Homegrown is the way it should be.......Gardening!

Started by searchinbig, Feb 17, 2009, 10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Quote from: TheBigChicken on Mar 31, 2011, 10:41 PM
Will TRY and post some pics this weekend. Tomaytoes,cilantro,beans,etc....get my better half to help with the computer pic adding ??? ??? not very computer literate,.....just plain ole DIRT literate :D :)....the Rohde Island Red is fine...that lil' sweetie had me worried for a minute ! Thanks for all your good vibes everyone ! :-*

Thank GOODNESS!! I was worried when I hadn't seen any recent updates  :-\... then I wondered if I should ask again and settled on just figurin' you'd update sooner or later  :)  So glad she's good!

Can't wait to see pics, hope the better half can help you post 'em up!! It's supposed to be real nice here this weekend, the sun finally re-emerging after a pretty dull (yet peaceful) week. And once that sun comes out.... these plants are gonna DANCE!! The plance dants  :P  I haven't watered my seed starter tray all week, the water's just not even absorbing without much sun/warmth... they'll be happy for some fresh air and sunshine  8)

Oh p.s. what kind of beans do you have growin?  Just curious, I have a bush green bean called "Provider."  (The picture on the front of the packet shows a plant about 2 ft. tall with a jillion beans on it... so I guess it should be providing!!)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ALady

Yay, great news about that bird, BigChicken!   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

TheBigChicken

Woody- Jost regular pole beans....thanks for your chicken thoughts Alady... :thumbsup:
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

woodnymph

Wait for it..... wait for it....... coolbeans

OK there, got that outta the way   ::)

I put in a solid 6 hours at the Soulflower Botanical Sanctuary today for my work-study financial assistance!  Man... it's hard to even call that work!  It's SO BEAUTIFUL there, just in the middle of the country, about a mile or so down a winding tiny narrow dirt road... just weeded out two of the veggie beds, transplanted cauliflower and cabbage starters, sprinkled some lettuce seeds around, divided a few bunches of garlic to grow around the outside of the beds (organic pest protection!) and scored a small comfrey plant to pot up tomorrow a.m!  I just wanted to keep going!

This is the exact kind of place I will have someday.  Crystals throughout the property, a beautiful log house, a small spring that trickles just off to the side, huge organic garden, tall wood carved totem pole surrounded by mugwort... so much more.. such an inspiration.  Can't wait to watch everything grow and unfold!!  :-D

ALady

Oh man, woody...just reading that put such a peaceful feeling in my heart.  You are living the life, girl!   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

woodnymph

You know what happens once I have said place, right!!!

MMJ PARTIIIIEEEESSSSS serious business, serious firepits........ not-so-serious business, not-so-serious firepits heh  ;D  Just hope everyone doesn't mind waitin a few more years til I find the property!  :P

TheBigChicken

Quote from: woodnymph on Apr 02, 2011, 12:08 AM
You know what happens once I have said place, right!!!

MMJ PARTIIIIEEEESSSSS serious business, serious firepits........ not-so-serious business, not-so-serious firepits heh  ;D  Just hope everyone doesn't mind waitin a few more years til I find the property!  :P

I'll wait....
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

bluesky

:) woody not even sure where to start this conversation with you. I have been actually avoiding this thread when I see it.
Quote from: woodnymph on Apr 01, 2011, 11:41 PM
Wait for it..... wait for it....... coolbeans

OK there, got that outta the way   ::)

I put in a solid 6 hours at the Soulflower Botanical Sanctuary today for my work-study financial assistance!  Man... it's hard to even call that work!  It's SO BEAUTIFUL there, just in the middle of the country, about a mile or so down a winding tiny narrow dirt road... just weeded out two of the veggie beds, transplanted cauliflower and cabbage starters, sprinkled some lettuce seeds around, divided a few bunches of garlic to grow around the outside of the beds (organic pest protection!) and scored a small comfrey plant to pot up tomorrow a.m!  I just wanted to keep going!

This is the exact kind of place I will have someday.  Crystals throughout the property, a beautiful log house, a small spring that trickles just off to the side, huge organic garden, tall wood carved totem pole surrounded by mugwort... so much more.. such an inspiration.  Can't wait to watch everything grow and unfold!!  :-D

woodnymph

Val what is up!  Is there an MMJ commune on the rise?? Is the forum family headin' out to see Soulshine and making a utopian MMJ Garden of Eden?!?   ;D

But whatcha got goin on sis?  What kinda plants do ya have??  I'm super curious now! What's the good word!  8)

bluesky

Hey Woody... Love that you're out learning and doing new stuff! Feeling that need myself. Been at my current job now for 10 years. Commune  ;) Utopia would need to have a large body of water near it for me! Are you making it to Red Rocks? Me  :-\

I started my seeds a little over a week ago (two types tomatoes, purple and green basil, cilantro ~ inside; carrots and beets ~ outside) I do these all contained. A study last year found that in cities like NYC lead has been found in the top 2 inches of soil a year. So it's easier to change that bit out. I also have a blueberry that's looking super happy and some strawberries.

