Rest In Peace Mr. Newman

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Sep 27, 2008, 11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26913988/?GT1=43001

Another great has left us.  I have so much respect for what this man did with his career and his company and all that he gave to charity. :'(
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

ycartrob

TheBigChicken

Good bye Fast Eddie :-[ One of the best ever.Period :'(
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

tenn

He was wonderful, we need more like him.

One for the ladies.

capt. scotty

Yep, major loss in Hollywood

I wouldve liked to have seen him do some more movies over the last 15 years, but he certainly had so many great ones early on

Whats everyone's favorite movie of his??

I honestly dont know if I could pick one, but itd probably either be The Hustler or Cool Hand Luke

Hell always live on with his 'Newman's Own' line though
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

EAZYE

"we gonna do some world shaking luke, we'll send you a postcard"

I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

bearass

oh shit that sucks  :'(

it's a tossup between butch cassidy and cool hand luke

TheBigChicken

The Drowning Pool...with a YOUNG Melanie Griffith :o :o :o :o
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

ItStillJaimoe

A classy man, a family man, devoted husband and his charitable work generated a QUARTER of a billion dollars, not to mention he's one of the finest actors of the last 60 years. Newman is one of my all-time favourite actors and reading this sad news has hurt me deeply. 83 is a good age to go out, but cancer isn't the way to do it. R.I.P. Fast Eddie, Reg Dunlop, Hud, Butch, Luke and many many more.

For all you non sports movie folks out there (but big Paul Newman fans) and non-hockey fans in particular, I urge you to check-out one of Newman's best films of the 1970's: Slap Shot. The film is a very realistic, gritty and outrageously funny look at minor-league pro hockey of the 70's; the dialogue and performances are spot-on, with Newman playing an over-the-hill player-coach for the Charlestown Chiefs with Strother Martin (Cool Hand Luke) as his GM.

Slap Shot was directed by George Roy Hill, who previously worked with Newman on Butch Cassidy and The Sting. Anyway, Slap Shot is one of the more underrated great movies of the 70's - and take that last statement from the late Gene Siskel's own mouth (with an agreement from Roger Ebert). As a side note: Slap Shot is revered in my hockey-mad country.

bearass

slap shot is amazing gotta give my love to the hanson bros though

ItStillJaimoe

Quoteslap shot is amazing gotta give my love to the hanson bros though

"Eddie Shore Old-time hockey."

I'd recommend for the non-core hockey fans to look-up some of the references from the film because they are some of the funniest lines. The idea that Strother Martin "knew Toe Blake" still make me howl because he doesn't elaborate, or can't. Eddie Shore was a hard-core old-shool player from the 20's and 30's.  

bearass

jaimoe have you ever seen the documentary about the chiefs hockey team i think its called The Chiefs. Its pretty funny and if you havent checked i out i strongly recommend

dragonboy

Very sad news to wake up to  :'(

RIP
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjkoehler

I'd recommend for the non-core hockey fans to look-up some of the references from the film because they are some of the funniest lines. The idea that Strother Martin "knew Toe Blake" still make me howl because he doesn't elaborate, or can't. Eddie Shore was a hard-core old-shool player from the 20's and 30's.  
Hey Hammerhand.....

Sad news.

ItStillJaimoe

Quotejaimoe have you ever seen the documentary about the chiefs hockey team i think its called The Chiefs. Its pretty funny and if you havent checked i out i strongly recommend

No I haven't. I just looked it up and it doesn't ring a bell. It looks like it's a doc on one of those goon-hockey fighting leagues like they have in Quebec. Am I close?

ItStillJaimoe

Hey Hammerhand.....

Sad news.

I like the reference, but the goalie that Dunlop was antagonizing was named Hanranan. I won't repeat what Dunlop said to him...

bearass

Quotejaimoe have you ever seen the documentary about the chiefs hockey team i think its called The Chiefs. Its pretty funny and if you havent checked i out i strongly recommend

No I haven't. I just looked it up and it doesn't ring a bell. It looks like it's a doc on one of those goon-hockey fighting leagues like they have in Quebec. Am I close?
yeah thats exactly what it is its like wwf on ice

ItStillJaimoe

I love "Old-time hockey", but I don't know if I want to watch this doc. I'm not a fan of pre-meditated hockey fights, but I do love spontaneous ones.

BTW, back to Mr. Newman. He was pretty darn convincing as a hockey player-coach in Slap Shot, which wasn't an easy physical role either since he had to learn to skate and he was pretty convincing in the game scenes. His character, Reg Dunlop, was sad and bitter, but he did have loyalty to his team and was likeable. What a film. It ranks in my Top 5 favourite Newman films: Hud, The Huster, Slap Shot, The Verdict and The Sting.

whyteand82nd

4 Fav. bands: My morning Jacket
The Shins
Modest Mouse
The Mars Volta

capt. scotty

I love "Old-time hockey", but I don't know if I want to watch this doc. I'm not a fan of pre-meditated hockey fights, but I do love spontaneous ones.

BTW, back to Mr. Newman. He was pretty darn convincing as a hockey player-coach in Slap Shot, which wasn't an easy physical role either since he had to learn to skate and he was pretty convincing in the game scenes. His character, Reg Dunlop, was sad and bitter, but he did have loyalty to his team and was likeable. What a film. It ranks in my Top 5 favourite Newman films: Hud, The Huster, Slap Shot, The Verdict and The Sting.

No Cool Hand Luke, Jaimoe?

I bet you cant eat 50 eggs  ;)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons