Homegrown is the way it should be.......Gardening!

Started by searchinbig, Feb 17, 2009, 10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

Trish, leaf lettuce is really easy to grow. I've grown it in containers and in the ground. I've always just planted it from seed and let it go. However, we probably have a longer growing season here in TN. I always buy plants for tomatoes. I'll do seeds for sweet corn, beans, peas, cabbage, and okra. Have fun with it. There's nothing better than getting fresh veggies out of your backyard and then eating them right away. The fresher the better - particularly for corn. I haven't had my own vegetable garden in several years because the land is rather rocky where we live now. But I get to pick from my 91 year old neighbor's garden. I may not have that luxury for much longer though.

My husband keeps a compost pile. I don't think he does anything special with it though. But it's nice to have when you need mulch and fertilizer. Good luck with it.

tdb810

Thanks girl! I am really excited!  We have done all sorts of herbs in the past, which is fantastic! We did tomatoes one year also, and I just love the whole process.  I can't wait to just step outside and have all the goodies I need right there.
Another question though -- what about bunnies and squirrels and other creatures??
.....Back at the Model Home

Fully

Quote from: tdb810 on Feb 29, 2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks girl! I am really excited!  We have done all sorts of herbs in the past, which is fantastic! We did tomatoes one year also, and I just love the whole process.  I can't wait to just step outside and have all the goodies I need right there.
Another question though -- what about bunnies and squirrels and other creatures??

We have a Jack Russell who handles all of that, but I would never suggest that anyone go to that extreme. Use an electric wire or just put some fencing up - chicken wire will do. Just make sure that you put it high enough that they can't get in and low enough that they can't slip under.

Jon T.

Quote from: tdb810 on Feb 29, 2012, 09:02 AM

Here is a super simple and cheap net I made with pvc pipe and some netting.  This is 1' piece of 3/4'' pvc as  corners.  Then a 10' piece of 1/2'' pvc in each end to create the arch.  Then some net over the top.  You will need to secure the bottom so they can't get under but not so much that you can't get to it.  Also, I had luck using a rubber trash can as the compost bin.  Just drill quarter sized holes all around it so it can ventilate.  Don't put so much in it that it is hard to pick up and shake/roll around. 

Redneck gardening 101.

tdb810

ooooooh thanks you guys!!!!  this is so very helpful!!! 

tdb810

the COMPOST pile has begun!  Can't wait to get my garden growing in 4-8 weeks - then I will be asking additional questions!  Love this place!

Fully

One of the best parts about composting is that all of the food trash that you have doesn't go to waste or waist (sorry, that was a bad pun). But it is really satisfying to not feel like you are adding more junk to the landfill.

Jon T.

Quote from: tdb810 on Mar 04, 2012, 07:25 PM
the COMPOST pile has begun!  Can't wait to get my garden growing in 4-8 weeks - then I will be asking additional questions!  Love this place!

:thumbsup:
I started ours yesterday.  A few different tomatoes, japs, cukes, potatoes, onions, garlic and for the first time, watermelon!  I'll post some pics once things get going.

jones

Care to welcome a n00b to the club?  I just planted my first garden (6 rows, I would say that it's 15x25').

I just got some bulbs and seedlings in the ground:

- cauliflower
- garlic
- broccoli
- brussels sprouts
- cabbage
- asparagus (it will be difficult to wait two years)
- white, yellow, red onion
- white, baking potato

I have a lot of seeds to start too, but that will require another bed and another day:

- squash, zucchini, several types of lettuce/greens, leeks, peas, beans, parsnips, etc., etc., etc.

I'm already wondering: WHAT HAVE I DONE?

tdb810

Welcome, from a fellow n00b! Sounds wonderful, can't wait to hear updates and maybe see a few photos!

Fully

Quote from: jones on Mar 27, 2012, 09:53 PM
Care to welcome a n00b to the club?  I just planted my first garden (6 rows, I would say that it's 15x25').

- cauliflower
- garlic
- broccoli
- brussels sprouts
- cabbage
- white, baking potato

I have a lot of seeds to start too, but that will require another bed and another day:

- squash, zucchini, several types of lettuce/greens, leeks, peas, beans, parsnips, etc., etc., etc.

Something you'll get rewards out of all summer long! Now get ready to weed.

Jon T.

Quote from: jones on Mar 27, 2012, 09:53 PM

- cauliflower
- garlic
- broccoli
- brussels sprouts
- cabbage
- white, baking potato

:thumbsup:   Good luck!

