Quitting Smoking

Started by EC, Oct 03, 2006, 08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

It's been 8 days now.
I didn't sleep for the first 6.  I mean at all.
I felt very sad the first couple of days.
My body kept having this weird muscle spasms.
Couldn't focus.

It's kind of weird.  On the one hand, I didn't notice it too much.  It's like I never smoked.  I'm always amazed at how quickly we adjust.  On the other, there are times when it feels really weird, and I go into my bag to grab a cigarette, and I remember that I'm not smoking.

My body's got preeeeeeetty puffy. ;)  That sucks rocks.  

My mouth definitely feels better in the morning.  It also feels better not to be coughing so much.  I enjoy waking up and not wheezing.  I am DEFINITELY noticing the fact that I seem to have more money.  Like, $20 in my wallet used to last maybe 2 days.  And not so anymore.

Anybody else?

marktwain

primushead

I haven't bought a pack in about 9 months.  I bum one every now and then when I'm drunk, but for the most part I've kicked it.

Keep it up EC!

Mr. T.

We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

MMJ_fanatic

You go lady!  (I hate "you go girl") ;) 8)--you can do it & you'll feel so much better!  Pulllin' for ya!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

BH

Hang  in there!  My 5 year anniversery is coming up since I quit.  Best thing I ever did for myself.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Easy Morning Rebel

That's good. Keep on going that way. You'e going to make it.. Good luck! ;)
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

Jellyfish

Hang in there...I gave up cigs and alcohol 12 years ago....and I quit huffing the bud in July....I am truly drug free now...ceptin for coffee,which I refuse to give up....you gotta have somefin. ;)
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

EC

thanks for the encouragement lovely folks. :)  

FarmerYoda

unfortunately, i have nothing to contribute to this topic as I've yet to cave in to smoking ciggarettes...
However, I know my brother is a heavy heavy smoker and he wears my clothing a lot (not so weird... i mean, yeah...a little) and it always smells of Camel Lights (which I love the smell of -- but will never give into inhaling!) and he's tried to quit many a time and has yet to.  Plus, he's only seventeen. So it must take a lot of will power. So congradulations! I suppose it'll be worth it in the long run...

heh. Oh, me. I'm so naive.  ;)

BH

QuoteHang in there...I gave up cigs and alcohol 12 years ago....and I quit huffing the bud in July....I am truly drug free now...ceptin for coffee,which I refuse to give up....you gotta have somefin. ;)

I believe not smoking the bud is a bad habit. :)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

sweatboard

Tom is drug free AND he quit listening to My Morning Jacket.................are we are going to be seeing a whole lot more pictures of his beard. *crosses fingers*

Anyway Congratulations Meg.  I really want to quit soon.  
There's Still Time.........

SMc55

Well done EC. It must be hard going but keep it up  :)

aMD

I gave up smoking tobacco 18 months and the other stuff 2 months ago (though I can't help it on occasion).  Still haven't given up the alcohol, you're an inspiration, Jellyfish.

EC, I know we're enemies and stuff, but good luck.

dragonboy

Way to go EC! Keep it up, it must be hard.
I'm trying to ease up on my food & drink (alcohol) right now (I think the term used is dieting?) but I'm failing miserably  :-[
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ycartrob

Hey Meg, I thought about you last night. I saw Robin Trower at the Mercy Lounge and I was probably one of the youngest people there! (and it was packed). It was pretty surreal, guys in their mid 50's air guitaring and yelling to the Hendrix and Zeppelin playing over the PA the 45 minutes before Trower came on...

I quit smoking on Aug. 20th of 1990. I was up to 1 1/2 packs a day. It will get easier, but I cannot lie, it was the hardest thing I ever quit (drinking, weed, Ms Pac-Man). It is real, real hard, but it is so rewarding once you get over the hump.

You can do it. Not smoking won't kill you, smoking will.

ManNamedTruth

I smoke but not cigarettes. Does anyone else on the board do the same?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

tomEisenbraun

if by "not cigarettes" you mean a good pipe, then I just finished a nice bowl full of Wessex Brown Virginia Flake. It's lovely.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Chills

Anybody else?

No, but I've seen a lot of friends fail.
Mostly , they started again while

a) drunk
b) watching a movie wherein cool people (take the young Mickey Rourke for example) smoke

So, try to avoid these situations as much as you can  :)

Good luck!

BH

No, but I've seen a lot of friends fail.
Mostly , they started again while

a) drunk
b) watching a movie wherein cool people (take the young Mickey Rourke for example) smoke

So, try to avoid these situations as much as you can  :)

Good luck!

That's funny you sat that.  Drinking was bad but after 5 years even that doesn't bother me anymore.  But every now and then, seeing someone on TV/movie that just really seems to be enjoying it kind of gets my blood flowing.

Has anyone ever seen the 3rd Rock from the Sun episode when "Dick" starts smoking.  That was classic.  It really puts it in to perspective how stupid it is.