Occupations?

Started by Bigsky, Jun 18, 2008, 09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEO

QuoteSchool teacher--6th grade science and social studies.  Love it!  I bring in music (my music, not Jonas Bros. or Hannah Montana) for the kids every once in a while--they need education outside of the academic realm, anyway.  I've gotten a few to buy into the Jacket, but i've only taught four years...there's still time.

Contrary to most public opinion it is a really great age. I like to let GD roll in the background sometimes and they do not even know what they are listening to but most of them like it.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

mjkoehler

QuoteSupply Chain/Business Analyst for a very large petfood company located in a central town that also has a very identifiable beer company and a silver half hoop looking think sticking up out of the ground like a handle on the riverfront.  :P

That is my favourite monument you know.......
I see it everyday. I love that everytime I drive by it I sing Deep River like Clark Griswald then tell the kids to Roll 'Em Up. I just get blank stares from the back seat. I love that they light it up at night now.
They treated me like a dog Mr.Wally ;D ;D
;D

mjkoehler

QuoteSupply Chain/Business Analyst for a very large petfood company located in a central town that also has a very identifiable beer company and a silver half hoop looking think sticking up out of the ground like a handle on the riverfront.  :P

That is my favourite monument you know.......
I see it everyday. I love that everytime I drive by it I sing Deep River like Clark Griswald then tell the kids to Roll 'Em Up. I just get blank stares from the back seat. I love that they light it up at night now.
They treated me like a dog Mr.Wally ;D ;D

I'm going steady..AND i french kiss..my daddy says i'm the best at it.
You ever bop your baloney ::)

Clarkwork

I own an insurance agency...
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Angry Ewok

QuoteSerigraph Artist & Printer at a local publishing company owned by a sports artist. He makes a big oil painting of Tiger Woods, then it's my job to reproduce the oil painting into a silk screened format.

I also frame all of the artwork. I am the shipping department. I am the webmaster. I am the receptionist. I am the cleaning lady. I do everything at my office when I'm not in the studio.

When I get off work, I get straight to work on my own art. For the first time ever, I'm making more money off of freelance art and design than I do at my full time job. That's a great feeling, but also bittersweet as it is very obvious I need to find a better job somewhere.

Where can we go to look at your work?  Website, maybe?

Yeah, there are two of them in my signature... The studio website is a WIP, but it will carry more of my design portfolio while the other is going to be more like a sketchbook.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

ratchetisfake

QuoteMSW's unite! I am currently working on my LCSW (licensure for clinical social work) as a therapist in a residential program for homeless addicts.
ah, thats my future goal, but ultimately i want my phd.
its tough, i know it will pay off in the end. i just gotta keep my "blinders" on.
who fanned the fire that burned down the lake?

Penny Lane

QuoteMSW's unite! I am currently working on my LCSW (licensure for clinical social work) as a therapist in a residential program for homeless addicts.
ah, thats my future goal, but ultimately i want my phd.
its tough, i know it will pay off in the end. i just gotta keep my "blinders" on.

i worked for the salvo army for 5 years and got burnt out pretty fast--i think it all depends on what population you want to work with. i did inner city youth and then moved to vegas and worked w/homeless veterans for 2 years. once i moved to NYC, i just decided i'd seen too much maybe---then law school was a natural progression to do civil rights or constitutional law. we'll see what happens. it makes for an interesting life and career! good luck to both of you!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

MMJ_fanatic

I make drugs for the 2nd or 3rd (can't keep up with the rankings) largest pharma company in the world.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

mjkoehler

QuoteI make drugs for the 2nd or 3rd (can't keep up with the rankings) largest pharma company in the world.
'Ludes?  :D

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteI make drugs for the 2nd or 3rd (can't keep up with the rankings) largest pharma company in the world.
'Ludes?  :D

HEHE you wish [smiley=evil.gif]
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

ycartrob

it makes for an interesting life and career! good luck to both of you!

you got that right; the things you see and hear... you couldn't make this stuff up.

