Is there a chance you could meet MMJ?

Started by Im_The_Dude, Aug 30, 2008, 02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Im The Dude

I was wondering how easy it would be to meet them before or even after the show? Does any one have any stories on how the did meet them on this current tour?

thanks
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

Sassbox

I met them in Nashville before the show as a friend of mine had won a VIP package from a local radio station, so we had a photo op and some time to talk with them (my av is one of the pics...so hard to see!).  I had another friend at the same show who just walked up to Patrick before the show started and asked him to autograph a magazine.  They're very down to earth and just plain nice, which is really refreshing.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Jim charged me for an autograph...only 10 bucks so it was worth it.
God damn those shaky knees.

Im The Dude

Really? That seems lame to charge a fan?

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

RockNRollJunkie

I really wanted to meet them in ATL but my friends werent too keen on it. We had a long drive a head and they were grouchy
See mom, I have friends. I'm on a "forum".

j_rud

QuoteI really wanted to meet them in ATL but my friends werent too keen on it. We had a long drive a head and they were grouchy
How in the name of Fetus Rock can someone be grouchy after a Jacket show? I could see exhausted, spent, wired, fried, or incapacitated, but grouchy? Damn, someone missed the whole point.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

RockNRollJunkie

QuoteI really wanted to meet them in ATL but my friends werent too keen on it. We had a long drive a head and they were grouchy
How in the name of Fetus Rock can someone be grouchy after a Jacket show? I could see exhausted, spent, wired, fried, or incapacitated, but grouchy? Damn, someone missed the whole point.

I know, they were lame asses. One of my friends just sat there...my other friend got a little into it at times (loved Dondante's saz solo). The other part of the time she was talking to my other friend.  It really made me mad. Next time they come to ATL I'm going to find one of you guys to go to the concert with. Seriously I want to get into it with out getting weird looks and comments like "IS EVERY SONG YOUR FAVORITE SONG?"
psh yeah, it it.
See mom, I have friends. I'm on a "forum".

TGMC421

I know, they were lame asses. One of my friends just sat there...my other friend got a little into it at times (loved Dondante's saz solo). The other part of the time she was talking to my other friend.  It really made me mad. Next time they come to ATL I'm going to find one of you guys to go to the concert with. Seriously I want to get into it with out getting weird looks and comments like "IS EVERY SONG YOUR FAVORITE SONG?"
psh yeah, it it.

;D

Im The Dude

I'm going to see them in Detroit. Does anyone know if they've seen them walking around or talking to people in the line? Do they stick around at their tour bus after the show?

bully

living in louisville, i see patrick around when they aren't touring. i live in the same germantown area as he, and we both go to 'the outlook inn', a cool bar.  i used to see jim sometimes, particularly 'the monkey wrench' another cool bar which is a louisville cardinal fan bar - i saw him watching b ball more than once.

these guys are very laid back and while i'd never ask for an autograph for the simple fact that all my friends would call me an ass-loving star fucker, i'm sure any one of them would kindly sign one.  it's principle too.  i feel like they come home to relax - to take a break from being rock stars - so i do my part to let them do just that.
sincerely, my morning wood.

haggardphunk

in 2004 in milwaukee, if u bought a cd u got to meet the band.  i bought it still moves and got to meet them.  nothing cool happened and i wasnt a huge fan.  that show was the first MMJ i ever heard and i had no idea i would later become obsessed with them following Z

slimsloslider

i paid 50 bucks to join wxpn's mailing list and to become a member when jim did a solo show for the all-about-the-music-festival a few years ago. this would've given me access to a vip era where he was going to do a meet-and-greet after his set, but he had to catch a plane. i met carl at a gillian welch show in nashville last summer. i was  embarrassed because i was wearing a my morning jacket t-shirt. we talked for a while though. he was an incredibly nice guy. they had just played lollapalooza with the children's symphony and we talked about that. talked about favorite curtis mayfield songs, favorite venues in the states.

ycartrob

I recall a couple of years ago they'd come strolling through the venue before the show or be checking out the opening act; totally laid back, "normal people (IMO); very approachable and don't seem to be hung up in the whole rock star vibe.

hizzo

A couple guys I was standing next to at the Austin show said they got in line at 3 and someone let them in to listen to the sound check. It was just them and like 4 other people. They told me jim was asking for requests and such. Sounded awesome! Too bad I got there at 4:30  :( Oh well, maybe next time!
One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain.

Im The Dude

Thats awesome...anyone else have any stories?

MMJ_fanatic

I have a feeling it is going to be harder to speak with them as the venues grow.  I have met up with the guys multiple times back when they were playing smaller venues--even got to talk to Dr. Dog cats and M Ward on some of their co-tours.  I imagine the demands of the bigger shows will make it more taxing on them.  Don't be surprised if you run into them wandering the Bonnaroo grounds tho'!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

megalicious

QuoteThats awesome...anyone else have any stories?

the one time i met them, i gave them a pine-scented, bear-shaped air freshener for the tour bus. i think they liked it.  ;D

but really, they couldn't have been any nicer. you can tell their fans mean a lot to them.
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

Penny Lane

when i met him at bonnaroo--i asked to smell his beard...he seemed taken back but then he let me dive right in--mmmmmmmmmmm
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Cameron

saw them all at the wax fang sxsw show this year.  asked jim for a picture with him and thought he would be annoyed but he couldn't have been nicer.  talked for a minute or two about the new record and the show the night before.  i remember my knees shaking the rest of the night.