Penn. rocked by 'jailing kids for cash' scandal

Started by ycartrob, Feb 23, 2009, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

In case you don't have faith in our justice system (and pennsylvania isn't the only state where this happens):

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/02/23/pennsylvania.corrupt.judges/index.html

Ruckus

Makes me sick.  Glad they were exposed and the the family and child were willing to step forward.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

el_chode

PA has a weird political/judicial system. I worked in it for a bit.

PA is also why I am inherently disdainful of elected judges. At least with appointed ones their tenure is there, for better or worse (and worse, we can hope for impeachment or vote in better appointers).

A "hard on drunk driving" judge upheld DAI laws for a while, which were "Driving after Imbibing" meaning that if you had any drinks within 2 hours of driving, you could be hauled in regardless of BAC. This was very convenient when checkpoints weren't really netting that many criminals.

For what it's worth, my instinct always falls to defend. But this is why when I graduate I hope to avoid criminal law altogether. A lawyer whose blood curdles cannot put on the proper defense.
I'm surrounded by assholes

BH

That's dispicable.  

Tracy, can you throw in a puff piece or a feel good story every now an then to renew my faith in humanity?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ycartrob

QuoteThat's dispicable.  

Tracy, can you throw in a puff piece or a feel good story every now an then to renew my faith in humanity?

sure, here you go

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090219/ap_on_fe_st/odd_bullet_hair_weave;_ylt=Aoocdg0AdX9tt042VHGuy14DW7oF

capt. scotty

QuoteThat's dispicable.  

sure, here you go

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090219/ap_on_fe_st/odd_bullet_hair_weave;_ylt=Aoocdg0AdX9tt042VHGuy14DW7oF

Oh, jesus  ;D

Now you know fo sho that every sista is gonna get their weave on.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

BH

QuoteThat's dispicable.  

sure, here you go

;D   Uhh, yeah, that didn't help. ;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

MMJ_fanatic

I noticed the article conveniently leaves out political party affiliation--both Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan of PA's Luzerne County are [size=16]Democrats[/size].  I love how "news" outlets put "Republican" in huge font of headlines but completely omit "Democrat" from any naughty stories.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Ghosts_on_TV

that is from my city, wilkes-barre, pa. I work with a kid ciaverella put away for 6 months for having a bowl. He's suing the fuck out of him. I didn't know this was national news. Holy shit.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

The DARK

Sorry MMJ Fanatic, I know what you mean, but I don't see how that's important here...if I remember correctly, a lot of us here supported Ron Paul, and he was trying to be nominated for the Republican party ticket. We're not Rolling Stone; we don't demonize half the country. Scoundrels like these deserve no party affiliation.
In another time, in another place, in another face

ycartrob

QuoteI noticed the article conveniently leaves out political party affiliation--both Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan of PA's Luzerne County are [size=16]Democrats[/size].  I love how "news" outlets put "Republican" in huge font of headlines but completely omit "Democrat" from any naughty stories.

Ruckus

QuoteSorry MMJ Fanatic, I know what you mean, but I don't see how that's important here...if I remember correctly, a lot of us here supported Ron Paul, and he was trying to be nominated for the Republican party ticket. We're not Rolling Stone; we don't demonize half the country. Scoundrels like these deserve no party affiliation.
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]  Wisely put.  Is there a politics page where people can rehash old, beaten down statements?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head