Vancouver Olympics

Started by Jaimoe, Feb 05, 2010, 11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

You two are such little bitches ;D ;)  Go back to your Hockey thread.   ::)  

I watched the game!  It was a great game!  I just didn't race to the MMJ forum to talk about it.  Miller is my hero.  Rafalski is out of control.  Brodeur started terrible though he had some tough deflections and screens that got him good early.  That second goal was wide for sure gonna be wide til it hit him on the inside of his left.  Was totally blinded.  After the US took the 3-2 lead in the 3rd, I told my buddies that whoever scored the next goal would win.  Glad it was the US.

Anyways, Canada dominated play except for a small stretch late in the game.  However, the pressure on the Canadians was evident on the way they executed on good scoring chances and I feel for them to some extent.  Well since its hockey, perhaps the US can ride Miller to the promised land.

As for the ice dancing stuff, do you really think that NBC decides what channel to put it on by anything other than anticipated ratings.  People love that ice skating/dancing stuff.  Amazingly NBC chose an event that engages another gender that typically doesn't watch sports and knew would have higher ratings.

Have any of you guys heard anything about the ratings for the 2 events?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

.Walt

Did you just justify ice dancing over hockey? I take it you'll be watching Gilmore Girls tonight?  ;)
I know zero male figure skaters, and two female. Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding for off the ice activities.

I knew you were watching hockey, so I'm not surprised you'd post something. I was hoping that people who post in the soccer thread (yeah, I'm American) or a casual sports fan would find that game fun to watch, because you couldn't ask for a better game.

The way I see it, NBC shows NHL games, and if they plan on expanding their ratings all around they should've showcased that game. This wasn't just a normal game. It was a allstar game, but with way more on the line. Hockey as a sport needed it. NBC showed Russia vs Czech, so yeah I'm surprised they didn't show the US.  
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Ruckus

QuoteDid you just justify ice dancing over hockey? I take it you'll be watching Gilmore Girls tonight?  ;)
I know zero male figure skaters, and two female. Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding for off the ice activities.

I knew you were watching hockey, so I'm not surprised you'd post something. I was hoping that people who post in the soccer thread (yeah, I'm American) or a casual sports fan would find that game fun to watch, because you couldn't ask for a better game.

The way I see it, NBC shows NHL games, and if they plan on expanding their ratings all around they should've showcased that game. This wasn't just a normal game. It was a allstar game, but with way more on the line. Hockey as a sport needed it. NBC showed Russia vs Czech, so yeah I'm surprised they didn't show the US.  

While I don't enjoy figure skating or ice dancing, I feel as if I do know too much about it.   :-X
Anyways, every Olympics in this country (US), that is the ratings winner by far and away.  NBC pays $800 million for exclusive rights and I'm sure that the prime time advertisers were already lined up for figure skating.  I'm not sure that aloe products sell well to hockey fans.

I am pretty pumped for the quarterfinals.  Hopefully, I don't have to hear about the American respect card anymore.  Who cares?  Just go win and everything else will take care of itself.

What Ovechkin did to Jagr...... :o

Paulie_Walnuts

Ice dancing is not a sport. It should be made illegal.

With a prison sentence for any man that watches it or takes part.

Fines and suspended sentences for ladies.
Paulie W

st. john

QuoteIce dancing is not a sport. It should be made illegal.

With a prison sentence for any man that watches it or takes part.

Fines and suspended sentences for ladies.

;D ;D ;D

tho skating takes more stamina/fitness and puff power than any other sport.

Taterbug

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

capt. scotty

Thats what I was thinking. I understand that NBC doesnt have the control to have made the USA game played the the Russia game was (so it wouldve likely aired on NBC), but the game was such an enormous one, between the host country which borders ours, I wouldve expected it to be on NBC

Have any of you guys heard anything about the ratings for the 2 events?

Dont know about the ice fairies, but I heard on the radio today the USA-Canada game got 8 million viewers. Highest of any program on cable last week. If it was on NBC which reaches even more households, Im sure it wouldve been significantly higher.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

I can't even deal with how cute the Russian warmup clothes are.  I so want a jacket but I can't find them online anywhere   :'(
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Ruckus

QuoteI can't even deal with how cute the Russian warmup clothes are.  I so want a jacket but I can't find them online anywhere   :'(

Just put some blue tape on some of your Wisconsin gear ;)

ALady

;D  That's probably why I'm so attracted to it.  Reminds me of the motherland.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

.Walt

What about Mike Milbury's comment about the Russian's playing like Euro-trash? He's probably going to get a lot of heat for it, but whatever. I love it when commentators say what they think. The Russians did play a gutless/heartless game, and paid for it. Loved the Boyle move on Semin, even though I really like Semin. Good job Canada.

Again, I thought the USA didn't bring the pain against the Swiss. Lets get physical...physical!

Ruckus

QuoteWhat about Mike Milbury's comment about the Russian's playing like Euro-trash? He's probably going to get a lot of heat for it, but whatever. I love it when commentators say what they think. The Russians did play a gutless/heartless game, and paid for it. Loved the Boyle move on Semin, even though I really like Semin. Good job Canada.

Again, I thought the USA didn't bring the pain against the Swiss. Lets get physical...physical!

Eurotrash?!  That's kinda too far I think.  I think he meant Russotrash. ;)

I thought the US played physical in spots and they dominated play.  They get that many chances next game and I'll be happy.  Hiller was stellar and I did agree with Roenick's assessment that they didn't get him moving side to side more but were taking slappers from all over.  They just didn't get the deflections they got against Canada until Parise.  It was good to see him get his first goals.

What to say about Canada/Russia :-/  I guess nothing.  It was over before it began.  

capt. scotty

I agree with not getting Hiller moving enough, but they played better than the score would indicate. Not too worried about Finland, but losing wouldnt be a big upset or anything. Im kind of wishing we didnt beat Canada sunday, because beating them twice is gonna be hard

Quoteeven though I really like Semin.

Cant say Im all that surprised, Walt  :D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

.Walt

Cant say Im all that surprised, Walt  :D

The Caps are the most fun team to watch in the NHL. Sharks, the Hawks, and the Pens would be up there too. The least fun team to watch...the Wild. Talk about a snooze fest!

I think winning against Canada the first game doesn't matter anymore.  Wouldn't make it out to be the "mini miracle" like the media tried making it out to be. Was it a really big win, of course. But don't poke the bear.

Jaimoe

Hey gang, I don't have much time due to the madness that is Whistler. I'm hoping for a US-Canada final. The Canucks are finally coming together as a team while the US have played well from the get-go. I still think Canada will win by 2-3 goals, but Miller is the best goalie, so anything can happen in a one-off game.

I've rubbed elbows with quite a few Olympians, but the highlight for me was seeing skeleton gold medalist Jon Montgomery drinking beer from a pitcher; I got great pics of him. I also have a funny shot of me with that loser lead singer from loser band All American Rejects; they were on my show, MuchOnDemand, during the first week of the Games.

Talk to you all soon and keep your head up today Mr. Marian Hossa. Shea Weber has your number.

.Walt

Nice Jaimoe! Glad you're having fun, can't wait for the pictures.

Today's game was a snooze-fest or least everything after 10minutes. Good to see Pat Kane get on the board...twice!

capt. scotty

I cant believe my online exam is from 4-515 PM tomorrow and Im going to miss most of the game  >:( >:( >:(

Ruckus

Here we go.  The pregaming begins in 5 minutes.  I gotta say we got a puncher's chance because of Miller added to the fact that Kane and Parise finally got off the last two games.  That said, the way the Canadians are playing, it's tough to be confident.  I think it's to our advantage that Luongo will be in net.

Penny Lane

QuoteHey gang, I don't have much time due to the madness that is Whistler. I'm hoping for a US-Canada final. The Canucks are finally coming together as a team while the US have played well from the get-go. I still think Canada will win by 2-3 goals, but Miller is the best goalie, so anything can happen in a one-off game.

I've rubbed elbows with quite a few Olympians, but the highlight for me was seeing skeleton gold medalist Jon Montgomery drinking beer from a pitcher; I got great pics of him. I also have a funny shot of me with that loser lead singer from loser band All American Rejects; they were on my show, MuchOnDemand, during the first week of the Games.

Talk to you all soon and keep your head up today Mr. Marian Hossa. Shea Weber has your number.

Jaimoe, sounds like a great experience!!  Can't wait to see your pics.

Never thought hockey would be so exciting !!  ;) USA! USA! ...i feel a Toby Keith song coming on....noooooooooo
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

.Walt

Man, was that a great game. But damn it, I thought we had it. I'm a firm believer that there's nothing positive about losing. But, I thought it was great how the players looked after the loss. They were really upset and disappointed, I liked seeing that. It's rare seeing a bunch of millionaires taking a loss that hard. Congrats to Canada. I thought the fans showed great sportsmanship by giving Ryan Miller a big applause. With the US winning both juniors championships this year, having the youngest team in the Olympics, and winning silver...I think we'll be just fine in the future.