I think I'm ready to give up beds and switch to rows.  I started with the raised beds just to make sure I was going to stick with it.  I've definitely stuck with it and have about outgrown the beds.

One thing I would suggest is to learn about canning/freezing.  Looks like you'll have plenty and nothing sucks worse than when your veggies go to waste.

mjk73

I'm getting way antsy to start but it's still March and I would jinx the good weather luck. I'll have to wait to plant until Earth Day. I will be working on the garden re-design next weekend however. Cedar planter boxes and brick pathways.

Oh, and I have about a few thousand strawberry blossems in the garden right now. Looks like it might be a bumper crop if the weather can hold out.

Jon T.

Quote from: mjk73 on Mar 28, 2012, 09:23 AM
I'm getting way antsy to start but it's still March and I would jinx the good weather luck. I'll have to wait to plant until Earth Day. I will be working on the garden re-design next weekend however. Cedar planter boxes and brick pathways.

Oh, and I have about a few thousand strawberry blossems in the garden right now. Looks like it might be a bumper crop if the weather can hold out.

MJ, how do you keep all the gnats and whatnots away from your strawberries?  They kept eating away at mine.  I finally had to dig them up and try something new.

jones

Yep, I already have weeds on my mind.  How do you guys address this?  Someone that I work with swears by mulching.  We are definitely going to can and freeze.  The overall idea for us is to attempt to eliminate produce purchases year round (with the exception of some obvious items: bananas, oranges, etc.).  I also need to put a low fence up to keep the rabbits at bay.  Deer are prominent in our area too, but I never seem them in the fields around our house...

mjk73

Quote from: Jon T. on Mar 28, 2012, 09:47 AM
Quote from: mjk73 on Mar 28, 2012, 09:23 AM

MJ, how do you keep all the gnats and whatnots away from your strawberries?  They kept eating away at mine.  I finally had to dig them up and try something new.
last year was the first time we've ever had an issues with something getting in them and it was birds. Insects have never been an issue. I have some fine mess netting that I can throw out if the birds are an issue again, but there should be plenty of food for them this year unlike last year. It's under a 200 year old pin oak and a giant douglas fir so that might have something to do with the lack of critter issue? Also, it's really good draining soil. Not sure if that matters.

Jon T.

Quote from: jones on Mar 28, 2012, 10:05 AM
Yep, I already have weeds on my mind.  How do you guys address this?  Someone that I work with swears by mulching. 

Mulching does help.  A lot actually.  I started off mulching, but now I don't.  There is huge difference in weeds.  The issue I had was that when it's time to dig up my garden and start preparing the next one, you end up with some mulch left behind.  After three or four gardens I started to feel like it may eventually end up being too much mulch left behind.  What I do now is try and pick a few weeds daily.

MJK- I've got netting and don't seem to have a problem with birds, it's the gnats that get mine.

mjk73

Quote from: Jon T. on Mar 28, 2012, 10:19 AM
Quote from: jones on Mar 28, 2012, 10:05 AM
Yep, I already have weeds on my mind.  How do you guys address this?  Someone that I work with swears by mulching. 

Mulching does help.  A lot actually.  I started off mulching, but now I don't.  There is huge difference in weeds.  The issue I had was that when it's time to dig up my garden and start preparing the next one, you end up with some mulch left behind.  After three or four gardens I started to feel like it may eventually end up being too much mulch left behind.  What I do now is try and pick a few weeds daily.

MJK- I've got netting and don't seem to have a problem with birds, it's the gnats that get mine.
For weed control, try what I do. I till then cover the garden in landscape fabric and only cut holes where I'm planting. The fabric helps keep in moisture when I watered. When I pulled it off in the fall to tear down the garden, there was very little in the way of weeds underneath.

Jon- Did you have any berries that burst or get smashed in the garden that attracted them? I've never noticed them in ours.

bluesky

Is it a raised bed you are talking about or beds in your garden that meet the grass?  If it's a grass edge bed, do you use an edger to cut the bed regularly?

Jon T.

These are my beds (raised) bluesky.  Not sure who your question was directed to.

onion, garlic, potatoes, cucumber, watermelon. once the watermelon gets bigger I'm going to mover somewhere else and then put some trellis for the cukes (there are more cuke seedlings you can't see) .

tomatoes, japs, onion, more watermelon...