Best UK TV Comedy of all time?

Started by dragonboy, Jan 16, 2009, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

Best UK TV Comedy of all time (non-animated/animated/sitcom or otherwise all on the same list)

Make a list (max 10) Your number 1 gets 10points, 2 gets 9 etc

Need to think carefully about this...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jaimoe

I've never seen a full episode of Simon Pegg's Spaced, but if I did, I bet it would make my list. Some didn't make my list because I haven't seen them. I grew up watching On The Buses, but it didn't make the cut. Same with Sorry and the Two Ronnies.

Anyway,

1. Fawlty Towers - best comedy of all time
2. Black Adder II, III (and I like IV too)
3. Father Ted
4. The Office
5. Not the Nine O'Clock News
6. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
7. Alas Smith and Jones
8. The League of Gentlemen
9. The Young Ones
10. Extras

Jaimoe

I gotta say though dragonboy, I doubt many Americans will pipe up on this thread. Canada and the Commenwealth countries get almost all British TV shows - not including talk shows.

dragonboy

QuoteI gotta say though dragonboy, I doubt many Americans will pipe up on this thread. Canada and the Commenwealth countries get almost all British TV shows - not including talk shows.
Not to worry, we shall remain a small, select group  ;)

Thanks for the list! I'll post mine after work...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Jaimoe

QuoteI gotta say though dragonboy, I doubt many Americans will pipe up on this thread. Canada and the Commenwealth countries get almost all British TV shows - not including talk shows.
Not to worry, we shall remain a small, select group  ;)

Thanks for the list! I'll post mine after work...

Many Canucks would include The Trailer Park Boys and Kids in the Hall as some of the best TV comedies, but they don't really fall under the sitcom label. And almost nothing beats The Honeymooners, but it wasn't a sitcom - it was a segment on The Jackie Gleason Show.

red

i don't think i'm familiar with enough uk series' to list ten best, but i consider all these excellent:

the office
extras
black books
fawlty towers
little britain
spaced
blackadder

Jaimoe

QuoteI've never seen a full episode of Simon Pegg's Spaced, but if I did, I bet it would make my list. Some didn't make my list because I haven't seen them. I grew up watching On The Buses, but it didn't make the cut. Same with Sorry and the Two Ronnies.

Anyway,

1. Fawlty Towers - best comedy of all time
2. Black Adder II, III (and I like IV too)
3. Father Ted
4. The Office
5. Not the Nine O'Clock News
6. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
7. Alas Smith and Jones
8. The League of Gentlemen
9. The Young Ones
10. Extras

I've revised my list. I have the flu and I'm clearly not thinking straight.

mjkoehler

Fawlty Towers-----come on this is a given
Flying Circus if it counts
Extras
Coupling
Little Britain
The Office

Apparently I need to see Spaced, Young Ones and Blackadder. I do love Mr Bean. Does that count?

I haven't seen enough of Are You Being Served to say if I truly like it or not. I remember 1 episode with the old lady who always talks about her pussy.......cat was talking about her pussy......cat and the truckdriver that was involved in the conversation crashed.

Jaimoe

QuoteFawlty Towers-----come on this is a given
Flying Circus if it counts
Extras
Coupling
Little Britain
The Office

Apparently I need to see Spaced, Young Ones and Blackadder. I do love Mr Bean. Does that count?

I haven't seen enough of Are You Being Served to say if I truly like it or not. I remember 1 episode with the old lady who always talks about her pussy.......cat was talking about her pussy......cat and the truckdriver that was involved in the conversation crashed.

Black Adder I isn't very funny, but give it a try. At least its historical and it has a good cast, epecially Rowan Atkinson and the great Brian Blessed (as his father Richard the Lionheart). Black Adder II, III and IV are all great, featuring Atkinson as Adder and a young Hugh Laurie and a few more famous Brits.

red

the ecstasy episode of 'spaced' is one of the greatest things ever.  and the "gun fight" in another episode.

mjkoehler

Spaced and Black Adder added to netflix queue.

Jaimoe

QuoteSpaced and Black Adder added to netflix queue.

Add Father Ted on there too. Three Irish priests banished to an island, living together. One is a brain-dead drunk, one is almost retarded and Ted, well he's a closeted swinger. Hilarious stuff.

mjkoehler

Add Father Ted on there too. Three Irish priests banished to an island, living together. One is a brain-dead drunk, one is almost retarded and Ted, well he's a closeted swinger. Hilarious stuff.
Done. That sounds like the start of a great joke btw.

Jaimoe

Done. That sounds like the start of a great joke btw.

Father Jack, the drunk, can only say a few words since his brain is fried:
"Drink, arse, girls, gob-shite!"

Ted is smart, but he was banished to the island, Craggy Island, because he was accused of stealing money from the church, although he said the "money was just resting in my account."

Father Ted was one of the most popular BBC shows ever.

mjkoehler

Can't wait. Netflix queue was getting low.

Jaimoe

QuoteCan't wait. Netflix queue was getting low.

It's a fact that if and when you ever meet an Irishman or woman, whenever you agree with them on something, say the following and they will always get it: "Ah, you're right there, Ted."

dragonboy

Ali G (right back from when he started out doing segments on the The 11O'Clock Show)
The Office
Peep Show
Vic Reeves Big Night Out
Phoenix Nights
Monty Python
Only Fools & Horses
Spaced
Extras
Fast Show

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
Fawlty Towers
Trigger Happy TV
Gavin & Stacy
That Peter Kay Thing
Grass
I'm Alan Partridge
Ideal
Benidorm
Little Britain
Mighty Boosh
Brass Eye
The Day Today
Black Books
I Am Not An Animal  
Dad's Army
Last Of The Summer Wine
Porridge

Could never get into Black Adder, haven't seen a single episode of Father Ted or League of Gentlemen...

bold99

Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

dragonboy