Vacations, Holidays & Travels

Started by dragonboy, Mar 23, 2006, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

I'm off to visit my parents at their new house in Spain for the first time this Sunday. My wife can't make it so I'm meeting her in Paris for a few days on the way back.
Man, I love to travel (who doesn't?)

I love Hawaii! I've been there 4 times now both to Oahu & Maui. I've also been to Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Guam, America, France, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, The Czech Republic (Prague is fav city) The Netherlands & Belgium.
I'd like to visit South America, I'd really love to see Machu Picchu.
Oh yer, I've also been to Japan  ;)

What's your fav country/holiday destination? Where would you like to visit? Share your travel stories etc
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jaimoe

I want to visit Japan, Ireland and Scotland.

Some of my recent favourtie places so far have been Mississippi, Quebec City, Nova Scotia, The Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, Charlottetown Prince Edward Island, Cape Enrage New Brunswick.

My favourite place in the world: Red Pine Lake in Ontario (my uncle owns an island in the Muskokas, a region of a 100,000 lakes in the northern tip of Southern Ontario).

wellfleet

my bestest friend had a cabin in muskoka and it was great for fishing and stuff. being a city girl, all the quiet and clean air and peace really freaked me out.

i love the amalfi coast of italy, positano, dreamy...

i will recommend montreal to anyone and everyone

california, what can i say, it's intoxicating, and not just the pollution in L.A. if you can surf and ski in the same state, i'm in!

israel and egypt (the calm areas) to dig into real history

i've never been to hawaii but it's been my dream destination forever. while waiting for my green card, i can't travel outside the US, so HI would be ideal. maybe for our belated honeymoon...

very interested in Oz and southeast asia but asian people really seem to dislike me, i don't know why.
everything sucks. really.

dragonboy

Jaimoe, let me know if you ever do plan to come to Japan, hopefully I'll still be here & can help you out somehow.

Wellfleet, you HAVE to go to Hawaii. Check out this rental that we stayed at for a few days as part of our Honeymoon:
http://www.wildgingerfalls.com/
Make sure you check out the pic of the waterfall, this was in our backgarden!
http://www.wildgingerfalls.com/cottage2.html

Can I ask, what makes you think Asian people dislike you?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jaimoe

QuoteJaimoe, let me know if you ever do plan to come to Japan, hopefully I'll still be here & can help you out somehow.

/quote]

I'm planning a Japan trip in the next 18 months to two years. Thanks for the offer. My best friend lives in Japan and is an editor for the Asahi News. My first cousin has lived in Japan for almost 15 years too.

wellfleet

dragon... it's just this weird feeling i get when i go to sushi bars or chinese/korean/thai/vietnamese restaurants. i feel like i get dirty looks from the waitstaff. maybe it's just me being nuts, or just waiters who hate everybody (like i did)...
i am as nice and respectful as i can possibly be. i don't act obnoxious or ask stupid questions or say "saki to me". i say edamame, and unagi and use the proper terminology and etiquette. i don't ask for more ginger. i always say thank you and leave a big tip, and for some reason i feel the sushi chef wants to drive that knife into my heart because i am a filthy white girl. and it's even more stupid because i had tons of asian friends (mostly chinese) in school.

OMG those cottages are gorgeous, and the prices are so reasonable. thanks for that, we're saving up for a couple's vacation/honeymoon we didn't get to enjoy after the wedding. i love it that they provide fresh coffee beans. hawaiian coffee is divine... aaawww... now i wanna go really bad...  :P

dragonboy

QuoteI'm planning a Japan trip in the next 18 months to two years. Thanks for the offer. My best friend lives in Japan and is an editor for the Asahi News. My first cousin has lived in Japan for almost 15 years too.

Looks like you're sorted! :)
Where do your friend & cousin live? Do you think you'll be able to get to Kyoto?
Kyoto is my fav city in Japan, so many amazing temples, so much history.

primushead

I've never been out of the southeast U.S. (Unless you count my birthplace of Anchorage...which I don't remember any of).  I'm way jealous of ya'lls traveling exploits.  
I'm hoping to have enough money saved up when I graduate to go on a month long Europe expedition...so we'll see :)

Jaimoe

Looks like you're sorted! :)
Where do your friend & cousin live? Do you think you'll be able to get to Kyoto?
Kyoto is my fav city in Japan, so many amazing temples, so much history.

My friend is a Japanese Canadian and he married a Japanese woman 6 years ago. They live in Tokyo with their two kids who probably could claim dual citizenship. He wants to move back to Canada but his wife's English isn't "confident" enough - and I think you know exactly what I mean in a Japanese context.

My cousin has lived in Kyoto teaching English to businesses for nearly 15 years. He wants to leave Japan too, but he's lived in that cultural vacuum for almost too long and is having trouble relating to North American society, especially the rapid evolution and diversity of our education system and workforce.

ali

i'm jealous too - i haven't been outside of australia yet... saving up for a holiday mid-year in either queensland or fiji (mmmm sitting on a beach for a week sounds gooood) and then a proper europe trip probably next year. there are so many places i want to see, its going to be hard narrowing it down!! i've got family in england & holland, and a friend near New York, so maybe i'll start with those three places!!

it's very typical of australians to go overseas before seeing our own country too - i've never been north of sydney, never been to the outback or uluru... one of these days!  :)
love a song for the way it makes you feel

wellfleet

ali... just know that some of us, namely me, are awed by the fact that to you, fiji is right next door. how beautiful... i'm terrified of flying and know that when we finally make a trip down under i'm going to need a lot of valium.

ratsprayer

ive been to canada once.  my great uncle has a lodge in armstrong, about 150 miles from thunder bay, which is out in the middle of fucking nowhere.  the entire drive from thunder bay to there we saw one train and one car.  anyway its an 8 cabin lodge resort on out a peninsula on caribou lake which i think it s a 25 mile long lake.  its pure secluded wilderness paradise.  i was only 10 when i went, so im long overdue in going back.

other than that, the wife and i honeymooned and visited parts of mississippi and lousiana a few years ago.  we drove all the way out to grand isle which was an experience all its own.  it was the first time id seen the ocean, and even then, it was only the gulf which i consider to be cheating a bit.  

last april we took the kids out to new mexico for a week, and i fucking loved it.  i dont think i could live there at all, but the scenery is fucking great.  we drove to the top of la sandia which overlooks albuquerque, i think the elevation is 10,768 (3283m) and thats the highest ive ever been.  we stayed in T or C most of the trip and took advantage of the mineral springs there, theyre spectacular!  we took one day to drive over to the gila cliff dwellings, id recommend that for anyone interested in native american history.

this year, travelling is a low priority due to finances.  were planning to explore northern ohio along lake erie since ive only been up in that area one time before.

Tree

i´ve already been to: autria, switzerland, belgium, netherlands, france, monaco, luxembourg, czech rep., denmark, andorra, spain, italy, portugal, usa and canada.

i loved canda. beautiful country. i travel almost every year to portugal. love it, too.

EC

Quotei loved canda. beautiful country.
man, i was just coming home and was heading down yonge street and these dudes shouted "canada fucking sucks.  i hate canada."  it was hilarious.  i think they were too cold or something.  ;)

i haven't done a whole lot of travelling, but when i do get away, i am so happy for it.  i've been to most of canada, a fair amount of the us, england, ireland and scotland.

i really want to do mainland europe, and i think if somebody said that i could go wherever i wanted to, i would choose japan.  

for the ninjas.

Tree

when i was in canada we drove with a car to Florida--->NYC---->Toronto

that was a nice trip. but i´d like to travel to alaska or iceland.

ali

i am going to europe in june!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
love a song for the way it makes you feel

Tree

nice. where are you going to?

only 3 more days!  8)

Jaimoe

I'm heading to France in May for my sister's wedding. I'll be there for 12 days.

I'll be in Cuba in August - staying in a 5 star hotel in Havana for 3 days, then off to a Sandals resort in Varadero for 4 days. I'm planning on heading to my best freind's cottage this summer on Eagle Lake in Eastern Ontario, just north of the beautiful city of Kingston.

EC

i am very excited about going to my dad's farm for easter.  that's like a little break.  and then aaaaaaalabama.  and nashville.

sorry, i know you all know that.  i'm just really really looking forward to gettin' outta here.  :)

Elizanne33

Quotei am going to europe in june!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm going in July. I am so excited! I am going to England, France, Italy, and Germany. I can't wait. ;D