THE CLEANER-airs tonight-shameless plug

Started by ms_yvon, Jul 15, 2008, 03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ms. yvon

hey kids!

i've been working on a new show. the pilot airs tonight on A&E. i didn't work on the pilot (just on the series), but i think it's very good! (i am a terrific tv snoot and don't often recommend programs)

it's a drama. (what?! drama on tv?! shocking!)

the cast is REALLY GOOD. benjamin bratt is the star.

here's what daily candy said today:

QuoteJuly 15, 2008
So Fresh and So Clean
The Cleaner!

Honest, genuine, friendly on the eyes, and always satisfying.

Sigh. Good TV is hard to find.

But great TV? That's a cinch now that A&E's The Cleaner is making its series debut tonight at 10 p.m.

Based on a true story, the profoundly moving show stars Benjamin Bratt (um, hello) as William "The Cleaner" Banks, a former heroin addict who makes a deal with God for a second chance. In exchange, Banks — along with his unconventional team — must help others kick their addictions.

The result: a refreshingly poignant and sincere show guaranteed to glue you to the tube — and affect you for a long time after (par for the course at A&E).

if this sounds like your speed, tune it. let me know if you think it's any good. (yahoo, and variety panned it by saying it was "not cheerful". what ass-hats. drug addiction should be cheerful? honestly.)

xo. ms. y

full disclosure: we have a push button grind and brew by the CUP coffee maker in the office. i don't look on it as payola. just good business.  ;)

"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

BH

I just saw an add for that the other day and thought it looked interesting.  Now I will definately give it a shot!  

Isn't "The Cleaner" what they called Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction?  Different kind of cleaner I guess. :)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

fitzcarraldo

E! I can't go anywhere around the city and subway system without seeing Benjamin Bratt's mug the last week or so. I' ll set the tivo.  :)  

Dave -   "That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten."    

Love Dogg

Isn't "The Cleaner" what they called Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction?  Different kind of cleaner I guess. :)

I thought they called him "The Wolf."
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

fitzcarraldo

QuoteIsn't "The Cleaner" what they called Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction?  Different kind of cleaner I guess. :)

Right... and Jean Reno in... something that's escaping me.

Either way, I thought that's what this show would be about when I first heard of it...  now I'm a bit disappointed, but like BB alright.

Leon  -  The Professional

vespachick

I saw an ad for this just last night.  Mr. Bratt looks, um, nice!! :-*
Will tune in!
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

BH

Ahh yes, The Wolf would be the name.

My favorite part of that whole scene is what I call the "coffee nod".

First there is this "back and forth" before the wolf arrives...

JULES
                        Goddamn Jimmie, this is some serious
                        gourmet shit. Me an' Vincent woulda
                        been satisfied with freeze-dried
                        Tasters Choice. You spring this
                        gourmet fuckin' shit on us. What
                        flavor is this?

JIMMIE
                        Knock it off, Julie.

JULES
                        What?

JIMMIE
                        I'm not a cobb or corn, so you can
                        stop butterin' me up. I don't need
                        you to tell me how good my coffee
                        is. I'm the one who buys it, I know
                        how fuckin' good it is.  When Bonnie
                        goes shoppin;, she buys shit.  I buy
                        the gourmet expensive stuff 'cause
                        when I drink it, I wanna taste it.

Then later, after The Wolf arrives, he asks for coffee, and after Jimmie brings it to him he takes a taste and gives Jimmie a little cup tip and nod of approval basically saying the same thing that Jules did without wasting words.  Hilarious.  Just a small little thing that makes Tarantino so great.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ms. yvon

QuoteIsn't "The Cleaner" what they called Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction?  Different kind of cleaner I guess. :)

Right... and Jean Reno in... something that's escaping me.

Either way, I thought that's what this show would be about when I first heard of it...  now I'm a bit disappointed, but like BB alright.
;D  yeah, there's not a lot of assassinating on the show.

not...yet!

no.  really.  nothing like that.

for the most part, the characters are complex, which makes watching and working on the show much more interesting for me.  i've worked on some corn-pie stuff, so it's nice to on a show with a little substance.
(i don't want to over sell this:  it's not the west wing or anything)

anyway:  thanks for the support kids!  murph:  great to hear it's getting some advertising out there!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

mjkoehler

QuoteAhh yes, The Wolf would be the name.

