Jim, M ward, and Conor.

Started by bold99, Jul 02, 2008, 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bold99

nothing new here if you read the Rolling Stone but thought i'd post it anyway.

Jim James fronts My Morning Jacket, who just released a new album, Evil Urges. Conor Oberst takes the helm for any and all Bright Eyes doings, as well as doings taking place under his own name. And M. Ward-- though primarily a solo artist-- has garnered quite a bit of notice for his recent work with actress-ternt-sanga Zooey Deschanel in She & Him.

Point being, these are people with plenty going on for themselves. And yet, according to a tidbit in a recent Rolling Stone piece, these busy fellas have freed up enough time to whip up a collaborative LP. Woo! No other details right now, unfortunately. But there have been rumblings about these guys teaming up for a bit now.

James also offered another piece of highly suspicious news. Rolling Stone reports that  he's "making music as an alter ego he describes as an Asian country star named Sec Walkin (after the Evil Urges tune about walking)."

James told RS, "It's such a great country name, like Trace Adkins. Look for us at the top of the charts." Will do, goofball.

While you wait on that little doozy to come to fruition, look for My Morning Jacket on the road throughout the rest of the year-- all the way until New Year's Eve, when they'll play Madison Square Garden to ring in 2009.

Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Angry Ewok

Quote[....]an Asian country star named Sec Walkin[...]

Asian?
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

shockadow

From Pitchfork:

[size=20]Jim James, Conor Oberst, M. Ward Recording Together
Jim James to adopt "Asian country star" alter ego
[/size]
Jim James photo by Autumn de Wilde

Jim James fronts My Morning Jacket, who just released a new album, Evil Urges. Conor Oberst takes the helm for any and all Bright Eyes doings, as well as doings taking place under his own name. And M. Ward-- though primarily a solo artist-- has garnered quite a bit of notice for his recent work with actress-ternt-sanga Zooey Deschanel in She & Him.

Point being, these are people with plenty going on for themselves. And yet, according to a tidbit in a recent Rolling Stone piece, these busy fellas have freed up enough time to whip up a collaborative LP. Woo! No other details right now, unfortunately. But there have been rumblings about these guys teaming up for a bit now.

James also offered another piece of highly suspicious news. Rolling Stone reports that  he's "making music as an alter ego he describes as an Asian country star named Sec Walkin (after the Evil Urges tune about walking)."

James told RS, "It's such a great country name, like Trace Adkins. Look for us at the top of the charts." Will do, goofball.

While you wait on that little doozy to come to fruition, look for My Morning Jacket on the road throughout the rest of the year-- all the way until New Year's Eve, when they'll play Madison Square Garden to ring in 2009.

MMJ:

07-02 Cologne, Germany - Luxor
07-04 Werchter, Belgium - Rock Werchter Festival
07-06 Kent, England - The Hop Farm
07-08 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Melkweg
07-09 Paris, France - Le Trabendo
07-11 Nottingham, England - Rescue Rooms
07-13 Balado, Scotland - T in the Park
07-15 London, England - The Forum
07-19 Benicàssim, Spain - Benicàssim Festival
07-26 Pemberton, British Columbia - Pemberton Festival
08-01-03 Newport, RI - Newport Folk Festival (Jim James solo acoustic)
08-15 Nashville, TN - Riverfront Park
08-16 Louisville, KY - Waterfront Park ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
08-18 Kansas City, MO - Uptown Theatre ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
08-19 Council Bluffs, IA - Stir Cove ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
08-21 Morrison, CO - Red Rocks Amphitheater *
08-23 Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
08-24 Austin, TX - Stubbs ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
08-27 Atlanta, GA - Fox Theatre ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
08-29 Miami, FL - Jackie Gleason Theater ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
08-30 Lake Buena Vista, FL - House of Blues Orlando ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
08-31 Myrtle Beach, SC - House of Blues ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
09-02 Charlottesville, VA - Charlottesville Pavilion ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
09-03 Washington, DC - Constitution Hall ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
09-05 Philadelphia, PA - Festival Pier ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
09-06 Boston, MA - Bank of America Pavilion ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
09-19 Berkeley, CA - Greek Theatre ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
09-21 Los Angeles, CA - Greek Theatre ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
09-23 Tempe, AZ - The Marquee ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
09-24 Las Vegas, NV - The Joint ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
09-25 San Diego, CA - SDSU Open Air Theater ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
09-27 Portland, OR - McMenamins Edgefield ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
09-28 Seattle, WA - McCaw Hall ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
10-02 Minneapolis, MN - Orpheum Theatre ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
10-03 Milwaukee, WI - Riverside Theater ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
10-04 Detroit, MI - Fillmore ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
10-09 Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
10-10 Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")
12-31 New York, NY - Madison Square Garden ("An Evening With My Morning Jacket")

I hope these "Evenings with MMJ" are epic, 3+hour rock outs!!!
O, How time flies, with crystal clear eyes.  But it's cold, it's cold, when you're ending with diamond eyes.

j_rud

Asian country singer? How funny is that? I think part of whats so damn appealing about this band is that its serious music made by guys who definitely dont take themselves too seriously.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

Tony Two Tone

Out on a limb here but does anyone remember that "Hey Arnold!" cartoon?  They had an asian tenant in the apartment and one episode he started playing guitar and singing for everyone and was voiced by Randy Travis.  Funny shit.

First thing that came to mind when I heard Asian country singer.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Wow... this band sure keeps us on our toes.

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

DavidCrosby

...sweet JJ and M Ward, not a big fan of Oberst but whatever....
listen to vinyl

j_rud

Quote...sweet JJ and M Ward, not a big fan of Oberst but whatever....
Oberst is a helluva musician and a great writer, but he needs to cheer up a little. Although I still love his older stuff (give credit where credit is due: to write Fevers and Mirrors and Lifted at the ages he did is pretty damn amazing), Im Wide Awake and Cassadaga just somehow felt like steps in the right direction.

DavidCrosby

Oberst is a helluva musician and a great writer, but he needs to cheer up a little. Although I still love his older stuff (give credit where credit is due: to write Fevers and Mirrors and Lifted at the ages he did is pretty damn amazing), Im Wide Awake and Cassadaga just somehow felt like steps in the right direction.

....what I am not a big fan of is the sad stuff, the heart on your sleeve thing is something I never got into.....
listen to vinyl

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I don't have a lot of exposure to mr. oberst but I liked "I'm wide awake it's morning".  one of the songs on there sounds just like an M Ward song from transfiguration of vincent.  I think its called helicopter. the verse sounds almost identical melody wise.  I agree though, if he stopped crying on stage I might have a little more respect for him.

BH

....what I am not a big fan of is the sad stuff, the heart on your sleeve thing is something I never got into.....

I understand that but I wouldn't expect that statement from an MMJ fan. :-/
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

j_rud

Maybe it wasnt the best choice of words. There is a difference between wearing your heart on your sleeve and being a sad bastard.

DavidCrosby

....I'm not sure why, but it seems to me when I have heard a lot of his music when he was talking about pain or being depressed it was very plain and simple (I'm sure you can give me a book of lyrics to prove me wrong) and that is what I meant by "heart on your sleeve" not nessecarily the subject matter.....
listen to vinyl

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I just don't get why he has to cry all the time.  literally, for real tears.  I'm awake it's morning has hardcore drug references smack in your face, is he still messin with the nasty?  anyone on the inside? ET, TMZ?? inquiring minds want to know.   I was fucking hooked on that CD though, he definitely has talent I just wish he wasn't so angsty.  "did I tell you about this one time 10 years ago ::tears sniffle sniffle:: that this girl and I were in love and then we broke up, this is a song about it ::sings with tears streaming down his face::

conor needs to man up an grow a pair.  st8 up.

YouAre_GivenToFly

conor needs to man up an grow a pair.

he has. listen to cassadega.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Angry Ewok

Ditto. His songs are just pussy in nature.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

1derfulman

JJ = Bat Man
M.Ward = Robin
C.O. = Cat Woman

No?

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

conor needs to man up an grow a pair.

he has. listen to cassadega.

I did. it still seems like his pair hasn't fully descended yet.

BH

I only have two albums, so I wouldn't call myself a huge fan, but I think I'm Wide Awake It's Morning is a masterpiece.  He can cry until he's dehydrated for all I care, as long as he brings those amazing musical skills to this Monsters of Folk project!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteI only have two albums, so I wouldn't call myself a huge fan, but I think I'm Wide Awake It's Morning is a masterpiece.  He can cry until he's dehydrated for all I care, as long as he brings those amazing musical skills to this Monsters of Folk project!

I know jim's on I'm wide awake its morning, what other albums does he guest on?