How to Fake an Appreciation of Art

Started by ycartrob, Oct 29, 2008, 04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

How to Fake an Appreciation of Art

STEP 1
Decorate your home with original paintings. They don't have to be "good" (whatever that means) and best of all, they don't even have to be yours–many art galleries offer affordable rental options for their "retired" pieces. When you tell your guests that the paintings are original works from an art gallery, your fake appreciation will seem like a genuine, vested interest.

STEP 2
Pretend to attend art shows. If you have a Facebook account, you can RSVP your attendance to any number of local arts events. A notice will show up on your friends' Facebook pages that you attended the show–even if you didn't. If you don't have a Facebook account, leave flyers or newsletters promoting art shows scattered around your home or workspace.

STEP 3
Purchase inexpensive items branded with famous paintings. Whether it's key chain with "The Mona Lisa," stationary with "Starry Night" or a magnet featuring "The Last Supper", when people spot these items, they will associate you with fine art.

STEP 4
Donate money to a local art gallery. Art galleries recognize their donors in the annual review, on plaques and through other public displays. When people see that you support the arts, they'll assume that you must also appreciate them.

STEP 5
Survey artwork intently. If you're at an art show, give each piece careful consideration. If you furrow your brows as though you're deep in thought, you can fake an intense interest.

STEP 6
Make ambiguous statements with lots of conviction. If someone wants to engage in dialog about a certain piece, say something, like "Wow! Just wow!" which could mean you think the piece is anything from ridiculous to amazing.

Angry Ewok

I'm an artist, I'm good friends with a pretty serious art collector, and I work for an artist, so this thread is pretty funny to me on many levels.

Collectors are so much more interesting than the artists.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Penny Lane

i  had to go to a co-worker's art show a few weeks back---i was making those statements! ha ha  I don't know jack about art (nor do i care) i would take a framed MMJ poster and my lennon wall hanging i got on venice beach over a Picasso anyday. my co-worker had all this abstract crap and he wrote little explanations of it..(if you have to explain it, is it really art?)

remember the episode of it's always sunny in philadelphia when sweet D sees the poop everywhere at the art show? that's me---

although brad, i dug your stuff because it was MMJ related and i actually understood what it was. :D
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill