The Fitness Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jan 08, 2010, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon T.

Quote from: jones on Nov 02, 2011, 10:26 AM
So, you really like the Mizunos?  I am due for a new pair and I used their shoe finder tool and it suggested the Nirvana 7, $130 on Zappos.  That is about what I would expect to pay for quality running shoes anyway.  Asics' top of the line Kayano sells for $140 on the same site.

I got fitted for shoes a few years ago and was recommended Mizunos.  I loved them and have used them ever since.  Of course, my knee is as stable as a bowl of jelly now and I'll probably never be able to run again.  I don't think it's from the shoes, though.

jones

I guess that the Asics Kayanos aren't their top of the line shoe anymore.  The Kinsei 4 goes for $185.  I hope they are good shoes!

Really, I don't mind paying more for a superior product, especially considering how hard running can be on your body.  You also have to consider how many hours you will be pounding the pavement in that pair of shoes.  With that in mind, it's definitely not an area to cut corners.  I think that I would need to try those on first, though!

Penny Lane

Yeah $130 sounds about right. I'm not sure about specific models, though.
I'm sure if it's Mizuno, they're good. Sometimes I'll go into the store and try them on, then go online to Dick's or Sports Authority to get them as cheap as possible.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjk73

I'll be visiting the folks at the nice runners store near the offices to do a special fitting. I'm already getting the death stare about wanting to spend 80-140 on a pair of running shoes. It's that or $40 copay every Dr visit and it's been 4 visits with more to come, $300 inserts to help my arch, and the $70 I had to pay for the sexy panty dropping night split boot. Yeah, $120 seeps steep.  ::)

jones

Do you want me to talk to her?  I can justify anything!

Pay now or pay later!

It's an investment in your health!

...and so on and so on...

mjk73

That was my argument. Never marry someone who went to school to be an account. CHEAP.

Jaimoe

Quote from: mjk73 on Nov 03, 2011, 10:29 AM
That was my argument. Never marry someone who went to school to be an account. CHEAP.

You missed "ant". I'll add teacher to the cheap list.

mjk73

Quote from: Jaimoe on Nov 03, 2011, 07:46 PM
Quote from: mjk73 on Nov 03, 2011, 10:29 AM

You missed "ant". I'll add teacher to the cheap list.
It's what happens when you type on a crappy keyboard at work.

rashmi kamani

I am very serious with my health and fitness. I will do any thing that suits best for my fitness health. Earlier i was very fat and so i started running in morning. I walked for 5 to 6 Kilometers daily. Walking is not enough to become fit but we must be involved in some sports like cricket or football or Tennis. I am a football players and i play football for 3 hours daily. We must stop eating fatty foods like Pizza, Burger, and many more. Always have fruits as that keeps us healthy and fit.     
Rashmi Kamani

jones

Well, I got fitted and wound up with these:

Mizuno Wave Elixir 6 ($110)

I tried on about 6 pair of various shoes with moderate arch support (mild over-pronator, apparantly).  Several of them felt "good", but these were noticeably different when my heel struck (in a good way).  I'll take them out for a test flight tomorrow.

/My left foot is like half a size longer than my right.  WTF?  I did not know this.

mjk73

Nice. I went through several fittings. Went with these. They are like running on pillows.

jones

Good deal.  I've been wearing mine around the house to help break them in before my first run and....

...they already feel like they are molds of my feet and I've been wearing them for a month.  That's a good sign, I hope.

jones

WHAT'S UP, SLACKERS???

mjk73

Still running, bum foot and all. 25-30 miles a week....Waiting for April 10th with baited breath. Disney Marathon registration starts than and they do anticipate a sell out on the Goofy Challage. because just doing a marathon ain't enough, I need to run the 1/2 marathon the day before.  :o

Hawkeye

Road the MTB the other day, on the road...but that's been about it for a LOOONNNGG TIME  :embarassed:
We could.

jones

That sucks about your foot, mjk and dammit, Hawk, those knobbies are meant for dirt!!!

I've been running as well and I completed a brutal monthly 3 race winter mountain bike series in northern Georgia (got a sweet belt buckle for that).  I also did a duathlon (5K/15 mi/5K) last month.  I have a 65 mile MTB race at the end of April, the Flying Pig marathon in Cincy in May, a half Ironman in July, and the real deal of a full IM in November.  I also started going to CrossFit about 6 weeks ago and I really like it.  It almost makes me puke sometimes, but I do like it. :)

mjk73

Thankfully the planters issue isn't really an issue anymore between stretching and the dreaded night split. But the damn heel spur I have sucks. Last time I had it checked, doctor said really isn't nothing they can do other than a cort shot which already wore off.

johnnYYac

Quote from: jones on Mar 13, 2012, 01:40 PM
WHAT'S UP, SLACKERS???
Love the new avatar, Rowan!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

jones

I feel for you, man.  I have been lucky in the injury department so far.

Yeah, jY, I thought that was pretty great, too!  Recovery drinks are very important to proper healing.  There are t-shirts available with that image and I've thought about getting one for a while now, but never have for some reason...

artump

For the latter part of 2011, I embarked on this new fitness regimen though it was not really easy to keep up with it.  I tried going with the usual crash diet and it was great until you start binging on too much because you just feel so hungry and would like to qualify it as your cheat day.

Not really something that would feel good if you ask me. So when you want to start some fitness regimen, it will be always about a balanced workout and controlled diet.