Tales Of My Morning Jacket

Started by Bigsky, Jun 06, 2008, 11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigsky

Let me hear it...what is your best MMJ story...

My Morning Jacket and the adventure of.....

Kory

tales? I was confused as shit as I crack open my 7th beer...
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.
Also, [url="http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com"]http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com[/url]

ycartrob

I'll give it a shot. We saw them in Knoxville the night
before they played Nashville in 2005. I saw them play
5 shows in like 4 months. Crazy. Jim goes off on some
rant about someone smoking crack in the crowd, that
he smelled crack, and that people need to remember
to share their crack with the band

well,

The Krunk unit was in effect the next night in Nashville
(Brian, AB, Cory, Tom, me, LA, some others).
My wife made a sign that said KRUNK UNIT on 1 side and
FREE CRACK on the other. I was skeptical about bringing
it to the show but she insisted (and, she's usually right).
So we're up close, and Tom E is holding the sign over
his head (and Tom is already like 6'3" or something?) and
Jim says, "Well, where is it?" So, waiting for the encore,
Brucie comes out to the end of the stage and says, "Jim
wants your sign".  So Brucie gets the sign and duct
tapes it to Jim's thingee there:

so, we had a great time, found out where they were going
after the show and hung out with them to the weee hours
of the morning. I had made my wife a t-shirt that said:

REVERB
+ ANYTHING
    BETTER

and Jim got a kick out of that.

well,

a couple of weeks later the pics from the Vic Theater Chicago show
got posted and what do you know?

;D ;D ;D

Bigsky

Thank you, very nice way to start this...

Bigsky

Quotetales? I was confused as shit as I crack open my 7th beer...

Nice catch..that is a whole different thread...I would like to see where that goes...Tails  of My Morning Jacket. I must have been high. ::)

Kory

Quotetales? I was confused as shit as I crack open my 7th beer...

Nice catch..that is a whole different thread...I would like to see where that goes...Tails  of My Morning Jacket. I must have been high. ::)

haha, I just envisioned a little two tone running around with mouse tales...
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.
Also, [url="http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com"]http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com[/url]

Ive got an EVIL plan babe

Just cause it starts off slow babe, doesn't mean I  don't have evil urges.

AWasik

I ve been listening to mmj for a couple of years now.  I had stumbled upon them on accident at Bonnaroo.  Now I am a huge fuckin fan.  My wife and I even walked out to "Off the Record" at our wedding!!!!

Bigsky

Tracy has got the best story, so far... ::)

MMJ_fanatic

My 1st show will always rock--I had done a promo through the buddy system and brought one of the posters with me.  I caught Pat walking to the dressing room and asked if I could have everyone sign it, if you please.  The next thing I know Pat is waving me up to the dressing room to hang and chat with everyone--a true holy shit moment thank ye kindly.

This is rivaled only by seeing them at Symphony Hall with the Pops.  This was my 1st show after being hit on my motorcycle and losing my right leg below the knee.  I caught the guys coming out of the stage door and Jim just gave me this huge rough bear hug as a greeting--totally blew me away cuz I knew they had heard about my shit through contacts in tha Ville.  

Thank you guys for being truly beautiful.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Killgies

QuoteMy 1st show will always rock--I had done a promo through the buddy system and brought one of the posters with me.  I caught Pat walking to the dressing room and asked if I could have everyone sign it, if you please.  The next thing I know Pat is waving me up to the dressing room to hang and chat with everyone--a true holy shit moment thank ye kindly.

This is rivaled only by seeing them at Symphony Hall with the Pops.  This was my 1st show after being hit on my motorcycle and losing my right leg below the knee.  I caught the guys coming out of the stage door and Jim just gave me this huge rough bear hug as a greeting--totally blew me away cuz I knew they had heard about my shit through contacts in tha Ville.  

Thank you guys for being truly beautiful.

WOW! Thats amazing!

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

Killgies

A couple of years ago at the Rites of Spring Fest at Vandy I talked to Pat before they went on. Clap your Hands and Say Yeah were playing at the moment and we begin talking about them. He asked me what I thought about their music. I just smiled and said I think you guys will blow them out of the water!
Any ways short story long. He was really nice to talk to.

