the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry Ewok

I'm almost done with World War Z. Very boring. I can't get too emotionally entangled with any character or scenario here because none of them last for more than three or four pages. It's not all that terrible - I just have no desire to continue reading. I really can't wait to finish it so that I can move on to something else.

I'm bidding on used copies of Cormac McCarthy's The Border Trilogy on eBay, so hopefully I'll either be reading All The Pretty Horses or David McCullough's John Adams next.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

MarkW

QuoteHas anyone read Cormac McCarthy's THE BORDER Trilogy? If so, what did ya'll think of it? No spoilers, though! I think that might be my next book, after World War Z...

The Border Trilogy is a great read.  I think you'd like it a lot, Brad, particularly the interplay of the principle characters, and their development through the books.  His descriptions of the Southwestern terrain are spot on, too.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Crispy

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon
An alternate history based on the premise the premise that during World War II, a temporary Yiddish-speaking settlement for Jewish refugees was established in Alaska in 1941. Very interesting but a little light on details, I thought. I heard Terry Gross interview him - he said drawing a map of the setting was a big part of his development process, and yet no map in the book! A good yiddish glossary is included though, and it's a good detective story.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

red

Finished Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck about a week ago on a Greyhound somewhere in Kentucky.  I truly loved it and it will accompany me alongside Bound for Glory and On the Road whenever I travel again.  

Started Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins the other day (as per Meg/EC's recommendation) and am in love.  I can't seem to put it down.

I met seemingly my future self at one of the Tom Waits shows and he commented on me reading Travels with Charley and how he used to travel alone all the time.  I ran into him outside the next show and he handed me Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett and spoke some of the kindest words I've ever had told to me.  That is next on the agenda.  

Angry Ewok

Finished World War Z by Brooks last night. Mediocre book...

I'm probably going to start John Adams by McCullough, now, even though I'm afraid I may struggle to stay focused through the 600+ page biography.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get my hands on used copies of For Whom The Bell Tolls by Hemingway, Farewell to Arms by Hemingway, and All The Pretty Horses by McCarthy.

beck

I've been reading Global Warming Survival Handbook.  Believe it or not, for a very seious topic, it's written very well and keeps your attention.  The author is very subtle and witty.  You would be amazed at the very small things everyone can do to help stop climate change.  READ IT!!!  

The DARK

Just finished Slaughterhouse-Five. I enjoyed it a lot, though I personally prefer Sirens of Titan.
In another time, in another place, in another face

weeniebeenie

Quoteperks of being a wallflower...
My Friend made me read that last year. I really liked it. Especially the part where they drive through the tunnel and the radio goes out of tune.
How loud can silence get?

ManNamedTruth

QuoteJust finished Slaughterhouse-Five. I enjoyed it a lot, though I personally prefer Sirens of Titan.

I have Slaughterhouse-Five but haven't gotten myself to read it yet. Have you read Breakfast Of Champions?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

megalicious

I just finished Rita Mae Brown's Rubyfruit Jungle.

This book broke my heart. It really makes you think about how unwelcoming and harshly judgemental this world can be.
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

Killgies

QuoteJust finished Slaughterhouse-Five. I enjoyed it a lot, though I personally prefer Sirens of Titan.

I have Slaughterhouse-Five but haven't gotten myself to read it yet. Have you read Breakfast Of Champions?

Both Slaughterhouse -Five and Champions are Great reads.

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

purvis9876

Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

mjkoehler

Getting ready to Read About A Boy from Nick Hornby. I really enjoyed the movie against all willing attempts (I cannot stand Hugh Grant for some reason). I really enjoyed the movie.

getinthevan

Having been quite busy with school, concerts, finishing an album, and recording a band over the course of the last few weeks, I have lost track of anything I had been reading.  In a couple weeks when I go on vacation, I intend to read The Dark Tower by Stephen King.  I had promised myself that I wouldn't read it until I finished my band's EP and now that its finished, I haven't had time to even crack it open.  It just sits there, mocking me.  I'm eager to see what fate awaits the ka-tet as they near the end of their journey.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

red

Thoroughly enjoyed Breakfast of Champions.  It was only the third Vonnegut work I've read, and I'm falling madly in love with him.  I'll be getting around to reading Cat's Cradle and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater shortly.

I've put Through the Looking-Glass and the Commitments in my bag, not sure which I'll start come tomorrow.  

Jenny

just picked up obama's dreams from my father...
also, Philip K. Dick's "Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said".  I like this dude.

red

QuotePhilip K. Dick's "Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said".  I like this dude.
Excellent choice Jenny!  I've read quite a few of PKD's and that's my favourite.  

Jenny

i've only read 2 or 3 but i really loved do androids dream of electric sheep.

but everyone's telling me this one is the best.

i'm excited.

crazylove

"The Kite Runner"  What a winding road.......
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

Angry Ewok

I'm at the halfway point in John Adams - this book is just massive, it's a great read.