Why I love Zappa

Started by rccola71, May 26, 2009, 12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Penny Lane

i love him, too. i can't view that at work, but every now and again i put on 'baby snakes'....frank was one unique human being
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

capt. scotty

That was awesome. Funny how music lyrics havent been an issue for awhile now but they talk about it like lyrics will lead to the demise of the youth.

For as much as that jerkoff Lofton got on him and yelled at him, Frank kept his cool pretty well and IMO made good point after good point.

"your band the mothers of the invention.."
"its mothers of invention, maybe you should get out more"

"why should i be smiling, im sitting next to you"

;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

dragonboy

That was excellent! Cheers for posting RC  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Vadie Stark

Male voice: Suzy?
Female voice: Yes?
Male voice: Suzy Creamcheese?
Female voice: Yes?
Male voice: This is the voice of your conscience baby ... uh, I just want to check one thing out with you ... you don't mind, do ya?
Female voice: What?
Male voice: Suzy Creamcheese, honey, what's got into ya?

The Freak Out! back cover. The small text reads: "These Mothers are crazy. You can tell by their clothes. One guy wears beads and they all smell bad. We were gonna get them for a dance after the basketball game but my best pal warned me you can never tell how many will show up...sometimes the guy in the fur coat doesn't show up and sometimes he does show up only he brings a big bunch of crazy people with him and they dance all over the place. None of the kids at my school like these Mothers...specially since my teacher told us what the words to their songs meant.
Sincerely forever,
Suzy Creamcheese
Salt Lake City, Utah."
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

pawpaw

"A mountain is something you don't wanna fuck with...
Don't fuck with Billy
..."

A friend of mine put this song on one time, late night, when we were driving home from a concert. I've never really gotten into Zappa, but I still remember this song, and it still makes me laugh.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Vadie Stark

MGM also told Zappa that the band would have to change their name, claiming that no DJ would play a record on the air by a group called "The Mothers."
"...at the time, it was, you know, if you were a good musician, you were a motherfucker, and Mothers was short for collection of motherfuckers. And actually, it was kind of presumptuous to name the band that, because we weren't that good musicians, we were . . . But by bar-band standards in the area, we were light-years ahead of our competition, but in terms of real musicianship, I just suppose we were right down there in the swamp." - Frank Zappa

Freak Out! was released with the band's name changed to The Mothers of Invention, a name Zappa chose in favor of MGM's original suggested name, "The Mothers Auxiliary."

Vadie Stark

joey_rogo

my roommate had that poster hung on our bathroom door...the outside of it, cause it would be too intimidating on the inside

Jaimoe

I love that Zappa hated Vanilla Fudge.

Here's a story that many US fans may not know: Zappa did a face-to-face interview with a famed Toronto Star writer back in the late 1970s from a hotel room (Zappa was in town during a tour). Note: the radio was on and music was playing. Just before Zappa was ready to answer some questions, a look of sheer "terror" passed over Frank's face. Zappa asked the writer "What iiiisssssss that?" The writer replied: "What are you talking about?" Zappa seemed deeply troubled by the music. The song was "Music Box Dancer", a sappy classical-music pop hit by Frank Mills.

Here's the song in question:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N_tmH6y7ng

Vadie Stark

Freak Out was the first Zappa I heard.
200 Motels is my favorite

capt. scotty

I bought the 200 Motels vinyl at a store I frequented in college for $2.

I dont have a record player though  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Vadie Stark

QuoteI bought the 200 Motels vinyl at a store I frequented in college for $2.

Send it to me  ::)  please  :)
btw turntables are available ;)

Vadie Stark

Well......... ::)

capt. scotty

Well......... ::)

maybe I can burn it for you?

ill try putting it in the oven later

Vadie Stark

Take it out of the oven I can't accept a burn I already own ;D
Just testing you ;)