the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

primushead

I read Starship Troopers a while back (maybe high school sometime?) and it was very mind blowing.  Nothing like the movie at all, which was great.  It's a fantastic sci-fi novel.

I'm in the midst of reading 'Your Government Failed You' by Richard A. Clarke.  I love reading damning writing from people that know what they're talking about.  GREAT read.

Foxtrot76

QuoteI knew there was a thread like this, somewhere! Thanks, G!

Right now, I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Thus far, it's really good - I have a feeling I might even finish this one before the week is over!

Next on the list...

World War Z by Max Brooks
John Adams by David McCullough
1776 by David McCullough
For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

Really enjoyed The Road. It's a pretty cryptic book, and a quick read. Relatively sad one too....

Angry Ewok

QuoteReally enjoyed The Road. It's a pretty cryptic book, and a quick read. Relatively sad one too....

Yeah, I'm probably half-way through and I've only been reading since this morning... You're right about one thing - it is sad, horrendously so, at times. Would make a freaking sick movie.

And I don't mean "sick" like "cool"... parts of the book are just sick, and harrowing, and terrible.

Great book, though.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Jenny

reading a graphic tragicomic called "Fun Home".
It's alright. Very quick and interesting. An autobiography in comic form.

stuff like this

Angry Ewok

Finished reading The Road in a single day... and I worked 8 to 5. Wow.

Great book.

Jenny

also i was just given a lot of john porcellino:

and chris ware (jimmy corrgan: the smartest kid on earth)
and daniel clowes:

a lot of mini comics.

Foxtrot76

QuoteFinished reading The Road in a single day... and I worked 8 to 5. Wow.

Great book.

Really good book isn't it? I love the language he uses in it. That ending was a rough one though huh?

Angry Ewok

I wish we could dedicate an entire thread to discussing the ending, or just the book in general. I don't want to spoil it for other folks here, but the book has so much, beginning to end, that deserves thesis.

Foxtrot76

yeah we shouldn't give away too much for those who haven't read it. Just the commentary on the human condition and the characters perseverence through seemingly impossible odds was very inspiring to me.

Angry Ewok

Finished 1776 today. Every American should read it.

ms. yvon

Quotereading a graphic tragicomic called "Fun Home".

stuff like this

face, i just started reading this today!

was immediately drawn into the writing and the images.  some of the drawings look like they were drawn from candid snaps.

just finished "dishwasher"--dishwasher pete's memoir!  great fun especially if you are on the road.
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

Angry Ewok

Reading World War Z now... I'm not too hot on the writing style, yet, but maybe it'll grow on me.

Jenny

Quotereading a graphic tragicomic called "Fun Home".

stuff like this

face, i just started reading this today!

was immediately drawn into the writing and the images.  some of the drawings look like they were drawn from candid snaps.

just finished "dishwasher"--dishwasher pete's memoir!  great fun especially if you are on the road.

the author is actually so obsessive compulsive that she would take polaroids of how she remembers people in certain positions and would draw from that.

quick read, i liked it pretty ok.

Angry Ewok

Has anyone read Cormac McCarthy's THE BORDER Trilogy? If so, what did ya'll think of it? No spoilers, though! I think that might be my next book, after World War Z...

I've also got John Adams sitting on my desk, waiting to be read, but I'm not sure I'm up to a 600 page biography right this second.

ms. yvon

the author is actually so obsessive compulsive that she would take polaroids of how she remembers people in certain positions and would draw from that.

quick read, i liked it pretty ok.

i think part of the attraction to me is that i often think "when my parents were my age" kind of thoughts.
also, i recognize the stuff in her childhood era drawings from my own childhood, so it has a transportive effect.

apart from lynda barry's books, i haven't read any graphic novels.  i think i'm just moved by how compelling it's turned out to be.
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

AMightyCaporal

QuoteReading World War Z now... I'm not too hot on the writing style, yet, but maybe it'll grow on me.

i'm reading that right now also, i thought the writing is really good though, seeing as it is actually multiple people speaking, the style of writing adjusts.  Zombies scare the crap out of me, but this book is scary but not to much, just an interesting take on multiple tales of zombie apocalypse survival
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Angry Ewok

I dunno... most of the interviews don't really cover much of substance. I realize all of this is trying to weave each interview into a big picture, but I'm getting skeptical at its execution and I'm only 1/4th through the book.

AMightyCaporal

QuoteI dunno... most of the interviews don't really cover much of substance. I realize all of this is trying to weave each interview into a big picture, but I'm getting skeptical at its execution and I'm only 1/4th through the book.

I get where your coming from, to each his own, eh?  Ithought that the book got better the farther in I got, i'm about half way now
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

D. Sinclair

Bumped for Dot Mantooth

Fran's favorite author is Mitch Albom!

No.  L Ron Hubbard!

tomEisenbraun

QuoteBumped for Dot Mantooth

Fran's favorite author is Mitch Albom!

No.  L Ron Hubbard!

?????

My fave is Ray Bradbury. Truly madly deeply.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.