Vancouver Olympics

Started by Jaimoe, Feb 05, 2010, 11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

That was a great game.  I would have been happy with either outcome since there are players I like on both teams, but really congrats to Canada - that was a hard-fought victory.

Closing ceremonies were hilaaaaaaaaaarious  ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

capt. scotty

QuoteWith the US winning both juniors championships this year, having the youngest team in the Olympics, and winning silver...I think we'll be just fine in the future.  

Yeah, we gotta let Jaimoe and the rest of Canadia win something of importance in the only sport that matters to them  ;D ;)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

QuoteThat was a great game.  I would have been happy with either outcome since there are players I like on both teams, but really congrats to Canada - that was a hard-fought victory.

Closing ceremonies were hilaaaaaaaaaarious  ;D

And the ceremonies were going so well (I enjoyed all the self-mocking) until the horrendous musical acts that followed Neil Young's great performance. In fact, if I were asked to pick artists that should NEVER represent Canada at the Olympics, almost ALL performed at the closing ceremonies: Nickelback, Hedley, Avril Lavigne and Simple Plan. Thankfully, these disasters were not there too: Nelly Furtado, Sum 41, Celine Dion, Diana Krall, The Tea Party (bad, bad, bad, power trio) and Stereos (a bubble-gum pop band that are more offensive than Nickelback).

Why didn't the organizers book any of these artists (and I was expecting them to have at least one or two off this list)?: The Tragically Hip, Rush, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Broken Social Scene, Feist, Arcade Fire, Hot Hot Heat, Robbie Robertson, Stompin' Tom Connors (he of "The Hockey Song"), Tegan and Sara, Metric, The Dears...

As for the game itself, it was a good one. In a one-off, anything can happen. I thought the US played the best as a team compared to any others in the tournament, and they had the best game plan and collective mentality. In a 7-game series, the US would probably lose 4-1 or 4-2, but these one game finals are almost always tight. Heck, the Russians and Swedes didn't even medal. I'd even bet that if Canada had a B-team at the games, they'd be a gold medal threat too.

I was in Whistler working on a live music show for MuchMusic and just got back last night. I didn't have time to go to any events, but I did manage to rub elbows with many of the athletes and some musical acts that were on my show. I'll write something more descriptive soon (I need to recover after working 10-12 hour shifts for 25 straight days).

capt. scotty

As for the game itself, it was a good one. In a one-off, anything can happen. I thought the US played the best as a team compared to any others in the tournament, and they had the best game plan and collective mentality. In a 7-game series, the US would probably lose 4-1 or 4-2, but these one game finals are almost always tight. Heck, the Russians and Swedes didn't even medal. I'd even bet that if Canada had a B-team at the games, they'd be a gold medal threat too.

How exactly did you come up with this when you were 1-1 against us and it took OT to beat us the one time?

...and WTF isnt Olympic OT like NHL playoff OT and not have a shootout?!!! No matter which team won, it would have been laughable if they won on a shootout
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

How exactly did you come up with this when you were 1-1 against us and it took OT to beat us the one time?

...and WTF isnt Olympic OT like NHL playoff OT and not have a shootout?!!! No matter which team won, it would have been laughable if they won on a shootout

It's just odds, historically, when a deeper team with more experience plays an inexperienced one in a long series. It's an NHL comparison more than anything and I'm compring teams on paper. Realistically, 4 or 5 US players would make Team Canada: Parise, Miller, one of the Johnsons, Stastny (Kessel or Kesler wouldn't make Team Canada). I still think in this short tournament, the US played the best as a team.

To further my point: I don't think Japan could beat the Team USA in baseball, but in a one game final, anything can happen and it has. Look at the most recent World Baseball Classic.

The Olympics are their own bag, and they don't like playing by NHL rules.