The Chappelle Show

Started by dragonboy, Dec 20, 2005, 03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

Any fans?
I have series 1 & 2 on DVDs & love them both!
I had been thinking about starting a thread & then read this:

http://www.chappelletheory.com/

If you're a fan you'll know all about the 3rd series being cancelled & Dave Chappelle checking himself into a clinic in Africa.
The theory claims that is was Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, Bill Cosby, Whoopi Goldberg & Oprah Winfrey that drove him mad & forced him to cancel the show by threatening to hurt his family etc?
Aparently they were all very angry with the Dave's portrayal of black people & the black community in the show.

Does anybody know if this is true? Pretty scary if it is.

:o :-/

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

aMillionDreams

I don' t think I buy this conspiracy, although it was entertaining entertaining this theory.  Like any good conspiracy theory, it could be true but probably isn't.  Although I do believe that Oprah is secretly evil.  But I would not put Bill Cosby in that group, especially since he's pissed off the black community perhaps even more Dave Chappelle by seriously suggesting that blacks need to take responsibility for their own situation.  In this country I think that that concept is more controversial than a comic skit about a black KKK member.  
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ratsprayer

it is a wacko theory, about 3 weeks after the show was cancelled, dave was walking around in yellow springs, ohio, where he lived for a while (and some of his family still does), and i met him on the bike path.  he was healthy, very fit (somewhat surprising for some reason?), and way too "with it" to have just been in a mental institution.  

wellfleet

Dave Chappelle does what Carlos Mencia and Ali G do so well. By making really crude racial jokes, they point to the latent racism that lies in all of us. The expose the prejudice, the discomfort, the hate, the mistrust and how it's all a lot more in the open that we like to imagine.
Ali G's Borat character sings "throw the Jew down the well" in an Oklahoma bar and the patrons all sing along with glee. Of course these comics are shocking, but racism is pretty awful, too.
By forcing us to confront those stereotypes, we're obliged to examine them more deeply and ask some questions. I don't know about y'all, but when I saw "Crash" (not the Cronenberg one, the Haggis one) it made me really uncomfortable because I left thinking, ohmygod, do *I* think this way? Do *I* act this way? I understand about the black community being angry about being portrayed in certain ways, but it does force the non-black community to think about why they're laughing.
everything sucks. really.

fitzcarraldo

tomEisenbraun

wow, this is wayyyy too blown out of proprtion to be anywhere near true. it is very entertaining, but Oprah Winfrey sneaking into his house whispering death threats in his ear? C'mon.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

dragonboy

QuoteCHARLIE MURPHY!!!!!!  ;D

I'm Rick James Bitch!!!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

QuoteI don't know about y'all, but when I saw "Crash" (not the Cronenberg one, the Haggis one) it made me really uncomfortable because I left thinking, ohmygod, do *I* think this way? Do *I* act this way? I understand about the black community being angry about being portrayed in certain ways, but it does force the non-black community to think about why they're laughing.

I was lucky to live in a very multicultural area of the UK. Lots of my school friends were of African/Asian origin etc & my parents were very anti-racism.
When I came to Japan I began to experience racism first hand. This ranged from people openly pointing & talking about me in the street & on the trains etc (something I've gotten used to now) to not being allowed in certain public baths & bars where signs are openly displayed stating "Japanese only"
Life can be pretty strange here sometimes...

wellfleet

well, i grew up in israel and in montreal. i'd never even met an asian person until we moved to canada. but montreal is so mixed that on any given day when i sat on the metro you can see 20 people from 20 backgrounds. i loved it. living in arkansas, all i see is white with some hispanic/black people. i miss the multi-culti vibe. i miss good falafel, good sushi...
everything sucks. really.

Enrump

He's not mad. He's a human being. And human beings aren't mad, just different.
Besides - he does a too-well portrait of Li'l John to be crazy.

dragonboy

Besides - he does a too-well portrait of Li'l John to be crazy.

WHAAATTT??!!

Enrump

hahahahahahaha
I love it when he inpregniates Oprah Winfrey

dragonboy

Yer that's a good one!
There really are too many good one's to mention but I still think Charlie Murphy's Hollywood Stories featuring Rick James is my fav!  ;D

dragonboy

ratsprayer

Samuel Jackson beer! LOL!!!  ;D

it'll get ya drunk, bitch!

Enrump

"That was the time when the Murphy brothers were the blackest n-words on the planet, 'cause Wesley Snipes wasn't famous yet"

I love that!

dragonboy

Just read that Chappelle's Season2 DVD was the biggest selling TV DVD of 2005 by a long way!

5. Friends 9.x (790,000 units)
4. The Simpsons 6.x (830,000 units)
3. Seinfeld 4.x (860,000 units)
2. Lost 1.x (1,040,000 units)
1. Chappelle's Show 2.x Uncensored (2,840,000 units)

Enrump

dragonboy

dragonboy

Trailer for Dave's Block Party movie directed by Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine...) feat. Common, Kayne, Mos Def, The Roots etc.

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=11474