Bay to Breakers

Started by bbill, May 16, 2008, 10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawpaw

Bay to Breakers is a running race, held every May in San Francisco. The 12k course is always from down in the financial district on the Bay, all the way West across the city to the ocean (hence the name...). While every year there are thousands of registered, actual running racers, far more people use the fact that the city's traffic is shut down to start a huge, moving party. Lots of people dress up in costume, others go totally naked, kegs get pushed across the city in shopping carts...it's like a city wide block party!

Well, the race is this Sunday! Any Bay Area folks going? Any out of towners ever heard of it, or participated? The forecast is for a high of 75, partly sunny, so it should be perfect!

Here's a photo gallery and map of the course. WARNING: Middle aged hippies in all their glory! Proceed with caution! http://mishalov.net/baybreakers04/
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

mjkoehler

I would love to run in this race.

pawpaw

QuoteI would love to run in this race.

I legitimately ran it once, and drank my way across the city a couple other times...it's been a couple years, and this may be my last one for a while, so I'm pretty excited!

mjkoehler

This would be so kick ass. I wish they did something like that here. We just get serious races.

ycartrob

I wonder if I'll ever reach a point in my life where I'd go naked in public like that. Haven't reached it yet, but there's still time.

pawpaw

ms. yvon

love the box o' doughnuts!

how'd you hold up bbill?
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

TheBigChicken

those are great bill :D ;D :)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

primushead

That looks like fun.  How many people participate?  Is it like a couple thousand-ish, or way more?

pawpaw

Quotelove the box o' doughnuts!

how'd you hold up bbill?

WELL, we didn't spend a ton of time out there this year, only made it to the park before we turned around to go home and continue packing. I didn't run or drink this year, just jumped into the flow of drunks with a cup of coffee and observed...which is still a load of fun! So...I held up pretty well!

Oh, and Gregg, there were an estimated 60,000 people that turned out.

Seriously, if you've ever wanted to visit SF, come out some year on the 3rd weekend in May for one of the best parties around. Any event that you see dozens of fully stocked bars on wheels getting pushed/pulled across the city is an event that I want to be a part of  ;D