Debate Worthy?   Music and Human Evolution

Started by talleshortz, Jan 09, 2009, 09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Just thought I 'd post this article because of the frequency with which I see quotes on this forum of Jim referring to music as his medium for spirituality as well as being a vehicle for bringing people together.

This is a rather unique perspective of music and what intrigued me more than anything was its brief examination of the development of something that was not evolutionarily necessary but perhaps a byproduct.  Otherwise a rather crap article with unsupported presumptions and an anticlimactic conclusion.

Anyone?

http://www.economist.com/research/articlesBySubject/displaystory.cfm?subjectid=1426230&story_id=12795510
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

pawpaw

Some interesting ideas in there...thanks for posting that BDR. That first theory would COMPLETELY explain the release of Candles & Panties!  ;D

(The Economist rules.)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Ruckus

QuoteSome interesting ideas in there...thanks for posting that BDR. That first theory would COMPLETELY explain the release of Candles & Panties!  ;D

(The Economist rules.)

Thanks for taking the time to read it.  I figured this thread would just plummet to the bottom of the thread list as all mine do.

;D on the Candles and Panties although I think I misunderstood the reference. :-[

That section was, however, quite an unsubstantiated, myopic argument because while I was always sexually prolific 8-), I didn't go all Wilt Chamberlain on the ladies until after I quit playing music seriously. ;)

As for the article,  I felt the 2nd half was somewhat better.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

TEO

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

pawpaw

QuoteSome interesting ideas in there...thanks for posting that BDR. That first theory would COMPLETELY explain the release of Candles & Panties!  ;D

(The Economist rules.)

;D on the Candles and Panties although I think I misunderstood the reference. :-[

;D The theory was talking about the productivity of musicians coinciding with the rise and fall of their sex drive over their lifetime...with the upcoming release of the new EP, our boys, in their prime baby makin' years, are bustin' out with Candles and Panties!  ;D

Those are some interesting things to think about though: the reason humans created music, why some of us are drawn to it and others aren't.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."