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

LEATHER KID

I met Jim at Bonnaroo 06 the night after their epic performance. Got a hug and a picture,  he was very nice.  
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

easy way

I heard a that speech about the CRACK at blue cats in Knoxville that tour. My girl KP somehow ends up standing next to Jim's mom and aunt and they expressed their discontent with the topic. She was given insight as to what Dondante and Wonderful Man were actually about and the three gals shed a tear over those tunes. She also was left with a couple of funny stories about Jim when he was just a lad. Well, after the show, she ends up going backstage to the meet and greet and got yet another pic with Jim...he was wearing a 'Cat in the Hat' red and white striped hat.
Meanwhile, I was outside hanging around the new shiney black tour bus the boys were using that tour and out stepped Tom and Patrick. We joked for a while and before they stepped back up, I thanked them for saving my life. The tone changed and Pat looked at me with a dead serious look and said, 'that's what it's all about...that's why we do this'.
I can honestly say that I wouldn't be on this earth if it weren't for the inspiration and hope that I have gotten from them...both from Jim's lyrics as well as the emotional triumph that they leave on stage.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

bold99

I have one.  I think I told this on some other thread but here goes anyway.  So I saw MMJ in Boston at avalon.  The next night they were playing in Portland, ME so we went to that show too.  the Boston show was packed, sold out.  The next night in Portland it was an aweful night out in Oct. Portland is a summer town on the water so the city was dead.  There were probably 200 people at the show max.  From out hotel room across the street you can hear Jim voice doing soundcheck, thats how dead it was.  So the show starts and Jim comes out and explains that Tommy got sick eating seafood in Boston and he's in the infirmary.  He says we are going to play without him but says don't worry they are still going to rock.  And they did.  I was right up front.  He did a few solo acoustic songs to fill in.  Then they come out for the encore and there is Tommy.  Comes out in his hospital scrubs.  It was awesome.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

logan5ive

Great stories so far!  :)  As I mentioned in one of the RCMH threads, my wife and I met and talked with Patrick's family before the RCMH show as we were sitting in the row behind him. Mighty fine people.
MMJ Shows 2005-2022 [30]

porchdweller

I've told this in another thread as well.  But I was at the Lville gardens show before thanksgiving in 06 and we were kicking it Sampson style.  I was kind of weirded out because I didn't want to fire up around old people and they were kind of looking at us weird.  Well, after we finished the old folks were standing around and seemed to enjoy the show and also noticed we were.  So I tried to just have a conversation to feel out whether they would be cool with us kicking it Sampson style and he was very nice.

So he asked if we had seen them before and I said yeah, there's about 6 of us here that have been to several shows, download bootlegs etc.  That we really enjoy the band and I asked him if this is the first time he had seen them.  He replied with, "yeah, a few times."
I remarked, "That's awesome, so you've been listening to them for a while," and he said, "Yeah, I'm an old school fan, my son is actually up there singing."  
"You're fucking Jim's dad.  OMG"  
He was real cool.  Just down to earth.  Wanted to talk and told a couple of cool stories while they were on tour with Pearl Jam and how Jim enjoyed those guys, etc.  I expressed my thorough enjoyment with drum build up for Run Thru, haha.  His family was real nice, just cool down to earth folks.  Honestly seemed a bit like my family.  Seemed real proud of their son and that he was enjoying what he does with his life.
It's just the way that he sings

weeniebeenie

QuoteI've told this in another thread as well.  But I was at the Lville gardens show before thanksgiving in 06 and we were kicking it Sampson style.  I was kind of weirded out because I didn't want to fire up around old people and they were kind of looking at us weird.  Well, after we finished the old folks were standing around and seemed to enjoy the show and also noticed we were.  So I tried to just have a conversation to feel out whether they would be cool with us kicking it Sampson style and he was very nice.

So he asked if we had seen them before and I said yeah, there's about 6 of us here that have been to several shows, download bootlegs etc.  That we really enjoy the band and I asked him if this is the first time he had seen them.  He replied with, "yeah, a few times."
I remarked, "That's awesome, so you've been listening to them for a while," and he said, "Yeah, I'm an old school fan, my son is actually up there singing."  
"You're fucking Jim's dad.  OMG"  
He was real cool.  Just down to earth.  Wanted to talk and told a couple of cool stories while they were on tour with Pearl Jam and how Jim enjoyed those guys, etc.  I expressed my thorough enjoyment with drum build up for Run Thru, haha.  His family was real nice, just cool down to earth folks.  Honestly seemed a bit like my family.  Seemed real proud of their son and that he was enjoying what he does with his life.
Wow, that's really cool. I don't have any Jacket stories yet. Except that they're awesome, but you all knew that...
How loud can silence get?

DavidCrosby

....heres my Jacket story (ps: not nearly the same caliber of all the other stories so far, good work so far)....

...so me and my friends are at Bonnaroo 2008 and we are going to go see the Jacket (none of them had seen them before at this point and only had ever really heard them when I was listening to them)....but they are all really into techno and Tiesto was playing the same time but started a little later....so my dumb friends leave to go to Tiesto.....what happens, they said Tiesto was lame and after hearing the boot of the show they all wish they had stayed and now we are all going to see them on New Years Eve with me.....they left one of the greatest shows I have ever seen to go see someone play the CD they could have just played in the car....opps!!!.....
listen to vinyl

masterplanjohn

I don't have a truly interesting tale, but the looks on the faces of Jacket-virgins after their first show is a tale all its own. I remember that day I had it, and still love seeing my unsuspecting friends get it.  Just an ear to ear smile that says: wow, what did I just witness?