Started by rccola71, Jun 06, 2008, 05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBigChicken

Pizza.....Mitchelli's-Seattle-Margahrita Pie  thin crust tamatos on top
burger and fries....the Grill-Athens,Ga---fries are best with feta sauce
burritos-some small joint in the Haight district in San Fran
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

primushead

Angelica's Vegetarian Restaraunt - Boone, N.C.  TEMPEH!!!!!

Allen and Son BBQ - Chapel Hill, N.C.  BBQ SANDWICHES!!!!!!!!

The Channel Marker - Morehead City, N.C. BEST SEAFOOD EVER!!!!!!!

Angry Ewok

For any of you coming to Tuscaloosa, Alabama...

3. Dreamland
Back in the 90's, this barbecue was a gift from the heavens. It isn't the same, anymore, but you can still get a good rack of ribs on occasion.

2. Bottom Feeders
Excellent fried catfish, and absolutely amazing smoked, grilled chicken. Grab a plate of fries, a couple of hushpuppies, some cole slaw, and some bread... Mmm.

1. Ramma-Jamma's
Literally lies in the shadows of Bryant-Denny stadium. Order a milkshake and the world renown 12" National Championships Hotdog. The owner looks like a Nick Saban body double, too.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

capt. scotty

QuoteFor any of you coming to Tuscaloosa, Alabama...

3. Dreamland
Back in the 90's, this barbecue was a gift from the heavens. It isn't the same, anymore, but you can still get a good rack of ribs on occasion.

2. Bottom Feeders
Excellent fried catfish, and absolutely amazing smoked, grilled chicken. Grab a plate of fries, a couple of hushpuppies, some cole slaw, and some bread... Mmm.

1. Ramma-Jamma's
Literally lies in the shadows of Bryant-Denny stadium. Order a milkshake and the world renown 12" National Championships Hotdog. The owner looks like a Nick Saban body double, too.

U go to Bama Ewok?? In a frat or anything? Just wondering bc I have a buddy who just graduated (I know, big ass school)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mjkoehler

I'll stick with local. I could list a few place around the country but nah.

3. Pho Grand- Vietnamese heaven in St Louis. The Bo Luc Lac, the Coconut Currey Chicken, the Ginger Chicken, Chicken with Chilis and Lemon Grass, the steamed Summer Rolls, the Pork filled Rice Crepe dishes, and the uber strong coffee with condensed milk. (K we are hitting this place) http://www.phogrand.com/flash.html

2. Ted Drewes. This place is so good, Dairy Queen stole the idea for the Blizzard from here. No lie. http://www.teddrewes.com/Drewes.asp

1. Modesto- Best Tapas restaurant I've ever been to. Easiest place me to drop a $100...and I'll be doing that tomorrow night. http://www.saucemagazine.com/modesto/

EDIT- How the fuck could I forget Steak & Shake. For those of you that do not have one in your area, I'm sorry.

TheBigChicken

Local...I like that....Local...
Coney Island -9th St/4th Ave  St Pete....old school hard to find chili burgers and chili dogs.....if your going to a Rays game, I'll PM you directions ;)
Harvey's 4th Street Grill.....WOW lasagna......St. Pete as well ;)

ManNamedTruth

The Original Hot Dog Shop, AKA The O - Pittsburgh PA (Oakland)
amazing fries piled very high, very good hot dogs with a wide variety of toppings. I had a hot dog parmesan last time
http://www.hollyeats.com/OriginalHotDog.htm
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

TheBigChicken

QuoteThe Original Hot Dog Shop, AKA The O - Pittsburgh PA (Oakland)
amazing fries piled very high, very good hot dogs with a wide variety of toppings. I had a hot dog parmesan last time
Damn that bad boy stays open LATE

Angry Ewok

QuoteU go to Bama Ewok?? In a frat or anything? Just wondering bc I have a buddy who just graduated (I know, big ass school)

I'm not in a frat - never really considered myself frat material. I just got out of college, but I'll probably go back and transfer all of those extra credits towards something at Alabama. If your buddy was raised up here in Tuscaloosa, there's a good chance I know him or know of him.

Another few places I like to eat,

FULL MOON BARBECUE. Excellent BBQ sandwiches. About a dozen flat screen TV's with sports channels on every one. And the entire place is decked out with Crimson Tide paraphernalia.

Wings. The honey barbecue wings here are awesome, but my favorite is the side order of fries with melted cheese and bacon bits. Talk about awesome. Place is owned by Bob Baumhower, former Crimson Tide All-American.

