Jim, M ward, and Conor.

Started by bold99, Jul 02, 2008, 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Love Dogg

QuoteAsian country singer? How funny is that? I think part of whats so damn appealing about this band is that its serious music made by guys who definitely dont take themselves too seriously.

Ed Zachary  ;)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Sherpa

I love the idea. Ive been waiting for this collaboration since they mentioned it on their "Monsters Of Folk" tour back in 2004. The three of them have a lot of magic going on when they are together.

M Ward is amazing. I have nothing against Mr. Oberst. He is great musician and a phenomenal lyricist. I look forward to both Sec Walkin and Collaboration.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Quote...sweet JJ and M Ward, not a big fan of Oberst but whatever....

That too bad...
God damn those shaky knees.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Oberst is a helluva musician and a great writer, but he needs to cheer up a little. Although I still love his older stuff (give credit where credit is due: to write Fevers and Mirrors and Lifted at the ages he did is pretty damn amazing), Im Wide Awake and Cassadaga just somehow felt like steps in the right direction.

....what I am not a big fan of is the sad stuff, the heart on your sleeve thing is something I never got into.....

Ditto. His songs are just pussy in nature.

Not everyone is happy.  Thats the beauty of art, you get to see all sides of the world.  You can have artists that are angry and show it through their music, some artists that are sad and write songs about it or you can have some people who are happy and play their music accordantly.  At least Conor is honest, he plays music that is him and describes him.  I find that kinda stuff beautiful - looking into a different kind of person and seeing the pain and the struggle they go through. For example, Elliot Smith.  

Anyway - Conor, Jim and Ward are a perfect trio because they all bring something different to the table.  Also, Conor is BY FAR the best lyricist of them all...in my opinion...
God damn those shaky knees.

DavidCrosby

Oberst is a helluva musician and a great writer, but he needs to cheer up a little. Although I still love his older stuff (give credit where credit is due: to write Fevers and Mirrors and Lifted at the ages he did is pretty damn amazing), Im Wide Awake and Cassadaga just somehow felt like steps in the right direction.

....what I am not a big fan of is the sad stuff, the heart on your sleeve thing is something I never got into.....

Ditto. His songs are just pussy in nature.

Not everyone is happy.  Thats the beauty of art, you get to see all sides of the world.  You can have artists that are angry and show it through their music, some artists that are sad and write songs about it or you can have some people who are happy and play their music accordantly.  At least Conor is honest, he plays music that is him and describes him.  I find that kinda stuff beautiful - looking into a different kind of person and seeing the pain and the struggle they go through. For example, Elliot Smith.  

Anyway - Conor, Jim and Ward are a perfect trio because they all bring something different to the table.  Also, Conor is BY FAR the best lyricist of them all...in my opinion...

...I have no problem with his music or how his music is so sad, do whatever floats your boat.....I just don't really like it.....
listen to vinyl

brkndwnbus

I'll agree Oberst is the best when it comes to lyrics out of the three. I really like "I'm Wide Awake..." and his earlier stuff. I was pumped for "Cassadaga" and was then turned off. I still can't listen to that album. I only like maybe 3 songs off that album. I am looking forward to his "solo" album coming out soon. The live versions of the songs are damn good.

j_rud

QuoteJJ = Bat Man
M.Ward = Robin
C.O. = Cat Woman

No?
I see it more as...

Jim = Space Ghost
M.Ward = Brak
Oberst = Zorak
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Jim & M Ward = Mom and Dad
Conor = their little child

I'll definitely be at a monsters of folk show if it comes near me and I'll gladly hand the C man a tissue if need be.  let there be folk.

TGMC421

QuoteJJ = Bat Man
M.Ward = Robin
C.O. = Cat Woman

No?
I see it more as...

Jim = Space Ghost
M.Ward = Brak
Oberst = Zorak

Haha, awesome!

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

By the way, either I overlooked it previously, or that is by far the best Monster of Folk recording I have ever heard.  Get it.

http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/2008/06/got-forty-fives-to-play-at-night-m-ward.html

Anyone know the song that is listed as "Like It Should"?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ghosts_on_TV

I was at the Philly MOF  show and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. Also, about Conor "crying" about stuff in his songs, His more recent music isn't really like that. NOt saying a lot of it isn't sad, but it's not really "she broke up with me, boo hoo" kind of shit anymore. I'm sure if anyone here had their music documented since they were 13, you'd have plenty of shit like that too.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Love Dogg

QuoteI was at the Philly MOF  show and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. Also, about Conor "crying" about stuff in his songs, His more recent music isn't really like that. NOt saying a lot of it isn't sad, but it's not really "she broke up with me, boo hoo" kind of shit anymore. I'm sure if anyone here had their music documented since they were 13, you'd have plenty of shit like that too.

I personally can't stand the way he says his S's.  Drives me nuts.  >:(
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

BH

QuoteBy the way, either I overlooked it previously, or that is by far the best Monster of Folk recording I have ever heard.  Get it.

http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/2008/06/got-forty-fives-to-play-at-night-m-ward.html

Anyone know the song that is listed as "Like It Should"?

Seriously People, download this show.  If only for this sequence......

09 One In The Same (Very Rare)
10 Like It Should (I don't even know WTF this is!  Except that it's awesome, that's all)
11 I Can't Wait (Unreleased Original - Very Rare)
12 Where To Begin (There is only one full band version of this on the archive.  This is the first time it shows up on a Jim solo performance anywhere although he probably performed it at several MOF shows, most of which have missing setlists.)
13 How Could I Know (Several Full Band version on the archive but again, this is the first time I have ever seen it on a Jim solo set.)

Where To Begin is just amazing.   :o  It's a great example of how Jim can be soft and loud at all the right moments.

Edit:   I have seen Where To Begin and How Could I Know on some MOF sets and live recordings but none of them are available on the archive and none of them sound as good as this one.

Anu

And they do Obama rallies!