Summer in the city...New York!!!

Started by Elizanne33, Jun 05, 2008, 11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elizanne33

I am really looking forward to being in New York very soon! I've been once before, but only for a couple days. This time I will be in the city for a whole week leading up to MMJ at Radio City.

So here are a few things I'll be doing:

I'm sure I'll be doing many of the typical tourist things, Empire state building, Statue of Liberty and Metropolitan museum.

Seeing my first ever Broadway show (Curtains). Last time my theater going experience consisted of Undercover Brother at the Loews cinemas. Not exactly the sophisticated city experience I was hoping for.

Attending a taping of The Daily Show, just got an email reminder today.

Catching a Yankees game.

Saving the best for last, seeing MMJ at Radio City!!! ;D :D ;D

I thought I would ask anyone going to the show to share your city plans, as well as ask for any suggestions about sights to see, places to get some good food, great museum exhibits. Maybe some of the sights of the beaten path.

tbw

You can't really go wrong with Pizza, Bagels (Houston and Orchard St. area), Pizza, falafels, Pizza, and more pizza. Max Fish on Ludlow use to be fun but that was years ago...

The Met is good. oh and also MOMA and if you want some great pictures of Lady Liberty and lower Manhattan do the Staten Island Ferry...cheap ride, great view (it use to be a quarter but I think it is free now). Since you will be there on the 15th check out that thing where you can see people in London "via a large telescope" :D That looks super cool and I hope they extend the exhibit so I can see it too. I think it is located near the Brooklyn Bridge? Also always a good time walking around both villages for people watching, chelsea flea market on the weekend, 6th street for Indian food...hmm so much more...take the subway, even if you have no destination in mind.

Thanks for the reminder on the daily show, I was trying to think of others that are filmed there besides DL.

MAYBE THEPENNYLANENYC can give you more details on "cool"/native things to do....?

Penny Lane

it sounds like you are doing more than most people who live here have ever done! ha ha...on your way down to the statue of liberty, there is a bull statue on Broadway (my office is right in front) make sure to touch the bull's balls for good luck. if you're down in the village--make sure to go to tiny place called the Bitter End (where bob dylan got his start) on bleeker street-- just stay for one drink or so, also in one 2 hour span, you can see wall street, fulton street and the southstreet seaport area, and get a great view of the brooklyn bridge; then head to china town and little italy. make sure not to get tripped up eating in little italy at the tourist traps, the great italian restaurants are all off the beaten paths; you really can't go wrong in anything you do. if you go to MSG/Herald Square/33rd/34th street --there is great shopping and every kind of store. don't waste your time shopping on 5th avenue (tiffany's, etc) cuz it's too $$; make sure to walk thru Central Park up with west side so you can see strawberry fields (not much there but there are always a few people paying tribute) and the dakota bld across the street--and if you walk 10 more min and a few blocks north, you'll be at the museum of nat'l history, which is HUGE. i'll PM you my number and if you're downtown (wall street, statue of liberty area) during the day, i can sneak out of work and meet you for a few min! hopefully you'll have great weather that week. sounds like you pretty much have everything control. if you feel like really seeing something different, take the path train (underwater train) to hoboken (it's about 5-7 min) and you'll come out and see the best view of manhattan anywhere and both hoboken, NJ and williamsburg-brooklyn have great bars, etc for something different.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

QuoteYou can't really go wrong with Pizza, Bagels (Houston and Orchard St. area), Pizza, falafels, Pizza, and more pizza. Max Fish on Ludlow use to be fun but that was years ago...

The Met is good. oh and also MOMA and if you want some great pictures of Lady Liberty and lower Manhattan do the Staten Island Ferry...cheap ride, great view (it use to be a quarter but I think it is free now). Since you will be there on the 15th check out that thing where you can see people in London "via a large telescope" :D That looks super cool and I hope they extend the exhibit so I can see it too. I think it is located near the Brooklyn Bridge? Also always a good time walking around both villages for people watching, chelsea flea market on the weekend, 6th street for Indian food...hmm so much more...take the subway, even if you have no destination in mind.

Thanks for the reminder on the daily show, I was trying to think of others that are filmed there besides DL.

MAYBE THEPENNYLANENYC can give you more details on "cool"/native things to do....?

oh yeah! the telescope--my friend just saw it the other day and said it was really cool. i didn't know anything about it!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Elizanne33

Thanks for all the info! I will have to check out the "telescope" for sure. I just saw something on the news about it recently. I was hoping I would get to see the waterfalls too, but I think that will start after I leave.