Best UK TV Comedy of all time?

Started by dragonboy, Jan 16, 2009, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulie_Walnuts

QuoteI've never seen a full episode of Simon Pegg's Spaced, but if I did, I bet it would make my list. Some didn't make my list because I haven't seen them. I grew up watching On The Buses, but it didn't make the cut. Same with Sorry and the Two Ronnies.

Anyway,

1. Fawlty Towers - best comedy of all time
2. Black Adder II, III (and I like IV too)
3. Father Ted
4. The Office
5. Not the Nine O'Clock News
6. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
7. Alas Smith and Jones
8. The League of Gentlemen
9. The Young Ones
10. Extras

Sorry Jaimoe.....your list is totally discredited by the fact that it has Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em on it!!! You must be of a reasonable age because you can remember that dross.

Do you really think that beats the greatest of all time.....Porridge? Or Dad's Army, Only Fools & Horses, Steptoe & Son to name a few?

I'll put it down to your illness. Come on......
Paulie W

Paulie_Walnuts

I have to admit. I really don't understand the amount of people that rate Little Britain.

David Walliams must wake up every day and pinch himself to see if its all a dream. He has to be the most overrated comic actor I have ever seen.....and lucky that he has Matt Lucas to cover for him.

In terms of sketch shows Little Britain doesn't even come close to The Fast Show, Not The Nine O'Clock News, The Two Ronnies, A Bit Of Fry & Laurie, Harry Enfield etc. etc.

Am I alone or does anyone agree with me?
Paulie W

Jaimoe

QuoteI've never seen a full episode of Simon Pegg's Spaced, but if I did, I bet it would make my list. Some didn't make my list because I haven't seen them. I grew up watching On The Buses, but it didn't make the cut. Same with Sorry and the Two Ronnies.

Anyway,

1. Fawlty Towers - best comedy of all time
2. Black Adder II, III (and I like IV too)
3. Father Ted
4. The Office
5. Not the Nine O'Clock News
6. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
7. Alas Smith and Jones
8. The League of Gentlemen
9. The Young Ones
10. Extras

Sorry Jaimoe.....your list is totally discredited by the fact that it has Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em on it!!! You must be of a reasonable age because you can remember that dross.

Do you really think that beats the greatest of all time.....Porridge? Or Dad's Army, Only Fools & Horses, Steptoe & Son to name a few?

I'll put it down to your illness. Come on......

Discredit be damned.

I'm not British and I didn't get to see ALL the shows from across the pond, including the one's you mentioned. Some Mother's will always hold a special place in my heart since I did watch it as a lad with my late father and I love Frank Spencer, especially the episode where he "almost" completed the army obstacle course.

ali

the mighty boosh
the goodies
spaced
big train
green wing
fawlty towers
monty python
black books
abfab
blackadder
a bit of fry and laurie
that mitchell & webb look
the two ronnies (loved this growing up, but that was a long time ago)
hyperdrive (i love nick frost and kevin eildon)
yes minister, yes prime minister
the it crowd

god there are so many...
love a song for the way it makes you feel

Penny Lane

OMG --Father Ted was so good! I was sad when he died :-(

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

dragonboy

Quotethe mighty boosh
You need to look out for Snuff Box Ali (Bob Fossil & Bainbridge from the Zoo)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0775400/

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ali

hey db! :)

looks good (i love matt berry)... have to keep an eye out.

still trying to find garth marenghi though... spaced ONLY JUST came out on region 4 dvd here, so fingers crossed they start pumping out a few more over here

mighty boosh live dvd is pretty cool too
love a song for the way it makes you feel

FACE

i like i'm alan partridge a lot.
and the office.
and OLD DOCTOR WHO!

ALady

Old school Doctor Who was the jam.  I still want that scarf.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Jaimoe

Quotei like i'm alan partridge a lot.
and the office.
and OLD DOCTOR WHO!

Doctor Who is a great series, but not a comedy even though it has comic elements.

FACE

oh true, i guess i could've actually read the name of this thread instead of just skimming 5 words and 2 abbreviations.
whatever old dr. who was funny in a different way ---

Jaimoe

Quoteoh true, i guess i could've actually read the name of this thread instead of just skimming 5 words and 2 abbreviations.
whatever old dr. who was funny in a different way ---

The Tom Baker years were the funniest, he of the floppy hat and very long scarf.

red

this is a long shot, but i thought i'd try: i met a few brits in new orleans and they were telling me about a british comedian (not sasha baron cohen) who would pose as an interviewer for the bbc then catch celebrities off guard.  the one i recall them telling me about is him asking steve martin something like "how does it feel to not be funny anymore?".  sounded like he'd be right up my alley.  

any guesses?

dragonboy

Quotethis is a long shot, but i thought i'd try: i met a few brits in new orleans and they were telling me about a british comedian (not sasha baron cohen) who would pose as an interviewer for the bbc then catch celebrities off guard.  the one i recall them telling me about is him asking steve martin something like "how does it feel to not be funny anymore?".  sounded like he'd be right up my alley.  

any guesses?
Sounds like Dennis Pennis:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dennis-Pennis-Heaven-Paul-Kaye/dp/B0006Z3R72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232516546&sr=1-1

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v654Jh5Z9uI[/media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v654Jh5Z9uI
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

hey, he was the lead in the great 'it's all gone pete tong'! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388139/

which is almost as enjoyable as this canadian classic from the same director: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388139/

mjkoehler

dragonboy

QuoteWatching Spaced. Love it!
Good call MJ!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

mjkoehler

QuoteWatching Spaced. Love it!
Good call MJ!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
This shit is cracking me up.