Guerilla Art

Started by vespachick, Nov 18, 2007, 07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vespachick

So, I'm really torn about some guerilla art that's gone up around my apartment. Somebody has put up all these paintings around my part of town, more each day. They're done on large pieces of plywood (most of which are at least 2x3 - some much bigger, some a bit smaller).  Each are of them are nailed, heavily, to phone polls and they don't come off with two-handed pulling (I've tried; hammer no go).  They're very rudimentary paintings, a bit "Pollacky" in nature and all they say is "Portland", or "Portland Unite".  I LOVE THEM; can't stop thinking about them.  Each day it seems another is put up.  This morning I saw a new one and I need to have it. The question is whether it's a morally corrupt thing to do, steal one that is.  I mean, in the first place it's guerrilla art and they have no right to be put up in the first place.  Secondly, isn't the whole idea of art to inspire people?  And if I did manage to steal one and hang it on my own wall, wouldn't it necessarily cause me to be thinking about the art on a daily basis thereby justifiying the piece as art?  Oh, conflict. Oh, who has a crow-bar....
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

aMD

I bet the artist would appreciate your admiration and determination to obtain the art.  I say go for it.  of you get one you ought to post a pic so we can see it.

vespachick

Pictures of those which I covet:

red

That's really cool!

ManNamedTruth

QuoteSo, I'm really torn about some guerrilla art that's gone up around my apartment. Somebody has put up all these paintings around my part of town, more each day. They're done on large pieces of plywood (most of which are at least 2x3 - some much bigger, some a bit smaller).  Each are of them are nailed, heavily, to phone polls and they don't come off with two-handed pulling (I've tried; hammer no go).  They're very rudimentary paintings, a bit "Pollacky" in nature and all they say is "Portland", or "Portland Unite".  I LOVE THEM; can't stop thinking about them.  Each day it seems another is put up.  This morning I saw a new one and I need to have it. The question is whether it's a morally corrupt thing to do, steal one that is.  I mean, in the first place it's guerrilla art and they have no right to be put up in the first place.  Secondly, isn't the whole idea of art to inspire people?  And if I did manage to steal one and hang it on my own wall, wouldn't it necessarily cause me to be thinking about the art on a daily basis thereby justifiying the piece as art?  Oh, conflict. Oh, who has a crow-bar....

speaking as an artist, i know not everyone appreciates it or gets it. i think if you like it that much then you should deffinately take one. go for it!  [smiley=thumbup.gif]
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

ycartrob

so I've looked all these paintings at every possible angle and I still don't see a guerrilla.

Can someone help me?  Thanks

pawpaw

Cool post! I'd say keep the signs up, the artist put them out in public to be seen. But, I'm pretty sure they'll be taken down soon, either by the city or others who think they're cool looking, so if you want one, act fast!

I see quite a bit of guerrilla, street art in the area I work (SOMA/Mission, SF). Screenprinted posters and fliers, custom stickers, tags and murals on sidewalks and walls. There are a lot of talented and clever artists around here, and they often have vital points of view on a wide range of social and politcal issues. Other times, there is no message, only a cool or funny graphic, masterfully executed. I personally always appreciated a well placed, well done piece of guerrilla art. Many pieces have been done with permission, have lasted for years, and are defining components of alleys, blocks and neighborhoods.

BUT, I also sympathize with the propoerty owners whose buildings these pieces often end up on without permission. At the very least, it takes time to clean up, if not quite a bit of money to touch up or re-paint a building. While I appreciate a lot of the work that goes up, I also say that if anyone gets caught doing any work without permission, they should face the legal consequences. I've always thought that posters are a good, relatively harmless option (and the plywood signs up in Portland too). Also, I can't stand the little scrawling, amateur tags that are often quickly done on the fronts of buildings, sides of buses, quick little artless shit. Bring some imagination and beauty to the streets!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

MarkW

I love to see Banksy's stuff every now and again in London.  He's a star (and now uber famous)...

Sorry it's so big  :-/
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

red

Banksy's stuff rules!  I posted my current wallpaper (one his works) in the random image thread.  One day I'll see some with my own eyes.

bowl of soup

My daughter did work very similar.  Allthough she generally calls for her and Zappa (my dog) to unite in ever more complex plans to tip over the candy bowl.  She's 4.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Jenny

take it. leave a note. tell them how lovely.

also, look at this.
http://www.frogview.com/show2.php?file=2450

i'm jealous.

vespachick

HA HA!!  Got it!  I rallied my friend to go down to the corner with me, along with the crowbar I got from my Dad's garage over thanksgiving, to go get the art. So we cruised down there, and while we pulled and tugged and tried to get the art off the post, we were just not strong enough... so I'm tugging on the crowbar and "V" is keeping look out, we can't get it it off and we're debating about going back home to get a step stool... we tug some more ...a car rolls up and a guy jumps out of the back seat and immediately runs over and and grabs the tool from V and says that he, too, hates this art that somebody put up (!!!). Two tugs and into the street the plywood goes.  They drive off happily knowing they did some good tonight.  Thanks buddy!!  We cheer, we throw devil horns, we pick up the plywood Art from the street and surrupticiously walk up the street, giddely, walking home talking about how great it is to live here. And we drink more wine.  I's nice....

