Burlington, Vermont

Started by IHL, Aug 02, 2008, 11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IHL

Probably my favourite town in the US (as a UK visitor).

Does anywhere come a close second! (cannot be your hometown).

Name it.

Killgies

Gatlinburg,TN

It's on the edge of Great Smoky Mountain National Park. I always enjoy going to there for a vacation.
"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

mjkoehler

Never been to Burlington.

I have a tie, San Francisco and New Orleans (pre Katrina)

Jaimoe

New York City. It's the only US city I'd contemplate living in besides Boston.

TheBigChicken

San Francisco...hands down ;)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

ItStillJaimoe

San Fran is on my future visit radar (not to be confused with "gaydar)." I do live in Toronto afterall.

pawpaw

QuoteProbably my favourite town in the US (as a UK visitor).

Does anywhere come a close second! (cannot be your hometown).

Name it.

Well, I've never been to Burlington, so I can't say what's better or worse. I've heard it's a cool place though, nice liberal college town, naturally beautiful area, good music scene. I'm going to remove cities from my choices, which leaves a list of Western college towns.

-Santa Cruz, CA
-Boulder, CO
-San Luis Obispo, CA
-Eugene, OR
-Fort Collins, CO

Take your pick...all of these are great towns.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

pawpaw

QuoteSan Fran is on my future visit radar (not to be confused with "gaydar)." I do live in Toronto afterall.

Dave Chappelle put it something like this..."People would ask me why I like San Francisco so much. They'd say 'Man, that place is gay.' I'd be like, it's not that gay, it's cool. Then I went to that Castro...that place is like America's anus!"

Yeah, it's gay. I'd see guys walking down the street on a weeknight wearing ass-less chaps if I left work late (of course, my office was only a block and a half from Folsom Street). It is an amazing place though, and definitely worth a visit...my favorite city.

ycartrob

I really love Boston; I really love San Francisco

I also really love Portland, Maine

red

New Orleans!  Boston and NYC were amazing, obviously.  Charleston was beautiful.

I hope to make it to San Francisco sometime and I really regret not going to Austin while I was in Texas.

Jaimoe

QuoteSan Fran is on my future visit radar (not to be confused with "gaydar)." I do live in Toronto afterall.

Dave Chappelle put it something like this..."People would ask me why I like San Francisco so much. They'd say 'Man, that place is gay.' I'd be like, it's not that gay, it's cool. Then I went to that Castro...that place is like America's anus!"

Yeah, it's gay. I'd see guys walking down the street on a weeknight wearing ass-less chaps if I left work late (of course, my office was only a block and a half from Folsom Street). It is an amazing place though, and definitely worth a visit...my favorite city.

Toronto ranks #2 in gay population and #1 as a gay-friendly city in North American and no one here gives a shit. Most are proud. (Mind you, Toronto is far bigger than San Fran). Hell, our Pride Day parade attracts a million people and our Caribana fest is even bigger. I remember being in the gay district of NYC a few years back and I couldn't tell; it's all very unobtrusive. It ain't here, "not that there's anything wrong with that."

pawpaw

Toronto ranks #2 in gay population and #1 as a gay-friendly city in North American and no one here gives a shit. Most are proud. (Mind you, Toronto is far bigger than San Fran). Hell, our Pride Day parade attracts a million people and our Caribana fest is even bigger. I remember being in the gay district of NYC a few years back and I couldn't tell; it's all very unobtrusive. It ain't here, "not that there's anything wrong with that."

Yeah, one of my friends from San Francisco, a gay guy, lived in Toronto for several years, and had told me that there was a huge gay community up there. I always really appreciated the gay community in San Francisco - another group with a proud and unique identity in an amazingly diverse collection of people.

Kenny76

I haven't been further west than Indianapolis or Nashville (whatever's more west) but Burlington, VT is my favorite city in the US as well.  I try to get up there once a year.  Best time to go is in the early fall.   I've never been up there in the winter, but I'm sure it's brutal (according to 100% of residents).

IHL

Having started this threat, I went to university in Arcata, Northern California for 2 years and that was AMAZING (coming from London).

Portland, OR, Northampton, MA and Portsmouth, NH also very cool.

Man, I could travel the States for a year...I hear Missoula, MT is the place...

Penny Lane

i agree-- MT/Idaho trip is at the top of my list

i've also heard really good things about Charlottesville
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Bigsky

QuoteHaving started this threat, I went to university in Arcata, Northern California for 2 years and that was AMAZING (coming from London).

I lived in Missoula for two years and I loved it...it's the capital of heaven.

pawpaw

QuoteHaving started this threat, I went to university in Arcata, Northern California for 2 years and that was AMAZING (coming from London).

Humboldt State? Did you ever get up to Prairie Creek? Down to the Lost Coast? That part of the state is awesome....decent herb too...so I've heard  ;)

ms. yvon

QuoteHaving started this thread, I went to university in Arcata, Northern California for 2 years and that was AMAZING (coming from London)...
me too!

it is fab.   :)  i lived up there for 7 years.  when were you there?
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

IHL

Think I finished at Humboldt State in '98.

Beautiful place. Travelled the length of the North Cal coast and then up the Oregon coast a couple of times.

There's a place near Arcata called Trinidad (pop. 330, I think). Really lovely in terms of scenery and natural beauty.

Some of the best times of my life...

crazylove

Asheville is up there for me.
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane