisible, with liberty...) and gasp, (and scatter, and scream, and laugh) however, I remained focused and side stepped the somewhat eggy, yellowy, vomit and reached up and changed the calendar, proclaiming VICTORY! though no one cared.

tomEisenbraun

You are in my top three favorite story-tellers now. This and Wendy's has just about confirmed that fact as truth.

BH

Wow, Tracy.  Honestly, that actually gave me flashbacks.

Congrats whothrewthecake.  I am positive you will be a great teacher.  My wife did 2nd grade and Kindergarten for 8 years and she loved it. (Well, everything but the parents.)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

fitzcarraldo

Good Luck WTTC!!!   :) D, Third graders=8 year olds.

rob

OMG Tracy....I'm SO laughing out loud.....that belongs in a film! Bert Blasingame.......beyond hilarious.  :D
Amazing story!  :D ;D :D ;D
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

EC

good luck lady whothrewthecake!!  i can't imagine a better person to teach grade three (<--for jaimoe's benefit).

yay!  

but you don't get the kids for a couple of weeks, right?  no kid has to start school tomorrow, right?  it's only halfway through august...

tomEisenbraun

haha, you don't live in Texas, Meg.

EC

Quotehaha, you don't live in Texas, Meg.

come.
on.
do texas kids have to start school in mid-august?

tomEisenbraun

my little sister started on friday. like, four days ago. that's how Georgia goes. College starts a week from Wednesday.

EC

Quotemy little sister started on friday. like, four days ago. that's how Georgia goes. College starts a week from Wednesday.

that is the most terrible thing i have ever heard.
do they at least get out in may?  because, you know, kids need breaks.

tomEisenbraun

yeah, like second week of may or so.

EC

Quoteyeah, like second week of may or so.

all right.  texas is okay, then.

Elizanne33

Third grade is exciting stuff!!!

Congratulations whothrewthecake. I hope your first day rocks. I start my first day as a third grade teacher next week.

aMD

somehow i missed this thread the first time around.  I also have my first day as a third grade teacher today so I know what you're going through, whothrewthecake.  I'm super nervous but I know everything's going to be fine.  The school bell rings in about two hours.  Everythings going to be okay, everything's going to be okay.  they're only 9, they're only 9.  Okay, off to school!

dragonboy

Haha, good luck to Elizanne33 & aMD too  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.