My Morning Jacket; In To The Woods

Started by Bigsky, Jun 04, 2008, 12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigsky

I was wondering if anyone thinks there needs to be a book writen about MMJ. I know they are still young in their history as a band (and maybe it's too soon for a book), but I know I would read it. I just think it would be a great story, and inside look on the boys.

Possible title- My Morning Jacket; In To The Woods

Angry Ewok

Jim wrote some pretty freakin' weird fiction, back in the day. I think he ought to get back into that.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Bigsky

QuoteJim wrote some pretty freakin' weird fiction, back in the day. I think he ought to get back into that.

It would be great to read some of it, but I'm thinking an outsider would write a better story about MMJ.

Love Dogg

Possible title- My Morning Jacket; In To The Woods

Or a biography of Jim entitled, "The Way That He Sings."  Which, in my opinion is an autopbiography anyway.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Love Dogg

"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

tbw

That is perfect!

Isn't it? How 'bout I post a page a day or night? Like a bedtime story?....the book is quite amusing...I just had to read it already.

Bigsky

That is perfect!
That is perfect...and I could see that being JJ on the cover as a boy, acting all silly in front of the mirror ;D

tbw

Angry Ewok

I hope this book ends with him learning to play the guitar.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

tbw

Angry Ewok, the book just may end with a guitar...? you will have to be patient though. I promise I won't post the entire book...

tomEisenbraun

In all honesty, I don't know if that'd be the best thing.

One of the hardest things for a band to keep up is its mystique, and a book that delves into a band's past, gear, song influences sort of tears that open longways and tries to make logical sense of everything. I think that's what's appealing about a new band with a beautiful sound, or people who've eluded being pinned down-- stuff like Fleet Foxes or Bonnie "Prince" Billy or Iron and Wine's first album.

Actually, I've got an idea that I'll continue in the Frank O'Hara thread if anybody'll read the damn thing.

But about the book--I think it'd be cool to know everything that went behind all the music, but I don't know if that'd enhance the music, or spoil the magic. The thrill of songs like "They Ran" or "Butch Cassidy" is the haunting loneliness in each of them is fueled by the ability to relate to it, doing so from a position of ingorance of anything except that song's emotive qualities inside yourself. When you start to append it with things like "I wrote it after watching butch cassidy and the sundance kid and realizing how nobody liked him, and i felt like I was in his shoes and wanted to just be the third man in his team" it's really kind of redundant. We don't necessarily need that laid out for us, and it's sort of a part of the song whether we've been looking for it or not. The point of "Butch Cassidy" isn't what Jim was thinking, it's how we resonated wih what he communicated. Art outlasts its creator, and there will be a point where Jim's not around to explain himself, but that music will have its power over people who've heard a word out of him. That first floored listen is impossible to recreate or to sustain, but the mystique may stay if you preserve it.

I've ruined bands before by digging too deeply into their catalogs, trying to find out too much about their lives, or worse, getting involved in reading about the creative processes behind their music--and it almost always ends up spoiling the beauty of the finished product. I love demos and b-sides, don't get me wrong, but there's something about them that gets addictive, until you want to be there at that moment of creative inception and it's never available. Maybe once in a lifetime will you get to experience that in person, but for the most part, it won't happen, and we'll never be able to get a "more raw" version of the song. I think the need for that comes from stripping away and digging away at the music trying to find the soul inside of it, but by shedding it back so far, we lose an essence of it that's irreclaimable.

I don't know that I'm making sense, but I do hope I've conveyed my thoughts so that you can pick up on what I'm getting at.

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

BH

QuoteAngry Ewok, the book just may end with a guitar...? you will have to be patient though. I promise I won't post the entire book...

Hey, don't leave me hangin'! Does he find something fun to do?  Does it stop raining?  Seriously, come on.  Next page.  I'm not ready for bed yet.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

tbw

QuoteAngry Ewok, the book just may end with a guitar...? you will have to be patient though. I promise I won't post the entire book...

Hey, don't leave me hangin'! Does he find something fun to do?  Does it stop raining?  Seriously, come on.  Next page.  I'm not ready for bed yet.

HA HA ok...next page to follow soon...i didn't want anyone to get bored...but since you asked I will continue with the story.

BH

Are you kiddin?  I'm looking for that book on eBay as we speak.  I love reading to my kids, and what better way to keep dad interested right? :)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

tbw

Bigsky

Slow down...one page per day would be nice...maybe?

"Jim Jimmy James spun so fast he got dizzy and fell down"

BH

buymycar

QuoteSlow down...one page per day would be nice...maybe?

"Jim Jimmy James spun so fast he got dizzy and fell down"

The first page was on the 6th.

Today's the 9th.

One for each day, 7th, 8th, 9th = 3