My favorite part of that whole scene is what I call the "coffee nod".

First there is this "back and forth" before the wolf arrives...

JULES
                        Goddamn Jimmie, this is some serious
                        gourmet shit. Me an' Vincent woulda
                        been satisfied with freeze-dried
                        Tasters Choice. You spring this
                        gourmet fuckin' shit on us. What
                        flavor is this?

JIMMIE
                        Knock it off, Julie.

JULES
                        What?

JIMMIE
                        I'm not a cobb or corn, so you can
                        stop butterin' me up. I don't need
                        you to tell me how good my coffee
                        is. I'm the one who buys it, I know
                        how fuckin' good it is.  When Bonnie
                        goes shoppin;, she buys shit.  I buy
                        the gourmet expensive stuff 'cause
                        when I drink it, I wanna taste it.

Then later, after The Wolf arrives, he asks for coffee, and after Jimmie brings it to him he takes a taste and gives Jimmie a little cup tip and nod of approval basically saying the same thing that Jules did without wasting words.  Hilarious.  Just a small little thing that makes Tarantino so great.
Yep. Little bits like this and the scene between Bruce and his Frenchy about pie and getting breakfast while he's sitting on the chopper covered in blood. It's the little things.....

I will try to check this out for Ms Y. I say something today about this show.

MMJ_fanatic

It was actually a Bridget Fonda movie called "No Way Out" (an American adaptation of "La Femme Nikita") in which Mr Keitel played a cleaner, complete with Hydrochloric Acid (the better to dissolve the body my dear...)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

tomEisenbraun

What do you mean when you say you've worked on it? Did you help script it, shoot it? Very interesting!
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

BH

I have the pilot recorded but I have not watched yet.  Maybe tonight....

ms. yvon

i work as an assistant editor.  in picture, not script, capacity.

the original pilot was edited by another team. after a show has been picked up for series by a network, the pilot is usually changed  a little:  we have to cut the show a little differently to get to a specific running time, or scenes are added to clarify story points.

so i did have some work to do on the pilot, but VERY LITTLE compared to the assistants assigned to that show and what we do on an episode we make soup to nuts.

the hours can be nuts, but i really like what i do.   :)

vespachick

Quotewe make soup to nuts.

I wish I knew what this meant. I mean, I'm old, I should know....but I don't.... :-[ :-[

ms. yvon

the phrase soup to nuts refers to an old fashioned multi course meal.

the first course being soup, the last nuts.

it went something like this:

soup
fish
entree
desert
cheese
nuts

(this is inaccurate, but you get the idea)

the phrase "from A to Z" is equivalent, but not nearly as fun to say.   [smiley=beer.gif]

ms. yvon

EPISODE TWO ON TONIGHT!

--surfer chicks!

--bad dudes!

--cool cars!

just a reminder to you tivo setters out there.   ;)

vespachick

Crap! I missed the show again!  I don't have tivo....

Ms Y, thanks for the lesson!!

Tacos in LA perhaps?  September pre-MMJ?  Villa Sombrero - they have a 3 margarita maximum for a reason.  (Though, really, I have had 4 at one sitting, or so they tell me!!) 8-) :o 8-) :o

TEO

QuoteEPISODE TWO ON TONIGHT!

--surfer chicks!

--bad dudes!

--cool cars!

just a reminder to you tivo setters out there.   ;)

Much, MUCH, better than the pilot! Probably because you were involved.  ;) :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

ms. yvon

thanks, teo!

the next three weeks are all shows i assisted on, too.  (it's been busy here.  whew.)

vespa-C:  perhaps some margaritas or sangria even!

ms. yvon

WEEK 3!

tonight is "Meet the Joneses."

if you see it you may see cool visual effect sequence that i built myself. took me ALL DAY to figure out how to do it. now, i'm an old hand at the technique!

good guest acting by Annabeth Gish and Tate Donovan.  [smiley=beer.gif]