Rest In Peace Mr. Newman

Started by MMJ_fanatic, Sep 27, 2008, 11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItStillJaimoe

I got my list mixed up. Drop The Sting and add one Cool Hand to my Top 5.

capt. scotty

Ive wanted to see The Verdict for awhile too, but havent (actually, havent seen Butch and Sundance either)

What Ive gathered over the last day though, is while Verdict probably isnt his best movie, its very well might be his best acting performance.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ItStillJaimoe

QuoteIve wanted to see The Verdict for awhile too, but havent (actually, havent seen Butch and Sundance either)

What Ive gathered over the last day though, is while Verdict probably isnt his best movie, its very well might be his best acting performance.

But The Verdict is his best latter era movie and performance. It's an excellent film.

capt. scotty

Yeah, Im def going to netflix it

I think Hollywood missed out not casting him for more roles in the 90's and from then on.

I understand his cancer probably impacted this over the last few years, but he did have a significant role in Road to Perdition and that was only 5 years ago or so.

Thats what I really dont understand because outside of Brando, he couldve taken on roles no one else could but either didnt/wasnt offered

I remember this movie I saw not too long ago called 'Twilight' that he was in. I think it was an indie movie, but Hackman, Sarandon, James Garner, and even Reese Witherspoon were in it. It was very good, and I never wouldve seen it if I didnt run into it onto Showtime or something 1 night.

Same goes for a movie I saw with him probably not more than 2 months ago called 'Where the Money Is' where he plays an over-the-hill bank robber.

Twilight was better, but its almost like he was a forgetten man the last 20 years as far as acting goes, and thats a shame.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

capt. scotty

No doubt, DB

Cars is def one of my favorite animated movies of all time

Ratatouille was great as well

Theyve really stepped it up with creating animated movies that are more than entertaining to people with ages in double digits lately

ItStillJaimoe

I was underwhelmed with Cars given Pixar's track-record , but Newman's character was excellent. It's still a good movie though.

ItStillJaimoe

This is an interesting article from Sunday's Toronto Sun sports section. It's about Paul Newman's character Reggie Dunlop from Slap Shot. For any fans of the movie or to the curious, this piece sheds light on the history and accuracy of the film, including some of the characters involved and related hockey anecdotes from the time. BTW, the Hansons were good hockey players and current Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau was in the film. Good stuff:

Farewell, Reggie Dunlop

By MIKE ZEISBERGER, TORONTO SUN

While the rest of society knew you as Paul Newman, Academy Award-winning actor, auto racing aficionado and a guy who made one fine salad dressing, those of us who eat sleep and breathe this sport always will remember you as the coach of the Charlestown Chiefs in the cult flick Slap Shot, the greatest hockey movie ever made.

We won't forget how you placed a bounty on the head of noted Syracuse Bulldogs stick man Tim (Dr. Hook) McCracken, who, let's face it, had it coming to him.

We won't forget how you put your faith in three obscure kids, the Hanson brothers, who put on the foil and poured their blood for you -- when they weren't playing with their (bleepin') toys.

And we won't forget your dedication to Eddie Shore, old time hockey, and sucking back a few wobbly pops with the boys at the Aces.

GOON PLATOON

Oh sure, the critics will wail that your goon platoon portrayed hockey in a bad way. But ask people who were involved in the sport in the rough-and-tumble 1970s, and they will be quick to point out the movie was not far-fetched at all.

"It's sad news," Buffalo Sabres broadcaster Harry Neale said last night upon learning of Newman's -- make that Dunlop's -- passing Friday in Westport, Conn., at age 83.

"When the movie came out (in 1977), I was invited to the premiere in New York. Some of us got to go backstage and met him. I was always a big fan of his.

"As for the movie, that's the way the game was like back then, especially in the minors."

Neale would know.

As the coach of the World Hockey Association's Minnesota Fighting Saints in the mid-1970s, Neale remembers when a trio of brothers -- Steve, Jeff and Jack Carlson -- showed up at one of the team's tryout camps.

"They came in from northern Minnesota and terrorized the scrimmage," Neale said. "Not long afterward, we had an intrasquad game and one of them busted (Mike) Shaky Walton's nose."

Minnesota's farm team at the time was located in Johns-town, Pa., the gritty steel-mill town where the movie was shot.

"One time, Johnstown was in Utica and I was scouting the game," Neale said. "The three Carlsons were playing for us with Johnstown and climbed into the stands. I had to pay $200 to get them released from the police."

Just like a memorable scene in the movie.

Steve and Jeff Carlson would go on to play two of the Hanson Brothers in Slap Shot. The other brother was portrayed by minor leaguer Dave Hanson, a member of the Johnstown team who lived in a house there with then-teammates Paul Holmgren and Bruce Boudreau.

"I got called up just before they started shooting the movie, but a lot of my teammates got bit roles," Holmgren, now the general manager of the Philadelphia Flyers, said last night from Philadelphia.

"I'll tell you this: Paul Newman did a great job portraying the coach. The movie wasn't all that far off from reality.

"It's a cult film, a classic. My kids watch it all the time."

Reached by NHL.com yesterday, Steve Carlson admitted being "very saddened" at Newman's passing.

Said Carlson: "We weren't actors. We were hockey players and he took us under his wing and guided us to what we had to do ... He was one of the world's best actors but with us, he was just one of the boys."

In true Slap Shot manner, Carlson then offered up some good-natured smack.

"I made Newman what he is," Carlson said. "He was just a young pup trying to make his way in the movie business and we put him over the top."

In the coming days, there will be many tributes written about Paul Newman, a.k.a. Reg Dunlop.

Hopefully, following in the footsteps of Hall of Fame Charlestown sports writer Dickie Dunn, this one really "captured the spirit of the thing."

Rest in peace, Reg.

bearass

good read thanks for posting that

whyteand82nd

Salad dressing will never be the same :/
4 Fav. bands: My morning Jacket
The Shins
Modest Mouse
The Mars Volta

The Drake

Quotejaimoe have you ever seen the documentary about the chiefs hockey team i think its called The Chiefs. Its pretty funny and if you havent checked i out i strongly recommend

No I haven't. I just looked it up and it doesn't ring a bell. It looks like it's a doc on one of those goon-hockey fighting leagues like they have in Quebec. Am I close?
yeah thats exactly what it is its like wwf on ice

I love "Old-time hockey", but I don't know if I want to watch this doc. I'm not a fan of pre-meditated hockey fights, but I do love spontaneous ones.

BTW, back to Mr. Newman. He was pretty darn convincing as a hockey player-coach in Slap Shot, which wasn't an easy physical role either since he had to learn to skate and he was pretty convincing in the game scenes. His character, Reg Dunlop, was sad and bitter, but he did have loyalty to his team and was likeable. What a film. It ranks in my Top 5 favourite Newman films: Hud, The Huster, Slap Shot, The Verdict and The Sting.

No Cool Hand Luke, Jaimoe?

I bet you cant eat 50 eggs  ;)

Nobody can eat 50 eggs!

capt. scotty

QuoteSalad dressing will never be the same :/

you think his dressing is good, try his Pineapple Salsa

Best. Salsa. Ever.