Morel (mushroom) hunting

Started by seamus, May 22, 2008, 01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

Anyone else hunt for morels?  I've gone twice this year, once too early and again yesterday (getting a little late), and haven't found anything.  I'm praying for a little rain and some nice 70 degree days because the season is almost over.  At least I've gotten to eat some, my dad found quite a few.  One of them was 9 inches tall!  For those of you who do partake, do you have any special recipes or cooking methods?

We could.

ChronicHunger

Fried  i havent went in a few years and i havent eaten them in a few years but i could go for some right now

kyjed48

I went a few times in April.  Those are one of my favorite things to eat.
[url="//myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin"]myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin[/url]

.Walt

yup, i go. i've gone three times this year, but it's still little cold.  here in minnesota, we're about a week or so behind. i'm freaking sore. but i just love going into the woods, and jumping over creeks. plus it's a good time with my dad. we got around 30 or 40 yesterday. good eats!
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Angry Ewok

Maybe I'm just a country boy, but what good is hunting something that practically disintegrates when you shoot it?
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

searchinbig

Ahhhhhhh....

Beware of false morels!! :o
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

bowl of soup

I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

.Walt

QuoteMaybe I'm just a country boy, but what good is hunting something that practically disintegrates when you shoot it?

trust me, there's nothing more "country" than trespassing  on someones farmland just to use their woods. my dad and i got chased out by some farmer a couple days ago. the reason why it's called hunting is because just like other hunting, patience and hard work is involved. (i hunt deer, ducks, and pheasants too)  i actually just got back from mushroom hunting. climbed a lot of hills, sweat my ass off, and got dirty...than we found some mushrooms. about 30-40 again, but most were really good sized.

.Walt

Hey Hawkeye. You gone out yet? I'd think it'd be a little warmer a little further south of here. I actually went out today for like 6 hours. Nothing. Still a little cold here. Maybe 60-61. Man it was fun though. Lots of Wildlife, I guess that made it worth it. Good luck this year brother.

Hawkeye

I did go last Sunday.  Dad and I found about 10 small ones.  I mean SMALL.  The biggest 3 were maybe 1.5 cm but the rest would be measured in millimeters.  I'll definitely go again this weekend.  Maybe tonight.  The weather has been somewhat cold here yet, but it's warming up.
We could.

.Walt

Wow, I gotta give it up for the honesty. I would have "fish storied" it up. But anytime, is a good time. Where do you usually go? I was at a State Park today. It's usually hunted by many, but thought I could get a head start on the competition. We've been working 4, 10 hour days. Fridays are going to be spent in the woods.  8-)

wharf rat

I took my boys out last week a couple of days after a nice rain, but we had no luck at all.
Hawkeye, the only way I've ever prepared them is coated in some flour and salt/pepper and sauteed up in butter.  Tasty!  I don't always do this, but my uncle told me to always soak them for an hour or two in salt water to get rid of any little critters that might be hiding out.

.Walt

Sweet Wharf Rat. It's awesome that you're passing it on. My dad usually does the whole salt and water bit too. So what type of woods do you go into? State Park, a friends land, or something even cooler? Good luck this year!

Here's a 2009 progression map. It's big, so I'll just post the site, not the picture. Cool website too, check it.

http://thegreatmorel.com/2009.html

capt. scotty

Not to sound like a dumbass, but do a lot of people do this? how hard is it to come across them? how/why do they grow in 1 place or another as opposeed to another species of shroom?

Ive seen Morels at the grocery store - for like $16/lb - but I never knew people actually searched for them
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

.Walt

QuoteNot to sound like a dumbass, but do a lot of people do this? how hard is it to come across them? how/why do they grow in 1 place or another as opposeed to another species of shroom?

Ive seen Morels at the grocery store - for like $16/lb - but I never knew people actually searched for them

I wouldn't say a lot of people do this. Just look at how many people in here talk about it.  ;D  It's not easy. You really just have to look for signs. Dying elm trees for example. I just really get a kick out of running around in the woods, and seeing some sweet wildlife. Going in the rain is the best! My dad sold like 10 dried pounds to some restaurant in Michigan for 120 at pound. I know the local co-op buys them for, I think, 8 bucks a pound, fresh. I looked on the map, Pitt could be a nice little hotspot.

Vadie Stark

Careful out there and sorey if wrong thread for this :)

The government in the Netherlands have recently banned Magic Mushrooms, including the famous Amanita Muscaria, which bears a striking resemblance to the super mushrooms of the Mario universe, after a 17 year old french girl jumped off a building after consuming one of these. And this isn't the first time someone jumped off a building after eating one of these. Perhaps they thought they had an extra life?
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

.Walt

QuoteCareful out there and sorey if wrong thread for this :)

The government in the Netherlands have recently banned Magic Mushrooms, including the famous Amanita Muscaria, which bears a striking resemblance to the super mushrooms of the Mario universe, after a 17 year old french girl jumped off a building after consuming one of these. And this isn't the first time someone jumped off a building after eating one of these. Perhaps they thought they had an extra life?

Talking about any type of mushroom comes with talking about the "Magic" ones. I always get weird looks when talking about it, and when wearing my t-shirt.

dragonboy

Magic mushrooms were still legal here up until (i think) 2002. I had no idea & missed out on all the fun  :(
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

.Walt

QuoteMagic mushrooms were still legal here up until (i think) 2002. I had no idea & missed out on all the fun  :(

One voice can change a nation! If you haven't tried morels, you'd be missing out on even more fun. Sure it's not "putting on a black light and have it pointed at a Iron Butterfly poster" fun. But it's fun. I always thought of you as a fun guy, what's up?  ;)

dragonboy

Haha I have no idea if they even grow here. We certainly do have a wide selection of 'shrooms in Japan, I will have to inquire  :-?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.