Where do you get all your cool smily thingys?

woodnymph

Quote from: bluesky on Apr 02, 2011, 08:52 PM
Hey Woody... Love that you're out learning and doing new stuff! Feeling that need myself. Been at my current job now for 10 years. Commune  ;) Utopia would need to have a large body of water near it for me! Are you making it to Red Rocks? Me  :-\

I started my seeds a little over a week ago (two types tomatoes, purple and green basil, cilantro ~ inside; carrots and beets ~ outside) I do these all contained. A study last year found that in cities like NYC lead has been found in the top 2 inches of soil a year. So it's easier to change that bit out. I also have a blueberry that's looking super happy and some strawberries.

Where do you get all your cool smily thingys?
What kind of new stuff are ya thinkin' about studying? (or learning/trying out?)  Just today the class I'm in was scheduled to meet at the UNCA Botanical Gardens, and our teacher today was a botanist who took us around the property and pointed out tons of botanical information about the local plants!  It was really enriching, and I feel like I came away with a lot more knowledge about plants!  But anywho, you should ABSOLUTELY look into doing something extracurricular that you're interested in! (...or did I hear that maybe a job change is being possibly considered??)  10 years is a long time!  I'm sure that has its ups and downs just like my general "job-floating" does .. I just get antsy so darn quick, it seems....  ???

So you're doing container gardening too!  Great to hear, this is my first year trying it out, and it seems pretty great so far! I've always wanted a blueberry plant... how long have you had yours + how many berries do you get??? I hear they don't yield many the first couple years, so I've got the hesitation blues about gettin' one!  That's nuts about NYC soil, containers definitely sound like the way to go!

Le Smilies generally come from http://www.pic4ever.com/  I love it, it has one for absolutely everything!

Oh and Utopia definitely would require a large body of water for shore  *no pun was originally intended.... pun was post-tended*  :P

My game plan for Red Rocks is..... that I don't actually have one yet  :-X  But huzzah!  This crazy full-time job is at a greenhouse, and it's seasonal.  They've told me that by June I may only be needed 1-2 days a week!  Aaaand so after June, I have no idea what will be goin' on.. my school will be finishin' up June 8, I'll be trying to swing Mt. Jam before class is up... then I don't know!  So unless I find work out in CO/CA in, say, July, I'd be leaving the east coast by August 1st to drive out to Red Rocks. But then I think someone mentioned the Flaming Lips are playing there the day before that... so maybe I'd leave July 31st. Hahah it's crazy, I just got my fingers crossed!

Hey if you'd be able to get a week or so off and don't mind the highway, I'd love to offer ya a seat in my car drivin' out there!! (That goes for any other friends on here too!!)  Maybe I should post that offer on the Red Rocks thread!  Not to discourage the idea with my aforementioned uncertainty about my situation- if we did indeed make plans, the plans would become a tangible scheduling pillar, and I would gauge jobs and etc around it!  Just something to think about! I don't mind takin' the wheel the whole way, and I've been known to have some pretty awesome roadtrips! 

**Sorry for hijacking the homegrown thread there a bit, but technically 'homegrown' has a pretty sweet definition out in CO too  :P

bluesky

thanks!!! I will pm you woody and tell you more as not to be johnnyyacking....

johnnYYac

Quote from: bluesky on Apr 03, 2011, 09:36 PM

thanks!!! I will pm you woody and tell you more as not to be johnnyyacking....
You called?   :D

By the way, good to see we can now "Remove" a posting we don't like or regret.  Do you see, bluesky?   :) 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

bluesky

forgot to answer your questions woody. the blueberry I got last season, it was already a few years old and produced many many yummy berries.  Also, I started a cutting from a grape vine last season, it's has two vines about 8" long. I do share a back garden with my landlords, but it's not for food  :P

;D   johnny (and did you see I posted another photo recently...still learning)

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

bluesky

Jon T.

I ended up going with some netting over one of my beds and a pot that I have strawberries in.  I hope this works.  I drove about a foot of 1" pvc into the ground and then took a ten foot piece of 1/2" pvc and stuck each end into the pvc anchor.  Then just put some netting over the top.  Its seems like it should work.  We'll see...

woodnymph

Wow, looks great Jon!!!  I like your hoop method, sounds pretty easy and solid! Cute dog in the one pic too  :)  The beds look great though, keep us posted with how things are going!  Ah palm trees.......  8)

My broccoli still looks happy on the porch, and so do my newly transplanted green beans!!  The seedlings are lookin' good still too  :)

mjk73

From earliar this week. They are even taller now. Hoping this is the last cool weekend so I can get them in the grown. Picking up a few additions this weekend from the High School greenhouse to help them raise money.

Maters:
Brandywine
4th of July
Cherry Falls
Chocolate Cherry (a krim cherry!!)
Beef Maestro
Tiny Tim

Also, in there are habaneros. Picking up serrano and jalapeno from the school also. Tons of herbs this year as well as okra and Armenian cucumbers.