Main Menu

Pet Peeves

Started by ycartrob, Feb 10, 2008, 02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

A pet peeve (or pet hate) is a minor annoyance that can instill great frustration in an individual. This is different than a current complaint.

One of mine is people who are constantly late for meetings at work.

MarkW

People who use the word "less" when they should use "fewer".  But only if they should know better (the media, in particular).

Then again, I'm a pedant.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Taterbug

People that eat with there mouths open, or talk while eating, ( spitting food everywhere). I have a hard time going to the movies, the sound of people crunching on popcorn makes me batshit crazy.

People that don't use turn signals.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

red

I'll second the people eating with their mouths open and talking with their mouth full.  I really dislike small talk, and am pretty much incapable of making it.

People who overuse their cell phones drive me crazy.  And people who wear sunglasses indoors.  

ycartrob

Quote I really dislike small talk, and am pretty much incapable of making it.

wow, spot on! My IQ dissolves into nothingness if I have to make small talk. I feel like an alien in groups of more than 3 or 4  :-[

Taterbug

People that have handicaped licence plates that are perfectly healthy and don't need them  >:(    
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Taterbug

wow, spot on! My IQ dissolves into nothingness if I have to make small talk. I feel like an alien in groups of more than 3 or 4  :-[
What about 1 on 1 standing at a urinal , there is always one dude that likes to talk to strangers while pissin( usually some drunk douch ).

.Walt

what grinds my gears...

i get really pissed at myself if i drop something twice.

rich people who don't tip & people who pay with a credit card over the phone. they think its their get out of tipping card.

people who breathe really loud.

so many more
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

mjkoehler

What about 1 on 1 standing at a urinal , there is always one dude that likes to talk to strangers while pissin( usually some drunk douch ).
Isn't that against the guy code anyway?

I'm with you on the tardiness to meetings, Tracy. We have kind of an unofficial rule that meetings do not start until about 5 minutes after posted time because people in Marketing are NEVER on time. Another one is that damn 4 PM meeting. Some of us go to work early to avoid the traffic and to get some shit done before everyone else gets in. I refuse to attend these on general principal anymore.

ycartrob

Isn't that against the guy code anyway?

I'm with you on the tardiness to meetings, Tracy. We have kind of an unofficial rule that meetings do not start until about 5 minutes after posted time because people in Marketing are NEVER on time. Another one is that damn 4 PM meeting. Some of us go to work early to avoid the traffic and to get some shit done before everyone else gets in. I refuse to attend these on general principal anymore.

I work with young people and one of them said to me, "The one thing I have learned about this place is that it's OK to show up 10-15 minutes late". This bummed me out (b/c it was true) and I thought I'd challenge fellow employees to "show up when they are supposed to" and good lord you would have thought I had insulted people's mothers! Some people are genuinely pissed at me for challenging them to show up on time, b/c the young people in our program think this is an acceptable way to behave (of course, through our words we "teach" these young people to be on time...). yikes

mjkoehler

QuoteI work with young people and one of them said to me, "The one thing I have learned about this place is that it's OK to show up 10-15 minutes late". This bummed me out (b/c it was true) and I thought I'd challenge fellow employees to "show up when they are supposed to" and good lord you would have thought I had insulted people's mothers! Some people are genuinely pissed at me for challenging them to show up on time, b/c the young people in our program think this is an acceptable way to behave (of course, through our words we "teach" these young people to be on time...). yikes

You sure you do not work at Nestle with me? That pretty much describes any group or team at work were there are some fresh out of college Marketing or Sales rep and everyone else that is over 30 and been there a while.

vespachick

I hate that my dog refuses to sleep on the bed with me.

My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

rob

QuotePeople that eat with there mouths open

People who don't know when to use 'their', 'they're' or 'there' in the right context.  :)
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

Penny Lane

People who don't know when to use 'their', 'they're' or 'there' in the right context.  :)

1. people who use "real" when they mean "really" (real good, real big, real sweet) it's not an adverb!

2. people on the morning commute (train or bus) who insist on talking on their cell phones--it's like 'what is SO important that you need to recap w/your best friend at 7am?'

3. people who wear skinny jeans who are not skinny---do people reallly not know they look like a snail coming out of its casing?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

EC

people who stop.  full stop.  a step off the escalator ("oh hi there, there are about 60 people about to crush you into pulp on the subway platform here, you wanna move a step or two???")

the bus to work the last couple of months has been a pet peeve.  it's so crammed that i can't move, and i think to myself "how come the transit fare just went up?  why am i paying $2.75 to be a sardine when i paid, like, 50 cents in austin and could've stretched out on three chairs?"

big talkers who don't back it up with big actions.  

Taterbug

:) caught me,  I hope your not peeved anymore  :D

MMJ_fanatic

people who say "irregardless"  instead of regardless

people who don't use the automatic spell-check, built into Outlook, for their e-mails

people who don't  capitalize  ;)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

mjkoehler

Quotepeople who don't use the automatic spell-check, built into Outlook, for their e-mails
Good one.....even worse when it is Executives.

kyjed48

Working in a professional setting with someone  who refuses to bathe!  I've never understood why hygiene is an issue with some people. >:(
[url="//myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin"]myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin[/url]

SMc55

:) caught me,  I hope your not peeved anymore  :D

Good one!  ;D