Taco Casa. Mexican place, fast food gear, but owned by a former field goal kicker for Coach Bryant. The tacos come in two totally randomized variants - crunchy or soggy with juice. I like the soggy ones, but whatever.

15th Street Diner. Good place to sit down and talk over lunch. I always order the cup of vegetable beef soup with a side order of either the salad or banana pudding.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Jon T.

QuoteU go to Bama Ewok?? In a frat or anything? Just wondering bc I have a buddy who just graduated (I know, big ass school)

I'm not in a frat - never really considered myself frat material. I just got out of college, but I'll probably go back and transfer all of those extra credits towards something at Alabama. If your buddy was raised up here in Tuscaloosa, there's a good chance I know him or know of him.

Another few places I like to eat,

FULL MOON BARBECUE. Excellent BBQ sandwiches. About a dozen flat screen TV's with sports channels on every one. And the entire place is decked out with Crimson Tide paraphernalia.

Wings. The honey barbecue wings here are awesome, but my favorite is the side order of fries with melted cheese and bacon bits. Talk about awesome. Place is owned by Bob Baumhower, former Crimson Tide All-American.

Taco Casa. Mexican place, fast food gear, but owned by a former field goal kicker for Coach Bryant. The tacos come in two totally randomized variants - crunchy or soggy with juice. I like the soggy ones, but whatever.

15th Street Diner. Good place to sit down and talk over lunch. I always order the cup of vegetable beef soup with a side order of either the salad or banana pudding.

What? No mention of Archibalds?

ManNamedTruth

QuoteThe Original Hot Dog Shop, AKA The O - Pittsburgh PA (Oakland)

It's close to Pitt so lots of college students/drunk people.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

thatswhatshesaid

the magic mushroom - asheville, nc
jack of the woods - asheville, nc (awesome fish tacos)
miguel's - natural bridge, ky
charlie brown's - lexington, ky
the pancake pantry - gatlinburg, tn
the bubble room - captiva island, fl
la finca - morehead, ky

anywhere with fresh seafood

the_wizzard

QuoteI'll stick with local. I could list a few place around the country but nah.

3. Pho Grand- Vietnamese heaven in St Louis. The Bo Luc Lac, the Coconut Currey Chicken, the Ginger Chicken, Chicken with Chilis and Lemon Grass, the steamed Summer Rolls, the Pork filled Rice Crepe dishes, and the uber strong coffee with condensed milk. (K we are hitting this place) http://www.phogrand.com/flash.html

2. Ted Drewes. This place is so good, Dairy Queen stole the idea for the Blizzard from here. No lie. http://www.teddrewes.com/Drewes.asp

1. Modesto- Best Tapas restaurant I've ever been to. Easiest place me to drop a $100...and I'll be doing that tomorrow night. http://www.saucemagazine.com/modesto/

EDIT- How the fuck could I forget Steak & Shake. For those of you that do not have one in your area, I'm sorry.

Holy shit, my husband would not stop talking about Ted Drewes while we were in St. Louis last weekend.  Unfortunately, we did not get to go.  But we did get to go to Mr. Wizard's (home of "The Wizard")!

but I hear ole' Ted Drewes is legendary.  My father-in-law was telling us of a time that he was there.  Lines way out the door (i guess that is business as usual).  Up pulls a fire truck and it goes to the back of the place to put out a kitchen fire.  Not one person stepped out of line (fire? who the hell cares, I am in line for Ted Drewes!).  I guess the staff didn't miss a beat either, serving up fine ice cream for the masses.  Next time we are in St. Louis, I tell ya' what...we are skipping dinner and heading straight to Ted's.

the_wizzard

Oh...and my favorite restaurant of all times....

Pandamonium (Florence, Italy).  Mama and her sons cook up the best homemade Tuscan food.  And she is the best damn host of all times (we got hugs and kisses upon leaving...she really liked my husband & i).  We were so full after our meal and she insisted on giving us dessert (the most sublime cheesecake ever) and some lemoncello to make us giggle on our walk back to the hotel.  If anyone here is ever going to Florence, pm me and I will give you the address.  Bonus points for a place called Hemingway's just down the street.  A chocolate/coffee house that floored my ass (and perhaps made it grow a size or 2  ;))

mjkoehler

Quotebut I hear ole' Ted Drewes is legendary.  My father-in-law was telling us of a time that he was there.  Lines way out the door (i guess that is business as usual).  Up pulls a fire truck and it goes to the back of the place to put out a kitchen fire.  Not one person stepped out of line (fire? who the hell cares, I am in line for Ted Drewes!).  I guess the staff didn't miss a beat either, serving up fine ice cream for the masses.  Next time we are in St. Louis, I tell ya' what...we are skipping dinner and heading straight to Ted's.
tis the season for Ted's. Lines can get pretty long there and yes, never get out of a Drewes line. Depending on the season, they have special concretes where they take a piece of pie and mix it in. Apple is my personal fav, but the blueberry is pretty f'n outstanding. Dammit, I need to live closer to the city, instead of out in the bonnies. I need a concrete.

sweatboard

The Concrete - At "Ted Drews" shall not be forgotten by this living fan.

also.....

Athens Ga - WEAVER D's, They serve the best version of my favorite meal of all time.....Fried Chicken, Macaronni and Cheese, and Red Kool Aid.

Check it out...   http://www.dixiedining.com/feature/feature_042002.htm

REM named one of their albums after them.  :)
There's Still Time.........

TheBigChicken

Dude use to stand in there and say "automatic" :)....another good place is the Plantation House......BBQ goat....yummmmmm

lessintent

OKAY so this is a chain restaurant but at Baja Fresh you can get a plate of rice and beans for like 2 bucks - can't be beat.

Also, in washing dc they have this thing called jumbo slice which is just the biggest piece of pizza you'll ever see.

Also, in New Brunswick NJ on the campus of Rutgers University they have these things called fat sandwiches - which are amazing.  They're like meat with mozz sticks and french fries piled on top - seriously you've got to try one.

pawpaw

Mmmmm...I can't believe I haven't found this thread until now. I kind of have a weakness for eating out. Some favorites:

Favorite Mexican: La Pinata, Alameda, CA. Mexican is my favorite kind of food, without a doubt. This place is unbelievably good, and open from 6AM-3AM...only closed 3 hours a day! Great bar, delicious food. (Runner Up - Tres Hermanas, Sacramento, CA)

Favorite Taco Truck: outside of Guadalajara Restaurant, Oakland, CA. I'm not sure how prevalent or dependable taco trucks are in your neck of the woods, but there are some awesome ones here in California. Cheap, quick and delicious. Best pastor tacos at this one...
(Runner Up - El Tonayense truck, SF, CA)

Favorite BBQ: House of Chicken & Ribs, Antelope, CA. I'm new to this one - it was recommended by a coworker after I moved a few months back. I know you boys and girls from the midwest and south think you've got it down, and you do, but we do alright out here too. I think I just convinced myself to drive out to Antelope for dinner.
(Runner Up - Everett & Jones, Oakland, CA)

Two Favorite Dining Experiences in Recent Memory: Good food is a major vice of mine. San Francisco is an unbelievable food town, and the restaurants are one of the things I miss the most. If you're ever there, and want an amazing meal, and don't mind spending some money, go to the Zuni Cafe. Everything about the place just celebrates that city...location on Upper Market, the interiors and artwork, the diverse crowd, the locally produced food and wine. All so good. Another great place is called Canteen. It's in an old hotel diner - the whole room seats about 20. The kitchen is a grill behind the counter so you get to see everything happen. The chef could run any kitchen in the city, but he's doing his own thing, on a smaller scale. Total kitchen and wait staff is probably about 5 or 6, menu is small, but outstanding. A really cool experience.

I could write and write about this. I really get a lot of enjoyment from food, and love long dinners with family and friends.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

MarkW

Food is one of my favourite things about travel:

Suda - Sukhumvit Soi 11, Bangkok, Thailand; authentic Thai, delicious and cheap.

Frida's - Antigua, Guatemala; fabulous Mexican specialities.  Cooold beer.

Chez Paul - Angouleme, France; stylish bistro for lunchtime cuisine.

Kylesku Hotel - Kylesku, Scotland; our friends run this, with great seafood from the loch  http://www.kyleskuhotel.co.uk/index.htm

Bar La Estrella, Seville, Spain - world-class tapas http://azahar-sevilla.com/sevilletapas/category/la-estrella/

La Farmacia (far+cia), Buenos Aires, Argentina - steaks to die for. Beautiful staff, lovely drinks.

There are loads of other places; normally family-run unremarkable restaurants in side streets.  A meal in a gem such as this can make an entire trip...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side