TheBigChicken

damn I'm so jealous....who's that on the magazine cover....nice touch babe ;)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

vespachick

Such

but you can sit in the grass; it feels good

vespachick

Believe it or not, as it's turning out, this local artist was recently charged with 31 felonies for putting up his stuff I wrote about.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Seriously, this is what the coppers are worring about?  I'm sure there are mcuh more important things that my tax dollar can go toward.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/01/gallery_owner_charged_with_31.html

Gallery owner charged with 31 counts of vandalism over power pole art
Posted by The Oregonian January 31, 2008 18:25PM
Categories: Breaking News

One man's art is another man's graffiti. Or maybe criminal vandalism.

Ryan Wendell Birkland, a 31-year-old owner of a Northwest Portland art gallery, was arrested this afternoon by Portland Police Bureau for blurring the boundary between art and graffiti.

Birkland was charged with 31 counts of first-degree criminal mischief for graffiti vandalism.
Portland Police BureauOne of the plywood boards allegedly placed on utility poles by Ryan Birkland.

Matt Miller, an officer with the bureau's Central Precinct Neighborhood Response Team, said bail for Birkland has been at $150,000. Arraignment, likely in Multnomah County Circuit Court, could be today, Miller said.

Birkland did not give police the reasons for his actions, Miller said. "He asked for an attorney."

"I'll tell you," Miller said, "the graffiti that he was putting on the poles was different from the art that he had in his art studio. He obviously spent much more time and effort on the art in his studio. It was different altogether."

Anyone with information in the ongoing investigation should call Miller at 503-823-0065.

Miller said Birkland appeared to have committed the crimes during fall, placing large plywood boards with painted images onto multiple Portland General Electric utility poles across the city. Miller said roughly 30 boards were nailed to the by Birkland, who police believe acted alone.

Birkland also is accused of vandalizing a water tank in Washington Park.

Miller said he began working on the case in November after the tank was vandalized and, while driving in Northwest Portland, he noticed a utility pole with one of the plywood boards.

A call from a Portland Water Bureau employee led Miller to Gallery 19.

"I went to that location, looked through the front window, and saw three pieces of plywood with the same graffiti on the floor resting against the wall."

the_wizzard

QuoteBelieve it or not, as it's turning out, this local artist was recently charged with 31 felonies for putting up his stuff I wrote about.  Absolutely ridiculous.  Seriously, this is what the coppers are worring about?  I'm sure there are mcuh more important things that my tax dollar can go toward.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/01/gallery_owner_charged_with_31.html

Gallery owner charged with 31 counts of vandalism over power pole art
Posted by The Oregonian January 31, 2008 18:25PM
Categories: Breaking News

One man's art is another man's graffiti. Or maybe criminal vandalism.

Ryan Wendell Birkland, a 31-year-old owner of a Northwest Portland art gallery, was arrested this afternoon by Portland Police Bureau for blurring the boundary between art and graffiti.

Birkland was charged with 31 counts of first-degree criminal mischief for graffiti vandalism.
Portland Police BureauOne of the plywood boards allegedly placed on utility poles by Ryan Birkland.

Matt Miller, an officer with the bureau's Central Precinct Neighborhood Response Team, said bail for Birkland has been at $150,000. Arraignment, likely in Multnomah County Circuit Court, could be today, Miller said.

Birkland did not give police the reasons for his actions, Miller said. "He asked for an attorney."

"I'll tell you," Miller said, "the graffiti that he was putting on the poles was different from the art that he had in his art studio. He obviously spent much more time and effort on the art in his studio. It was different altogether."

Anyone with information in the ongoing investigation should call Miller at 503-823-0065.

Miller said Birkland appeared to have committed the crimes during fall, placing large plywood boards with painted images onto multiple Portland General Electric utility poles across the city. Miller said roughly 30 boards were nailed to the by Birkland, who police believe acted alone.

Birkland also is accused of vandalizing a water tank in Washington Park.

Miller said he began working on the case in November after the tank was vandalized and, while driving in Northwest Portland, he noticed a utility pole with one of the plywood boards.

A call from a Portland Water Bureau employee led Miller to Gallery 19.

"I went to that location, looked through the front window, and saw three pieces of plywood with the same graffiti on the floor resting against the wall."

I'm with you vespa, so not cool...he is an artist who brought some life to other-wise lifeless poles around town.  And he is an artist.  point blank.  not some lame tager.

http://www.ilovegraffiti.com/
*just some great urban murals  :)

ManNamedTruth

BS. don't cops have anything else to do? go solve some real crimes.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

easy jim

great detective work buddy...je-zuus.

that's amazing art.  i would have grabbed one (or two) because some might have ended up trashed by the cops or something.  great find, vespa!
So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!