Best UK TV Comedy of all time?

Started by dragonboy, Jan 16, 2009, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

Quotebrass eye?
If you like Brass Eye then look out for The Day Today, another excellent Chris Morris creation...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjkoehler

Ok, watching season 1 of Black Books. This is great stuff.

Leontheslut

Spaced and Blackbooks. The Brit version of the Office is pretty fantastic. There may be better stuff out there, I'm not bvery deep into the media.
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

dragonboy

QuoteSpaced and Blackbooks. The Brit version of the Office is pretty fantastic. There may be better stuff out there, I'm not bvery deep into the media.
Have seen Shaun Of The Dead & Hot Fuzz?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Leontheslut

Yup. I was a big fan of Pegg and Frost before SotD. I have a friend who is a bit of a Brit slut so he always passes on the best stuff he comes across. Spaced was amongst some of that stuff. Then SotD came out and it took them to a new level.

Another awesome comedy is Man Stroke Woman with Nick Frost
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

dragonboy

QuoteYup. I was a big fan of Pegg and Frost before SotD. I have a friend who is a bit of a Brit slut so he always passes on the best stuff he comes across. Spaced was amongst some of that stuff. Then SotD came out and it took them to a new level.

Hopefully his his part in Star Trek will get him some better roles. How to Lose Friends & Alienate People was disappointing & I've heard mostly negative things about The Big Nothing & Run Fatboy.

Nick Frost is great. I like Man Stroke Woman & even bought his Danger! 50,000 Volts:

Fav sketch from Man Stroke:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE[/media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE

capt. scotty

I couldnt even make it through "How to Lose Friends", but I thought "Big Nothing" was funny and entertaining. Not just because of Pegg either, David Schwimmer was pretty damn funny  ::)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mjkoehler

Hey DB, Gavin and Stacey is finally coming to the US on DVD so I can watch it properly instead off a website. Makes me think of one of my other favs, Coupling. Did you ever watch it? Thoughts?

dragonboy

QuoteHey DB, Gavin and Stacey is finally coming to the US on DVD so I can watch it properly instead off a website. Makes me think of one of my other favs, Coupling. Did you ever watch it? Thoughts?
Haven't seen Coupling but I really love Gavin & Stacy! Everyone should watch it when it comes to US TV.

Will check out Coupling now...

mjkoehler

QuoteHey DB, Gavin and Stacey is finally coming to the US on DVD so I can watch it properly instead off a website. Makes me think of one of my other favs, Coupling. Did you ever watch it? Thoughts?
Haven't seen Coupling but I really love Gavin & Stacy! Everyone should watch it when it comes to US TV.

Will check out Coupling now...
Jeff is one of the funniest damn characters ever. Seasons 1-3 are fantastic. 4 slips but is still funny

... About pissed myself when Bryn started singing James Blunt

red

"Can we not talk about my dead mother's breasts?"

Just re-watching The Office special.  I'm still convinced it's the greatest thing that's ever aired on television.  

Leontheslut

QuoteYup. I was a big fan of Pegg and Frost before SotD. I have a friend who is a bit of a Brit slut so he always passes on the best stuff he comes across. Spaced was amongst some of that stuff. Then SotD came out and it took them to a new level.

Hopefully his his part in Star Trek will get him some better roles. How to Lose Friends & Alienate People was disappointing & I've heard mostly negative things about The Big Nothing & Run Fatboy.

Nick Frost is great. I like Man Stroke Woman & even bought his Danger! 50,000 Volts:

Fav sketch from Man Stroke:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE[/media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE
I agree on How to Lose friends but you HAVE to check out Run Fatboy Run. That flick was great! It does lack Frost but Hank Azaria (SP) more than makes up for it.

dragonboy

QuoteI agree on How to Lose friends but you HAVE to check out Run Fatboy Run. That flick was great! It does lack Frost but Hank Azaria (SP) more than makes up for it.
I just checked & it comes out on DVD here in June (again, how behind is Japan?!! Burn After Reading just opened in theaters!) Big Nothing is already out so I've added them both to my rental list.

Did you see that he's currently filming Spielberg's Tintin movie?

Here's a great pic of Pegg & Frost reenacting a classic scene from SotD for Empire magazine's 20th B'day issue: http://www.empireonline.com/20/birthday-portfolio/6.asp

capt. scotty

QuoteI agree on How to Lose friends but you HAVE to check out Run Fatboy Run. That flick was great! It does lack Frost but Hank Azaria (SP) more than makes up for it.
I just checked & it comes out on DVD here in June (again, how behind is Japan?!! Burn After Reading just opened in theaters!) Big Nothing is already out so I've added them both to my rental list.

And I thought Japan was ahead of the curve in everything  ;D

Thats crazy BAR hasnt even come out in theaters yet  :o

And just so you dont get pissed at me if you hate Big Nothing, its a stupid comedy. Not slapstick stupid, but the characters doing stupid things, stupid. So as long as you think you can enjoy that, I think its funny
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

dragonboy

And I thought Japan was ahead of the curve in everything  ;D

Thats crazy BAR hasnt even come out in theaters yet  :o

And just so you dont get pissed at me if you hate Big Nothing, its a stupid comedy. Not slapstick stupid, but the characters doing stupid things, stupid. So as long as you think you can enjoy that, I think its funny
Yeah Japan sucks for movies! Other Asians countries get them (movies) at the same time as the US, I guess because they're readily available on pirate DVDs @ the same time but Japan doesn't have a pirate movie 'industry' & the movies do better if one or some of the actors/director come over to promote the film so they have to fit it into their schedule, which is sometimes months later.
In good news we do get the big3 for this summer (Star Trek, Transformers & T:Salvation) @ about the same time.

Don't worry, I have read your disclaimer RE:Big Nothing & will not hold you responsible if I don't rate it  ;)  

mjkoehler

Series 3 of Gavin & Stacy starts apparently on Oct 26th or the 29th. Didn't think they were making a 3rd one. hmmmmm

Weeks Go by Like Days

QuoteI've never seen a full episode of Simon Pegg's Spaced, but if I did, I bet it would make my list. Some didn't make my list because I haven't seen them. I grew up watching On The Buses, but it didn't make the cut. Same with Sorry and the Two Ronnies.

Anyway,

1. Fawlty Towers - best comedy of all time
2. Black Adder II, III (and I like IV too)
3. Father Ted
4. The Office
5. Not the Nine O'Clock News
6. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
7. Alas Smith and Jones
8. The League of Gentlemen
9. The Young Ones
10. Extras

I can't believe Steve Coogans "I am Allen Partridge" has not been mentioned!

Jaimoe

QuoteI've never seen a full episode of Simon Pegg's Spaced, but if I did, I bet it would make my list. Some didn't make my list because I haven't seen them. I grew up watching On The Buses, but it didn't make the cut. Same with Sorry and the Two Ronnies.

Anyway,

1. Fawlty Towers - best comedy of all time
2. Black Adder II, III (and I like IV too)
3. Father Ted
4. The Office
5. Not the Nine O'Clock News
6. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
7. Alas Smith and Jones
8. The League of Gentlemen
9. The Young Ones
10. Extras

I can't believe Steve Coogans "I am Allen Partridge" has not been mentioned!

I still haven't seen it. I want to and will soon enough. I never got into Red Dwarf though.

MarkW

Loving the new series of Armstrong and Miller which has just started in the UK.  This is from an earlier series..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdAlYF67r9E[/media]
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Sparkle

QuoteLoving the new series of Armstrong and Miller which has just started in the UK.  This is from an earlier series..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdAlYF67r9E[/media]

Brilliant!