And not even from the clients. We had a youth group volunteer yesterday to help with some clean up/organizing of a shed on site, and after about 30 minutes, the youth group's adult chaperones told the volunteer coordinator that they all prayed about it, and they felt God did not want them to stay and finish the project, so they packed up in their van and left.  ;D

unreal

ratchetisfake

it makes for an interesting life and career! good luck to both of you!

you got that right; the things you see and hear... you couldn't make this stuff up.

And not even from the clients. We had a youth group volunteer yesterday to help with some clean up/organizing of a shed on site, and after about 30 minutes, the youth group's adult chaperones told the volunteer coordinator that they all prayed about it, and they felt God did not want them to stay and finish the project, so they packed up in their van and left.  ;D

unreal

wow. thats profound. i have learned to just roll with the tides, man. if you dont, you will just end up hating your job and society, and what good is that?
who fanned the fire that burned down the lake?

wharf rat

QuoteGeographer also, specializing in creating Geographic Information Systems (GIS).  
Kory, my fellow geographer, what kind of work do you do in the field?

Ha! As you can understand, I usually don't mention GIS when telling someone what I do. It's a bit hard to explain.
We implement GIS for municipalities as well as full service GIS work involving anything someone will pay us for. A lot of stormwater mapping, wastewater mapping as well as stream restoration and various other odds and ins.
I work in the Louisville, KY area for what was a local Engineering firm that was recently acquired by an international company called Stantec out of Canada. Where do you work wharf?

Yep, I usually get a bunch of head nodding and blank stares when I launch into an explanation of what I do.  Been in the field 12 years now and my mom still thinks I "do GSI".  I was actually thinking you might be a GIS'er when you left such a short description on your post.
I used to work for a local firm when I lived in Wilmington, NC that did nothing but property parcel conversion taking hard copy tax maps and converting to GIS.  Have been in Athens, OH for the last 9 years working for a non-profit, grant/word of mouth contract funded entity that is part of Ohio University's School of Arts/Sciences.  We run the gamut, much like you, but have been heavy in hosting ArcIMS sites the last several years for local watershed groups, municipalities, etc.  
We've recently received some funds to do some raster modeling, which is a nice change, since most of our work and data is vector-based.  

fkinbs

I'm an audio engineer.  I remaster audiobooks at the moment for a proprietary company with a new medium called Playaway.  

This is a good step along the way to becoming a full-on recording engineer.  That and being a singer/songwriter/musician will hopefully lead me into what I want to do.  Which is try to take over the world.
but talk is often cheap and filled with air

fkinbs

Quoteyou got that right; the things you see and hear... you couldn't make this stuff up.

unreal

That is just awesome.  The work should be worth it if nothing else than for the stories.

My brother is a civil rights attorney in Texas.  I am well versed in the world of social work/civil rights/etc.  Which is why I chose music, social work just isn't for me.
but talk is often cheap and filled with air

getinthevan

I'm a class away from having an Associate's degree in Media Technology with focus in Audio.  I'd like to do either front of house sound or studio work as a recording engineer.  Heading to Nashville at the end of the year to go to SAE (audio recording school) to learn new things and make contacts so I can hopefully find work.

For the last couple years I've been loading trucks 5 nights a week at FedEx Ground in Lansing, MI.  It's a steady paycheck and some nights I think I even like doing it.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

bluesky

Great to hear what everyone is doing....I have only posted once before but read the form about everyother day ..when I can....I'm a gardener, 11 years now....I do rooftop work in NYC...hope someday to do an AMAZING garden for the MMJ guys!!! BIG dreams!!!

status_serigraph

Graphic Designer for a top 25 concert promoter and a gigposter artist. :D
[url="http://www.statusserigraph.com"]http://www.statusserigraph.com[/url]
[url="http://www.myspace.com/status_serigraph"]http://www.myspace.com/status_serigraph[/url]

My Morning Coffee

Web Developer/Designer in NY...
~ I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong ~

Penny Lane

QuoteGreat to hear what everyone is doing....I have only posted once before but read the form about everyother day ..when I can....I'm a gardener, 11 years now....I do rooftop work in NYC...hope someday to do an AMAZING garden for the MMJ guys!!! BIG dreams!!!

wow ! that is so cool!! i want to see some of your work. do you have anything downtown?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill